Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How Can I Improve  (Read 6053 times)

scryordie

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
How Can I Improve
« on: May 05, 2012, 10:24:31 pm »

I am currently a level 25 on Isotropic, and I have been for some time. I feel like I have reached a point I can't get passed. I am getting increasingly frustrated with dominion. What should I do to get past this high level 20/30 barrier? All advice is welcome.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: How Can I Improve
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 10:34:17 pm »

Post your worst 5 "% win rate given available" cards from councilroom.org.

Then take criticism to the knee

scryordie

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 10:49:32 pm »

My 5 worst are Ill-Gotten-Gains, Island, Margrave, Pawn, Hunting Party in order from worst to best.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 10:58:50 pm »

"Hunting Party + solid terminal that doesn't draw cards" is a lot like "masquerade + big money" or "not buying develop": there's probably little tweaks that make it better, but disciplining yourself to execute the strategy by the book is more important than trying to figure out those tweaks.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 12:38:25 am »

Oh goodness, I'm soo bad at "don't buy Develop".

My advices, as a presumptuous was-30-once-upon-a-time player.

1. IGG - IGG rush is really good, make sure you open with cards that can help you hit 5$ like Silver and terminal Silver.  Then the strategy is to buy nothing but IGG then Duchies.  Gain copper with the IGG if you need it all, in Duchy phase, even if you don't.  (maybe even earlier than that).
Don't play the IGG rush if there's another curser in play.  I dunno how much you buy it in that scenario.
2. Keep in mind that Island does not help big money at all (according to bots).  Use it only for engines, even then it is unfortunately weak. If you're losing from not buying it.. remember it's nice with Gardens and Silk Road.  I countered an ambassador opening with Island Silk Road once, it was hilarious.  But don't try that at home.
3. Margrave is a little better with BM than with engines I think.  Margrave weakens trashing even more than Militia does, which with Island in your top five could be an effect you overvalue.
4. Pawn is generally a 2$ autobuy, so either your decks don't play nice with it, or you pick the options poorly.  Pawn helps BM more than an engine deck, because Card/$ drawing treasure can be similar to Moat in quality, a Moat that you don't have to keep playing late game and a Moat you can just cycle away if you don't want it. Resist using +buy for cute double purchases that are probably worse than one strong card.  Unless Gardens or Vineyards ofc.
5. Listen to ehunt.  He beats my hide in tournaments.
What he's saying isn't that novel though, 1 Gold, 1 Terminal, Hunting paaarties and Silvers is a deck I've seen mentioned on these forums (I do stupid engine stuffs instead).

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 03:09:10 am »

4. Pawn is generally a 2$ autobuy, so either your decks don't play nice with it, or you pick the options poorly.

I want to highlight the last part here.  A lot of bad Pawn play consists of always using +Action/+Card, in which case you might as well have not purchased the Pawn at all!  If you have another action in hand, especially one that draws, +Action/+$1 is often a better bet.  If you have an action-poor deck, +Card/+$1 is usually a better bet.  +Action/+Card is only a good bet when you have an action-heavy deck, or when you're assured of drawing the action (Cartographer, for instance, or really good deck memory).

And yet I still fall into this trap.

Grain of salt: I hover around level 30.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

gorgonstar

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 03:53:07 am »
+1

WanderingWinder has some good videos on youtube featuring IGG.  I thought I was pretty good with IGG until I watched his videos.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 05:14:57 am »
+1

watch WWs videos, seriously.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 06:29:39 am »

Oh, yeah, you should. They are awsome.
About IGG- a really good card to start out with is Horse Traders. Trader is nice, too, for both the action and the reaction. Cache is awsome, but it is going out of your way to buy a five dollar card.
Going against IGG- discarding attacks, really heavy trashing (duh) anytrhing that doesn't care about curses is nice i.e. Hunting Party etc...
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 09:01:46 am »

A first step you can take to improve your game would be to look at your game logs and find out why you are losing. Usually you can look back and find out where you've gone wrong or where your opponent has gone right. Once you can see that then you just need to learn and play with that knowledge in future.

If you can't see what's going wrong from the game logs you can try using one of the simulators to replay a game, post it up here on the boards, or just try shuffling up some cards to test out the draws. You could even ask your opponents before a game finishes.

If you know what you're doing wrong but can't still evaluate new kingdoms properly or generally can't prevent your mistakes then you probably do just need some more experience. Perhaps you could slow down a bit more when you know you're uncertain.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 09:26:57 am »

Island is one of the most crazily underrated card. I buy it 98.5% of the time : my effect with is 1.24 and my effect without is 0.00.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 10:50:24 am »

Are you sure that's what the +% column means?  If you buy Island more frequently than Ambassador, Bishop, and Chapel, I have trouble reconciling it with reality.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 10:55:14 am »

Yeah I had trouble figuring out which part of that post was a joke, so I'm guessing it's just all of it :)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 12:12:00 pm »

2. Keep in mind that Island does not help big money at all (according to bots).
False!
False false false!
Actually, Island is my most-often-gained card, at 91.6%. Of course, that's quite a bit too much, and a good bit of that is from buying it off exactly $4 in endgames, but it's by no means a bad card for BM. And the sims bear that out...

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 12:19:17 pm »

Island is one of the most crazily underrated card. I buy it 98.5% of the time : my effect with is 1.24 and my effect without is 0.00.

Really? I would say it's curiously overrated. Unless Silk Roads are available, an opening Island buy is usually madness. You waste an all-important early economy-building turn to... gain 2 points and a one-time-only "trashing" of a single card? (If that sounds appealing, I have some Feasts to sell you.) There have to be better ways to thin your deck, and if there aren't, you probably shouldn't bother thinning your deck.

With Silk Roads, Ironworks, or Crossroads, you can do something with Islands, but... all in all, not a critical card, I would say. Island is Tunnel, except less useful and more expensive.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 12:51:23 pm »

I don't think WW was recommending an island open on most boards, although maybe I'm wrong. I'm also bad with island and would like someone to explain it better.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 01:00:00 pm »

Yeah I had trouble figuring out which part of that post was a joke, so I'm guessing it's just all of it :)

Apparently it's true.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 01:03:55 pm »

I don't think WW was recommending an island open on most boards, although maybe I'm wrong. I'm also bad with island and would like someone to explain it better.

I actually didn't even see WW's post when I wrote mine. I was responding to something somebody else said about Island being underrated. It certainly doesn't seem underrated in games I've played--everybody seems to love the card, and a lot of people buy it very early, which mystifies me a bit. It's nice to have it in the end-game, and sure, I buy it then, too. I just wouldn't call it underrated, since I see it bought a ton during early turns where it strikes me as usually a bad buy.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +597
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 01:23:10 pm »

This thread has further thoughtful analysis re: Island. 

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 01:23:36 pm »

The buy rules for Island/X's BM bot only buy Island as a mini Duchy, more or less.  Definitely not as an opener.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 01:34:10 pm »

The buy rules for Island/X's BM bot only buy Island as a mini Duchy, more or less.  Definitely not as an opener.
Huh? That's not true AT ALL. Look at a couple example games....
That bot might yet be bettered, though, it's true.

Yes, I think it's definitely overrated, including by me.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 01:53:48 pm »

I must have misread Island bot or read an outdated version, I guess.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.495 seconds with 21 queries.