Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Friendship is Magic!  (Read 12859 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
Dominion: Friendship is Magic!
« on: May 03, 2012, 07:30:50 pm »
+8

Once upon a time, far away, there existed the magical land of Equestria.  And somehow, you have gotten there, with all of your ambitions and desires for new land intact. It’s a strange land, where everything is candy-colored and the inhabitants are all ponies. You’ve heard rumors of this place. And by rumors, you mean what a random passerby (passerpony?) told you when you asked her nicely. Everybody (everypony?) seems to be working together to build their dominions.  How will you decide to enter into this world of ponies and their magical, adorable ways?  Will you hoard your money and resources to yourself?  Will you insist on the same time-told techniques that have served you for so long? Or will you truly discover that Friendship is Magic?

Dominion: Friendship is Magic! is a 25-card fan expansion that has been in development for several months now. And that's pretty much all you're going to get at this moment.

I'm very interested to see what people's first impressions of the set are, so here's how things are going to go down. Everyone here gets 3 days to look over the set and make any comments about the theme, structure, balance, etc. that they want. In ~3 days I'll post my feelings about it.

Here's what you do get right now:
1. This set was playtested in about 30-50 2 player games using a customized Isotropic clone. I may release based on whether there is enough interest for it.
2. This set was balanced stand-alone, so there are likely to be some questionably strong combos with official Dominion cards.
3. There are a few cards that are simply tweaks of official cards. If you're looking for total originality, you're not getting it.
4. The effect of friendship is, "At the start of your turn, draw an extra card for every 8 friendship tokens you have, rounded down."

---$2 CARDS---

---$3 CARDS---

---$4 CARDS---

---$5 CARDS---

---$6+ CARDS---

Card Rules

EDIT: I don't think many people will see this. Stealth functional edits were made to Digger, Elements of Harmony, and Jewels. The original versions are below.

Digger
$4
Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a non-Copper treasure. Put that card on top of your deck, discard the other revealed cards.

Elements of Harmony
$2
Action
+$1
+2 Friendship
Has Moat reaction if you have 8 or more friendship. No discarding to attacks, no friendship on discard.

Jewels
$3
Treasure
Worth $0
When you play this, trash a card from your hand. +$ equal to half cost.

Wording changes that didn't change functionality added on Dear Princess Celestia, Cutie Mark, Weather Factory. Balance changes  are in the works for some cards here, updated versions will be uploaded here at some point.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 05:51:48 pm by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Friendship is Magic!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 07:36:41 pm »
+5

I would like to preface this by saying, I actually think some of these cards have interesting interactions and would be fun to play with.

That said, WHY!? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHY!?!?

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 08:02:31 pm »

I would like to preface this by saying, I actually think some of these cards have interesting interactions and would be fun to play with.

Personal reasons.

Also because it was funny.

You're welcome.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 08:06:58 pm »
+1

Rebirth, Parasprites and Cutie Mark seem most interesting.
First one for setup, other 2 as unusual, interesting attacks.
Tho

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 09:03:26 pm »

Ponyville - Satchel looks like an interesting combo.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 09:40:40 pm »

Personal reasons.

You're welcome.

I'm glad to see this came out... I'm sorry I forgot to respond to the mass-email sent  :'(

but still:

1) You're a terrible, terrible person.
2) You remade cutie-mark to be not nearly as evil...
3) Will you be returning this summer and shall we be using this set??  :D

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 03:22:03 am »
+1

Personal reasons.

You're welcome.

I'm glad to see this came out... I'm sorry I forgot to respond to the mass-email sent  :'(

but still:

1) You're a terrible, terrible person.
2) You remade cutie-mark to be not nearly as evil...
3) Will you be returning this summer and shall we be using this set??  :D

1. Being a terrible person is great because it means you get to grow as curly a mustache as you want and it'll still fit your character.
2. No comment right now.
3. No, but if someone actually prints it out...well that would be pretty awesome.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 03:40:46 am »
+2

These "help everyone" cards seem to really encourage the game to a fast end (if something like Governor is any indication)...

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 03:54:18 am »
+2

Because these cards are 20% cooler than most Dominion cards.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 04:44:38 am »
+3

You forgot the most important cards of all: Knackers Yard and Glue Factory.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 07:29:58 am »

Ponies, Freindship, and Rainbows.  ::). Eeesh.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 10:53:22 am »

Ok, what am I missing here? ???
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 10:58:56 am »
+1

These "help everyone" cards seem to really encourage the game to a fast end (if something like Governor is any indication)...

