Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ambassador/Governor strategy loses to Baron/Haggler?  (Read 1270 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Ambassador/Governor strategy loses to Baron/Haggler?
« on: May 07, 2012, 10:51:13 pm »

I have no idea how this happened.  Is Ambassador just too slow?

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/07/game-20120507-194847-620eba3a.html

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Re: Ambassador/Governor strategy loses to Baron/Haggler?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 11:14:41 pm »

While I don't know for sure that Amb->Governor is good, it probably is. The mentality might be different than usual because the game will be short (meaning you probably won't have time to spam many curses). Here are some nitpicks on particular turns.

Turn 4: Buying a Spy here is basically doing nothing, since there is no deck attack to combo it with. Since you're aiming for Governors, better to buy something that'll help you get there. A Silver is boring but might be the right choice. I'd also consider a Walled Village if you're aiming to buy more terminals (probably another Amb or a Haggler).

Turn 5: Buying a Great Hall here is doing nothing at all. At this point, since your opponent isn't Ambing you back, you don't need to be so aggressive with returning coppers. Hitting $5 is perhaps more urgent, since Governor is present so the game is likely to be quick. I'd seriously consider returning 0 coppers and buying a $5 card. You'll have the opportunity to return those coppers later.

Turn 6: Again, if your opponent is not playing Amb, you can be more gentle with your copper returns. If you haven't got a Governor yet, I think it's better to return the 1 estate here and then buy something that costs $3. If you have bought a Governor already, it might be worth returning the coppers and using this turn to buy a curse, depending on how tight your deck feels. Eventually you'll want that curse to feed to Amb, so might as well take advantage of the null turn to buy it. It's a difficult call to make without being in the game.

Turn 8: Notice how your Governor purchase here is actually 3 turns later than it needed to be.

Later on, I'm not sure what the best play with Governor is, but I'd think that remodeling Silvers into Governors would be reasonable. You really want more than 2 Governors.

My feeling is that, at first, you'll want to use your Governors for draw. Since your deck is small, this doesn't help your opponent too much. This will allow you to Amb away the remaining coppers and estates, then spend $5 on a new Governor.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 11:19:27 pm by blueblimp »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 11:56:53 pm »

Also, if you had observed PPR, you would have had the chance to end the game on your own terms (actually, you would have ended the game on your own terms by Governor'ing a Gold into a Province and buying an Estate).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 11:59:05 pm by dondon151 »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 07:07:21 am »

I think you were marginally light in treasure early on but that wouldn't have been fatal on its own. Perhaps you could have finished with governor/haggler instead of governor/governor.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.283 seconds with 20 queries.