Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Combo: Baron / Crossroads / Farmland  (Read 3339 times)

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
Combo: Baron / Crossroads / Farmland
« on: May 06, 2012, 04:19:35 pm »
+2

Three card combos are not that interesting (since they do not come up very often), but this one is nice in that it is actually two different combos that just happen to combo nicely together.

First:
Baron+Crossroads is nice combo
Baron works well with lots of Estate density (and is able to increase that density itself if there isn't an Estate to discard). Crossroads works great with higher green density too. The extra actions from Crossroads means you can also over-invest in Barons. If you can consistently play more than one Baron a turn you should be able to wrap up the game quickly.

Second:
Baron+Farmland
Baron+Estate gives you +$4. A couple of coppers and you now have enough for a Farmland. You can use Farmland to upgrade Estates into Barons, Coppers into Estates and Farmlands into Provinces. You should be able to avoid buying Golds entirely.

Then you put them together, like in this game:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/06/game-20120506-130517-23fdc2c9.html

The only purchases I made were Barons, Crossroads, Farmlands and Provinces. It was over in 14 turns on piles, but I could very easily have run down the entire Province pile (More likely three of the four piles - Estates, Crossroads, Barons or Farmlands - would have run out on their own without a concerted effort to end the game on anyone's part).

Open Crossroads/Baron. Play Crossroads first. Discard Estates with Barons when you can, otherwise, gain Estates. Buy Farmlands or Provinces when you get a double Baron-discard.

Fast and fun.

Counters:
Discard Attacks: Discard attacks hurt it a lot - you would be forced to choose between Baron-Estate or Crossroads-Estate-Estate and hope for the best.
Cursers: Curses likely make it much more difficult to line things up. Usually it doesn't matter what you draw with tis deck (Crossroads lets you use your green. Barons let you discard your Estates. If you don't have Estates, Crossroads lets you play multiple Barons, Barons let you gain more Estates, etc.). But curses make a mess of things. Mountebank is especially bad as the extra coppers reduce the deck effectiveness a lot.

Comments welcome.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +275
    • View Profile
Re: Combo: Baron / Crossroads / Farmland
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 08:57:26 pm »

These baby engines fueled by green are some of my favorite. I've also done Baron/CR, but w/ Silk Road help. That was a wild game!
The green engines remind of when I was beaten by "The Little Engine that Could" aka Fishing Village/Moat.

I imagine the Baron/Farmland strategy is too slow to be effective, but I trust the simulators could speak to that better than a mere human being.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 09:49:11 pm »

I don't really like playing Crossroads-fueled engines unless there's Scheme or Tactician to facilitate them, because the risk of drawing a hand that can't go through most of your deck is crippling.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +597
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 12:14:23 am »

I haven't reviewed the sample game, but it sounds to me like a key aspect here is Baron's +Buy, which allows you to keep picking up Crossroads (to keep your engine moving) at the same time as you're picking up green.  So Farmland's $6 price point becomes a major advantage - with a two-Baron turn, you can get Farmland/Crossroads (maintaining your Crossroads-to-Green ratio, while also "trading up" another card in your hand), rather than a straight-up Province (which, the more you do this, the more you risk your deck choking on more green than its fewer Crossroads can handle).

Now I'm curious how Baron-Crossroads performs without alterna-VP to help.  Not buying Provinces with $8, but rather buying Duchy/Crossroads.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.