This was my first thought. There are only three attacks and of those: Showboater doesn't actually hurt your opponents, Paraspite doesn't actually hurt your opponents, and Cutie Mark is a fairly tame cursing attack, in some situations giving out only one curse AND letting that play draw three cards. And there are lots of cards which are powerful and help opponents, which will generally lead to extremely fast games. Considering that, Friendship doesn't seem like it'd generally be worth going for, by the time you can get a reasonable amount, the game will be almost over.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 11:43:06 am »

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 12:14:40 pm »
+3

Considering that, Friendship doesn't seem like it'd generally be worth going for, by the time you can get a reasonable amount, the game will be almost over.

Yep, thats my philosophy of life.

Wait, did you say game? I thought you said life.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 02:15:27 pm »

Ok, what am I missing here? ???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_Pony:_Friendship_Is_Magic
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic

Thanks, though it actually turns out that what I was missing is that the internet I was on was blocking all the images in the thread! So it looked to me like there were no cards listed there. I have seen the "This thread is now about ponies" meme before, but I didn't know what it referred to until now.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 02:23:20 pm »

I'm very interested in the code, haha.  I have so many ideas for cards...

You have to wonder how well a Pony version of Dominion would sell.  Could probably reach a decent demographic.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 02:27:32 pm »

These are totally hilarious. And some pretty cool effects!

This was my first thought. There are only three attacks and of those: Showboater doesn't actually hurt your opponents, Paraspite doesn't actually hurt your opponents, and Cutie Mark is a fairly tame cursing attack, in some situations giving out only one curse AND letting that play draw three cards. And there are lots of cards which are powerful and help opponents, which will generally lead to extremely fast games. Considering that, Friendship doesn't seem like it'd generally be worth going for, by the time you can get a reasonable amount, the game will be almost over.

^All that said, I feel like this set needs a card that would absolutely sit on the game (or at least an ordinary, ponyless game) to counteract all the drawing. Something that's cheap enough to get bought fast but will slow the game even more than ghost ship, sea hag, etc. With all the friendship and drawing going around, the games might still be quick, but it could at least let friendship play a larger part.

Also, any of these cards paired with militia/goons is the opposite of friendship.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 04:40:33 pm »
+1

The wording on several of these is confusing.

Is Dear Princess Celestia basically a double-Cellar?

The wording on Satchel contradicts itself by telling you to put it back on top.  For two of the cases you'll just draw it back, and when it's a Treasure Card it tells you to play it even though you've already put it back!

Showboater is not an attack.  It is more akin to Tribute, though it is actually pretty terrible because you could end up gaining Coppers and Curses.  Would it be too strong if it was "you MAY gain any or all of the revealed cards"?

I would rephrase Weather Factory to say something like, "choose a number X..." so that it's clear how many cards opponents get to draw.

Grand Galloping Gala should be rephrased to match Grand Market -- "You can't buy this if you have any Gold in play."

Safe seems incredibly weak for a $5 card.  Am I underestimating it?

Rebirth is really neat and definitely my favourite of the set!

I suggest an alternate victory card based on how much Friendship you have accumulated.

Ponyville - Satchel looks like an interesting combo.

Why's that?  Satchel ends up drawing or playing the revealed card anyway, and Ponyville itself will draw a card before you play the guessing game!

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 04:45:46 pm »

Grand Galloping Gala should be rephrased to match Grand Market -- "You can't buy this if you have any Gold in play."

I agree that's it's a bit confusing, but the card actually says it's buyable if there are no non-gold treasures in play, meaning it can only be bought with gold and cards that give +coins.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 04:50:33 pm »

So the wording should be "Treasure cards other than Gold in play."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 06:07:46 pm »

I agree that's it's a bit confusing, but the card actually says it's buyable if there are no non-gold treasures in play, meaning it can only be bought with gold and cards that give +coins.

Oh whooops.  My bad.  I agree with dondon151's suggestion though!

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 08:42:52 pm »
+1

I'm sticking to my "wait 3 days before discussing cards" rule.

Just realized I forgot to add in the Card Rules. There's nothing really important in there besides some clarification on Dear Princess Celestia and Rebirth. It's edited into the original post.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2012, 05:10:19 pm »
+1

Elements of Harmony can't be mixed with other Dominion cards at all.  And it might be weak even within the set itself.  It should at least be terminal Silver.

Jewels is totally unplayable.  Did you word it wrong?  It's a loan, a weak card, and on top of being a loan it only makes a $ if you have an estate in hand, and loses you money from the turn's purchase if it trashes a copper. 

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.