Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: tactics: turning off the autopilot  (Read 17266 times)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: tactics: turning off the autopilot
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 01:16:51 pm »

Quite strangely this is mistake that I never do in a real life game. Every time I see Peddler on the board, I am acutely aware of its presence and all of the ways to get one. Must be something in playing with the physical cards.

Papa Luigi

• Scout
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 03:03:38 pm »

Probably the hardest thing for me to do is "overpay" for cards. Say I want to go Fool's Gold. I remember the first time I opened a 4/3 with FG/FG. It was so hard not to take one of the $3 or $4 cards, but I had to force myself to do that for any sub-$5 hand. Obviously the strategy will vary depending on which cards are available in the kingdom, but there are plenty of situations where buying the cheaper card is better but I still have a hard time forcing myself to do it.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 04:57:56 pm »

That's not an autopilot thing though, it's just a human thing.

A big thing I have a problem with is buying a gold with 6 or 7$ instead of a 5$ drawing action I need for my BM deck.  I tell myself I'll draw 5$ sometime later before the reshuffle.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +767
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 10:13:53 pm »
+1

Yes, there's an edge case, but, unlike failing to buy Peddlers, it's not a problem I've ever had! :P

The bigger one has always been tracking the opponent's unique cards in fairgrounds games. Many setups that work well with fairgrounds - like remake, menage, or upgrade - can get down to a single silver making stealing it much nastier than stealing a gold. Also, buying a thief or noble brigand to juice up fairgrounds is one of the few times it is worth it to buy either in a low treasure game. Swindler also has this happen - it can be far more valuable to swindle duchy -> duchy and keep fairgrounds worth 2 or 4 vp rather than swindle a late game duchy into a unique (albeit useless 5) that would otherwise cost a fairgrounds. I've even optionally swindled a curse -> copper to win the game once.

Other times to consider this are with taking a late harem over a plat or bank, taking a late game silver over a quarry/talisman, and other kingdom treasure issues (thief only).

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 01:53:29 pm »

Quite strangely this is mistake that I never do in a real life game. Every time I see Peddler on the board, I am acutely aware of its presence and all of the ways to get one. Must be something in playing with the physical cards.
Same here, except with Jack and Possession instead of Peddler.
That's not an autopilot thing though, it's just a human thing.

A big thing I have a problem with is buying a gold with 6 or 7$ instead of a 5$ drawing action I need for my BM deck.  I tell myself I'll draw 5$ sometime later before the reshuffle.
I'm the exact opposite.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

randomdragoon

• Salvager
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2012, 12:17:52 am »

autoplay all my peddlers, oops, there's my salvager...

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2012, 04:53:34 pm »
+1

Discard a curse to Mountebank. (Curses are all gone, it's near the end of the game, and you have a Cellar or Warehouse in hand.)

axlemn

• Salvager
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2012, 04:34:34 pm »

>Doublejack is a must buy.
>Chapel is a must-buy.   
>Mountebank is a must-buy.
>Sea hag is a must-buy.
>etc...

The reason I hit a wall at rank 30 (I'm currently at 37) was that I believed that there were rules about which cards were good when, and it all came down to counting terminals.  Absolutely everything you know about whether a card is good or bad is wrong in some situation.  Remember ALWAYS to think about cards as their effects on your hand, your deck, your opponent, and your score. 

>If I had terribly bad luck at turn 3 or turn 4, I've lost. 
Sometimes games suck and deserve ragequits, but if you have less than 9 curses, aren't getting ghost-shipped every turn, or multi-possessed without the ability to self-sabotage properly, there's a good possibility you have some chance.  If it's a one-time occurrence, luck can even out over the turns. 
Favorite cards: Wharf, Wishing Well, Cartographer, Counting House. 
Least favorite cards: Swindler, Jester, Ghost Ship, Black Market, Fortune Teller

Jfrisch

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2012, 11:30:32 am »
+2

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/25/game-20120525-082815-8c2968b9.html
Sometimes you don't want to discard the estate for +4 money, particularly, when you are trying to run out estates.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2012, 05:57:58 pm »

Keeping Tournament + Province after a discard attack, even when all the Prizes are gone and you don't want Duchies. Came up yesterday.

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2012, 06:19:47 pm »

Or even auto-revealing a Province and then thinking "wait; I don't even want a Prize on my deck which destroys my draw chain this turn".

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2012, 06:28:11 pm »

Or revealing a Province when he plays a Tournament when you know the top card of his deck is an Estate and you want him to draw it so your KC-Rabble will hit more cards.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2012, 06:30:37 pm »

Or revealing a Province when he plays a Tournament when you know the top card of his deck is an Estate and you want him to draw it so your KC-Rabble will hit more cards.

I'm not sure I get this.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2012, 06:37:52 pm »

I'm not sure I get this.
If you do not reveal a Province when he plays a Tournament, he will draw the Estate on his deck. Once that Estate is gone, your Rabble will be able to discard much more actions and treasures.

Mad, I tell you.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2855
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2012, 06:54:35 pm »

I'm not sure I get this.
If you do not reveal a Province when he plays a Tournament, he will draw the Estate on his deck. Once that Estate is gone, your Rabble will be able to discard much more actions and treasures.

I suppose if you also know there is a Goons 3 cards below the Estate, then you'd want to get rid of that. But generally I would think that the 4 card hand + no money from Tournament is better
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2012, 07:09:28 pm »

I'm not sure I get this.

I suppose if you also know there is a Goons 3 cards below the Estate, then you'd want to get rid of that. But generally I would think that the 4 card hand + no money from Tournament is better

He'd draw that Goons at the end of his turn anyway... while not revealing can have an effect, I think it's far enough down his deck that there's almost no way you're going to be able to predict it.  Your Rabble is going to hit cards 5 down from the top his deck (since he has to draw a hand after clean up) and I can't think of any Spy attack that goes that deep.  You can keep track of what he's played and such, but that's still a lot of guesswork.

Agreed on the second point.  Why let him clear the Estate from the top of his deck?  Eh, maybe if you knew he had a Baron in hand or something. :P

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2012, 10:43:39 pm »
+2

I'm not sure I get this.

He'd draw that Goons at the end of his turn anyway... while not revealing can have an effect, I think it's far enough down his deck that there's almost no way you're going to be able to predict it.  Your Rabble is going to hit cards 5 down from the top his deck (since he has to draw a hand after clean up) and I can't think of any Spy attack that goes that deep.  You can keep track of what he's played and such, but that's still a lot of guesswork.

Agreed on the second point.  Why let him clear the Estate from the top of his deck?  Eh, maybe if you knew he had a Baron in hand or something. :P

Perhaps it is time to move this thread from Articles to the Puzzles subforum, because we're certainly outside of the realm of practicable advice..
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.