Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Asynchronous play  (Read 14090 times)

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
Re: Asynchronous play
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 08:57:49 pm »

Dominion and WWF are not remotely comprable.
Complete hyperbole. 
In WWF, I can have five different games going and will not get confused about game-state. Maybe, on occasion, I will foret that I have traded in some letters near the end of the game, and shouldn't do so again, but I thought there were logs to prevent that type f thing.

In Dominion, game state matters way too much. Five different games? Five different strategies to remember, and without complete logs of the game history (like what Iso used to offer), I would be lost. And if those logs were available? Well, I still wouldn't like it too much, but that's just for me. It's still too hard to figure out where I am in the reshuffle and what cards I have yet to see.

My two cents, at least.
Valid.  If they would include game history and game state (ie how many cards are left in your deck like isotropic does) then there really isn't much of an issue here.  Sure you might forget what strategy you were planning, but you have DAYS to come up with a new one or remember it after looking at the game logs.  I personally would be fine with this as an option.  I don't know why people think "I won't use it, so don't bother with it." I'm not saying you're saying this, but other people are, and that just doesn't make sense.

And sometimes I do actually get confused about WWF game state.  I forget which words I placed and which words my opponents placed.  Did they fill up their tiles recently? In the end game how many tiles do they have left in their hand?  I still get by though.

And now I realize I don't really care what other people think the game should be.  I would hope that the game developers have done their market research and figured out what their audience wants.  Call me when we get more information, because that turned out so well this time.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 09:05:03 pm »

Just curious - how are you envisioning stuff like Secret Chamber, Contraband, Torturer, and so on working in asynchronous play?

You mentioned having days to come up with a strategy, but that seems like it would be unworkably long for waiting for torturer discarding/curse taking and so on.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 09:21:10 pm »

I don't care about it, so I don't care if they were to do it or not. They did it? Great! Don't really care. They didn't? Great! Don't really care. Now, I doubt there are enough people who are enough interested in it to make it worth it for them to actually pursue this. But I could well be wrong.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +275
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 09:22:00 pm »
+3

For the record, I was stating that I, personally, would find it difficult, not that everyone would. I do imagine this would not be a popular way to play, though. Many here have said, Why not include it so that people who want it can have it? I say that this is fine in theory, but may turn people off from the entire game if they have a bad encounter with SC/Torturer. I want to save these non-Dominion addicts from themselves.

And yes, I do love hyperbole.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 09:24:26 pm »

Just curious - how are you envisioning stuff like Secret Chamber, Contraband, Torturer, and so on working in asynchronous play?

You mentioned having days to come up with a strategy, but that seems like it would be unworkably long for waiting for torturer discarding/curse taking and so on.
Yes, there will be very long games like that, but then you can just go on to another game in progress where maybe there isn't as much interaction.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 09:28:05 pm »
+1

For the record, I was stating that I, personally, would find it difficult, not that everyone would. I do imagine this would not be a popular way to play, though. Many here have said, Why not include it so that people who want it can have it? I say that this is fine in theory, but may turn people off from the entire game if they have a bad encounter with SC/Torturer. I want to save these non-Dominion addicts from themselves.

And yes, I do love hyperbole.
Best point I've seen so far.  Maybe they do need saving from themselves, maybe they don't.  I'd feel a lot more comfortable after doing some research, but whatever.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2012, 02:04:35 am »

So there are 26 cards that require interaction of the opponent in your turn, if I didn't miscounted. Of course you could play Dominion without all Reaction, hand-size attacks and a few others, and by the rules it's still Dominion. But banning two entire types of card and 1/6 of the pool is somehow strange for an official variant.

Without banning them, you expect at least 1 of these cards to be in each kingdom (having none of them in a kingdom is something like 15%). Some of them are not really bad, Contraband isn't bought that often. Hand-size attacks usually only work once per turn, so you only double the turn length, but Scrying Pool/SC is really really bad.
But what seems unfitting for me is that I might have to wait in my turn. I should somehow be playable in one turn, and I shouldn't wait in the middle of it for 1 to infinity times just because I played a Militia, or because my chain consists of attacks and my opponent might reveal a reaction.

Of course one can try it, but I don't really see it feels natural, so I don't see how that should be priority when you implement the game.

Maybe it should be more important to do a native iOS-app first /scnr
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:07:01 am by DStu »

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2012, 04:47:57 am »

I think I join in this discussion, just to leave my thoughts.

I think no-one disagrees that asynchronous Dominion is horrible. Just imagine a player plays a Torturer chain with Governor for cards and especially for trashing and buys a Province and I have a hand with Secret Chamber, Tunnel, Fool's Gold and Watchtower. Horrible!
But not everyone plays on a "high level" like us and know all the best moves, they just want to relax while sitting in the train. If there would be an option to choose the 10 kingdom cards (no Torturer, Govenor, Reaction cards, ...) and your opponent agrees with asynchronous play, I can understand that some (maybe me too) people would use that feature.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.