Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Coppersmith shines  (Read 1572 times)

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
Coppersmith shines
« on: May 08, 2012, 10:04:24 am »
+1

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120505-210519-0cde955c.html

This is a game I played the other day (as That's Numberwang!).  I was originally going for a Scrying Pool / KC / Monument engine to load up on VP tokens, but Coppersmith stole the show.  Note that there's no +buy, so it's hard to see just how much Coppersmith was rocking.  I had at least two turns with enough coins for 3 Colonies.  And yes, I ignored Counting House and stand by that decision.  It could have been good, but I didn't have an opportune $5 hand for it.

It was the closest I've come to buying no additional sources of coins in a game.  I had all engine components in place without buying any kingdom cards or treasures that gave +coins.  I could have easily done without the +$2 from Monument.  It demonstrates that even the typically ignorable cards occasionally have their uses.

3rd worst $4 card?  No, 41st best $4 card!

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
Re: Coppersmith shines
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 12:58:01 pm »

You know, I'll just abuse your thread for a moment. I had this game today, 6 Provinces in 14 turns with Island, Farming Village, Council Room and Coppersmith. I bought two Coppersmiths one turn because isotropic lagged, only wanted one, but it didn't hurt me at all. I got pretty good draws last turns though.

Comments on your game: Megaturns with KC and Scrying Pool are the key here. Without +buy, you would have gotten a Colony on pretty much every turn you did without Coppersmith, or another Monument instead of it, anyway.
I think it only helped you on turn 10 at all, where you would have had just 6$ with a Monument instead of a Coppersmith, and couldn't have bought a King's Court. And it allowed one Colony buy Monument wouldn't have.
So, I wouldn't just say you could have easily done without Monument, but without Coppersmith, as well.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 01:00:25 pm by def »

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 01:24:22 pm »

Scrying Pool definitely helped.  KC always helps, but I didn't necessarily need it, and certainly wouldn't have if there was any other source of +actions.

I only bought Coppersmith because I knew I'd have problems getting to $7 with just Monument and no +action, so the help on turn 10 can't be underestimated.

The game is noteworthy in my mind for two reasons.  First of all, pure Copper strategies are fun, especially in Colony games.  Secondly, there was a ton of potential here, which is masked by the lack of +buy.  I generated $34 on turn 17 in a game where I couldn't use it.  If I had ample +buy, there was serious mega-turn opportunity, since I could have loaded up on KC, Coppersmith, and whatever else.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 05:38:01 pm »

At some point during each game do you say "Lets rotate the board"?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 07:33:05 pm »

Yeah, +Action/+Card engines with Buy are basically catnip for Coppersmith. Here's a recent one, with a bevy of Village options, Pawn for +Buy, and Rabble as the +Card- not the strongest of attacks, but definitely an incentive to go mega-turn.

Coppersmith is a poor man's Bank, and should be used as such.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.