Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Winning With Negative Victory Points >__<  (Read 1272 times)

sparky5856

• Bishop
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
Winning With Negative Victory Points >__<
« on: May 06, 2012, 05:08:28 pm »

game log: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/06/game-20120506-134147-f05e2115.html

cards in supply: Caravan, Cartographer, Ill-Gotten Gains, Ironworks, Militia, Moat, Oasis, Oracle, Smugglers, and Wishing Well. Guess which card dominated the set.

I personally am not a fan of Ill-Gotten Gains. On boards like this with zero trashing though, I spam them whenever I can based solely on fears of my opponents possibly planning such a rush (I was the one to lead the IGG spam). One question I have: Would it have been even remotely considerable to ignore IGG and just go for the Provinces? The game was over in 11 turns; the presence of Caravan (which emptied fast as per usual) accelerated the end-game, as well as, consequently, Smugglers and Ironworks. None of us even bought one victory card. I myself was too focused on IGG, and when I bought the last one I didn't realize that Caravans were also empty, thus ending the game.

So, I won, but this is not a victory I'm particularly proud of. XD I'm putting this in the fail category lol.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
Re: Winning With Negative Victory Points >__<
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 05:37:14 pm »
+1

IGG is usually dominant.  The general (2p) pattern is to buy out IGG, then rush the Duchies.

There are three good support cards here: Militia, Oracle and Smugglers.  In a 3-player game I'd be tempted by Militia.  One on one, I'd prefer Oracle, or possibly Smugglers.  Caravan is less useful than any of these, as your one extra card is unlikely to be anything great (I'd take Silver over Caravan if it was all that was available).

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 05:47:32 pm »

You probably don't want the last IGGs over Duchies often enough, especially when you're not the only player going for IGGs, and even more if the game ends next turn.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 05:43:02 pm »

You probably don't want the last IGGs over Duchies often enough

To clarify, it's often worth switching from IGG to Duchy when there are a couple of IGGs left.  Duchies are worth more VP, and the damage to your deck is less towards the end of the game.  The timing of reshuffles might affect your decision.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 05:45:14 pm by qmech »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.