Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Smugglers  (Read 3698 times)

noey21

• Spy
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Smugglers
« on: May 02, 2012, 03:02:12 pm »

Sorry probably been discussed.  But I couldn't find it.  But why is it you can't smuggle potion cards?  And also today it didn't let me smuggle a duchy.  I Thje wording on the card is gain a copy of the card that the person on your right gained on their previous turn.  Up to 6.  Yes lost by 2.  So I am curious.

Thanks!  When we play with real cards we allow it did I miss something or is this a small glitch?

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
Re: Smugglers
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 03:06:17 pm »

You should be able to smuggle duchies. Likely something else was going on. You could post the log?

As for potions, no you cant smuggle them. No potion cost card costs less than $6. The potion is like another unit of currency. Is $3 + Potion less than $6? Well there's really no way to judge that. It's apples and oranges.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 03:38:50 pm »
+2

Let me just ask the obvious: Did your opponent buy the last Duchy?
You can't smuggle from an empty pile.

Otherwise: Logs or it didn't happen. :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 04:08:13 pm »
+2

But why is it you can't smuggle potion cards? 

Thanks!  When we play with real cards we allow it did I miss something or is this a small glitch?

You can't smuggle cards with a potion cost because the cost is in addition to the cost in coins.

Think of it this way: a Province costs 6 coins AND 2 coins. The 2 coins prevent you from Smuggling a copy. Likewise, Alchemist costs 3 coins AND a potion. The potion prevents you from Smuggling a copy, because it has a cost on top of the coins.

I don't believe you can even Upgrade an Alchemist to a regular $4 card; I think the only thing Alchemist Upgrades to is Golem. I can't check right this moment, however...

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 04:12:34 pm »

But why is it you can't smuggle potion cards? 

You can't smuggle cards with a potion cost because the cost is in addition to the cost in coins.

Think of it this way: a Province costs 6 coins AND 2 coins. The 2 coins prevent you from Smuggling a copy. Likewise, Alchemist costs 3 coins AND a potion. The potion prevents you from Smuggling a copy, because it has a cost on top of the coins.

I don't believe you can even Upgrade an Alchemist to a regular $4 card; I think the only thing Alchemist Upgrades to is Golem. I can't check right this moment, however...

That is correct. Upgrade/Remake has the word 'exactly $1 more' on the card. Exactly $1 more than $3+P is $4+P. It should be noted though, that you can remodel/expand potion cards. For instance you can remodel an alchemist into a duchy because of the phrase 'up to.' So the card you gain has to be less than $2 more than the trashed card. And $5 is less than ($5+P)

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 06:14:36 pm »

And forge simply ignores any potion in the cost of a card. So you could forge a familiar and a silver into a gold, but not into a possession.

yudantaiteki

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +167
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 10:25:55 pm »

And the reason for that is that the Forge card specifically says "cost in coins".  As I understand the rules, I believe that if it just said "cost", then you could forge a familiar + silver into a possession, but *not* a gold.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:29:00 pm by yudantaiteki »

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 04:56:05 am »
+3

Based on this log, I'm going to say that it's because your opponent didn't gain a Duchy on their previous turn, and Smugglers isn't just a turbo-charged Workshop.  You would have automatically gained an Estate if your opponent hadn't just emptied the pile.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 09:40:40 pm »
+1

Yes, or this way: Every cost without potion implicitly means zero potions (just as, conversely, the cost of Vineyard is zero coins and 1 potion). Smugglers is saying you can't gain anything costing more than 6 coins and zero potions.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 20 queries.