Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: IRL nombo? Counting House + Goons + Inn  (Read 1947 times)

flip314

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
IRL nombo? Counting House + Goons + Inn
« on: May 05, 2012, 06:54:29 pm »

Played an IRL 2 player colony game where (unfortunately) we both chose the same strategy.  Play goons, buy copper, use Inn to avoid reshuffles, and use counting house to pull all the coppers out of the discard.  The only other relevant card was Market to support goons with extra buys and a few coin.

It fizzled for a couple reasons:
-No card drawing
-Inn is a disappearing village.
-Harder than we guessed to avoid reshuffling, and then you're stuck drawing hands of five coppers.  Buying Inn lets you shuffle cards back in, but actually playing them burns through your deck faster.

Getting to play a max of 3 goons (inn, inn, goons, goons, goons) or two and a counting house was a huge drawback and ended up with not outstounding VP counts.

I did manage to hit the combo once perfectly and pull off a two colony turn, but other than that it was nothing spectacular.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
Re: IRL nombo? Counting House + Goons + Inn
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 01:11:32 am »

Well, I don't know how well it would pull together, but I think the goal would be bigger than 2xInn, 3xGoons.  I think you would avoid buying an enormous amount of Coppers to start (or maybe you go for them, I am not sure), but get as many Inns and Goons as you can.   Towards the end of a reshuffle, you pull everything into your draw along with a single (or more for insurance?) Counting House.  You need a little luck to get your Counting House early in the turn, and use it to pull a bunch of Copper into your hand.  After that, play Inns, discard Coppers, play 4 or 5 Goons.  If it even works (I really don't know), I would expect the game to end on Inns, Goons and Estates.   

This could all be total garbage if pulling the Counting House early isn't reliable.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 05:58:37 am »

-No card drawing
Seems like counting house is supposed to fill that role...

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 06:33:40 am »

-No card drawing
Drawing cards from your deck, not just coppers.
Inn is a drawing card...
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 06:43:24 am »

-No card drawing
If you're being Goons'ed every turn, then a best case hand would be Inn/Inn/Counting House, play one Inn, the Counting House, then rely on Inns to swap Coppers for other, more useful, cards.  It's delicate, but perhaps slightly better than skipping the Counting House.

I played a game in Rabid's tournament where Inn/Goons/Horse Traders came up.  The Horse Traders offsets the discard attack of Goons, letting you get slightly more out of your Inns.  (This game also had Nobles, but sadly I couldn't get any of them, so this was the next best thing.)

flip314

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 07:49:22 pm »

good thoughts in this thread.

definitely using counting house to draw coppers and THEN discard them with inns was something I didn't pick up on during the game.  There's still the problem that the more inns you play the faster you trigger a reshuffle, which is something you REALLY don't want.

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 06:04:38 am »

I think even using the Counting House coppers to discard, its too slow and delicate an engine to work, and would be beaten down with straight BM + Goons going for a Province win.

I've also learnt the hard way that Inn almost always needs good solid direct card drawing to be of much use.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.