Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Thisisanintroduction  (Read 5603 times)

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Thisisanintroduction
« on: May 05, 2012, 06:25:53 am »
+4

My name is Thisisnotasmile and the answer to the question you are all thinking is, it is a background lyric from Sound Effects and Overdramatics, my favourite song by my favourite band.

I am a 22 year old male from York, UK. I have lived in Suffolk for most of my life but I came to University here in York where I met my current girlfriend of 2-and-a-half-years, and after graduating in 2010 we decided to stay here together. My degree was in mathematics and contrary to a lot of the mathematicians around here, I hate stats.

After graduating and most of our friends moving elsewhere, I decided I needed to meet some more people in York, and I stumbled upon an advert for Beyond Monopoly! York's friendliest boardgame club where I discovered the boardgaming world... well... beyond monopoly! It was here that I first encountered Dominion which led to my discovery of Isotropic (some time between Prosperity and Cornucopia) and the rest is history.

I will leave you with a few (un)interessting facts about me and then we can follow up with any questions you may have... or something:

- Despite my huge love of music, I have precisely zero musical talent.
- I am not a sports fan... apart from Snooker. Yep, I'm weird.
- I am typing this wearing only my boxer shorts, however upon clicking "Post" I will head into the shower, get dressed, and then off to Beyond Monopoly as we meet today!
- My real name is...     Paul    . Exciting.

Stick In The Mud

• Steward
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
Re: Thisisanintroduction
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 08:40:10 am »

Do you play in the railway soicial club thing? We hold a Bloodbowl tournement there twice a year .

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 09:43:36 am »

...My degree was in mathematics and contrary to a lot of the mathematicians around here, I hate stats.

As Disraeli said, there are three kinds of lies...
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 11:13:00 am »
+2

I am typing this wearing only my boxer shorts

Thisistoomuchinformation.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 11:24:08 am »

I am typing this wearing only my boxer shorts

Thisistoomuchinformation.
Thisisreallyfunny +1 (now I am wearing jeans and a Polo)
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 12:15:22 pm »

1. Snooker is awesome. (go Ronnie!)

2. Quidditch is even more awesome (srsly)

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 12:26:06 pm »

+1 for Quidditch. Go Slytherin!

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 12:26:52 pm »

-1000!!!!!!

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 12:28:58 pm »

-1000!!!!!!
Forget what I said about +1

Mad, I tell you.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 01:58:34 pm »

I like music too. What instruments do you like?
- I am not a sports fan... apart from Snooker. Yep, I'm weird.
No, you're not. I'm not one for sports, either. (except Quidditch[has anyone here read Harry Potter?])
- I am typing this wearing only my boxer shorts, however upon clicking "Post" I will head into the shower, get dressed, and then off to Beyond Monopoly as we meet today!
Uhhhh, ok. ;). FWIW, I'm typing this wearing basketball shorts, no shirt.

Hello, Paul.
EDIT: P.S. +1 for the music

Why do you hate stats?
EDIT 2: Oops, I deleted my post. Sorry.

Mad, I tell you.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 02:39:51 pm »

Quidditch is grotesquely unbalanced and can only be enjoyed by total plebeians.  Go Ravenclaw!!!
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 04:17:10 am »
+2

Do you play in the railway soicial club thing? We hold a Bloodbowl tournement there twice a year .

Yes, we meet at the Railway Institute and yesterday I played 7 Wonders which is growing on me, Citadels in which I managed to start the game two turns behind everybody else (thank you Assassin), Shadow Hunters with the expansion roles (twice) which we always say we will do and never actually do, Vikings which I'd never played before and only a couple of club members like, but they asked me to play becuase it's "totally my type of game", and it was. And finally we finished with The Resistance followed by The Resistance followed by The Resistance followed by The Resistance followed by The Resistance followed by The Resistance followed by ...

Bank holiday is epic because I can (and will) now watch every single frame of the final. My money was on Ding this year which didn't go so well so I guess I'm also backing Ronnie for the final. Never like putting money on him because he's so inconsistent, but when he's playing well it's beautiful. Would be happy for Carter to win too though because he's a great player and deserves more titles than he has to his name so far.

I wouldn't go that far but it's definitely fun. I used to have a Quidditch World Cup game on my Gamecube!

I like music too. What instruments do you like?

If I were patient enough to learn an instrument it would be the drums. When I listen to music, the vocals are the most important thing for me.

Why do you hate stats?

Too much learning horribly long and complicated formulas and number crunching and not enough thinking. I'm more of a logic guy myself and when I was at uni I really got into my abstract algebra courses. Don't ask me the difference between a Set and a Ring now though, I'm the kind of guy who forgets stuff straight after the exam.

paddyodoors

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 01:52:28 pm »

My degree was in mathematics and contrary to a lot of the mathematicians around here, I hate stats.

My degree is also in Mathematics and I also hate stats!

- My real name is...     Paul    . Exciting.

Good to meet you, Paul.   :D

Why do you hate stats?

Too much learning horribly long and complicated formulas and number crunching and not enough thinking. I'm more of a logic guy myself and when I was at uni I really got into my abstract algebra courses.

Alas, only one +1 to give, brother.    ;D

In its defense, there is nothing wrong with stats... it's just applied math, which is to say less pure.  Actually, that reminds me of two of my favorite XKCD comics... found here and here.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 02:16:10 pm »
+4

I totally thought you were linking to this one.

If I were patient enough to learn an instrument it would be the drums. When I listen to music, the vocals are the most important thing for me.
As someone who feels the same way, I'd actually suggest Rock Band as a nice, not-super-annoying way to start learning the drums.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.