Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I started with a Jack of all Trades strategy and lost to an Island strategy.  (Read 1573 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile

I went with double-Jack, but my opponent was grabbing Islands so fast with the Ironworks I felt like I had to counter him.  I thought his Islands/Smugglers strategy would be far too slow, but even when I picked up the Remodel and started remodeling gold I couldn't catch up.  Should I have stuck to a pure double-Jack strategy?

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/04/game-20120504-043100-60edcad3.html

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile

Good question...

I guess the strength of doublejack is fast silver acquisition and getting your $density up fast, but its weakness is the coppers that remain.

Smugglers helps with the silver speed a little, I guess, and and Ironworks -> Islands helps clear coppers / remove estates faster while getting enough VP to make a tiebreaker.

All in all though I'd be hard pressed to say your opponent had a better strategy. I guess the only thing you might have done differently was to be purer to doublejack, and not to take the remodel. On the turn you got remodel, had it been a silver instead you'd have been on province. I wonder even if scheme slows things down or speeds them up, as there's always the risk you'll draw it dead with the Jack.

Seemed pretty tight as it came down to it though: suspect it was just luck that denied you victory.

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile

I think you need to be buying duchies earlier here. Part of the strength of the Jack deck is that it can green early and still keep decent money density. That $5 on the remodel could have been a duchy. You also spent $7 on an island early, which I think should have been either a gold or a duchy. The islands didn't actually help you all that much since with this type of BM game islanding away coppers doesn't really help that much, and you already had Jack to get rid of the estates.

All that being said; I think your opponent also got pretty lucky by hitting 2 of your gold buys with his smuggler.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile

If you're buying schemes then you need to cut down on your number of terminal actions. So for this kingdom the simple jack deck should be one scheme, one jack, plus treasure. Even then the scheme would be likely to push the single jack into collisions with any islands you gain into your deck.

I wouldn't entirely rule out some fancy ironworks/scheme/island/conspirator engine but jack of all trades would certainly make an opponent work hard for a win.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile

If you don't end the game when behind, you're pretty likely to win this anyway. Remodel into Duchy + buy Duchy on your final turn and you seem to be doing decently well.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.