Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Guilds  (Read 12652 times)

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
Guilds
« on: May 02, 2012, 01:09:15 pm »
+2

Jumping way over the gun...

I had a (very detailed) dream last night where I was playing Dominion - with the Guilds expansion that doesn't come out until next year. If my dream is true then I have a scoop for everyone.

Here is how the Guild expansion will work:

There is a new card called "guild" (cost $5, action). When you play Guild you get a new junior apprentice. There are a number of different types of apprentice, and a random set are chosen for each game where guild is in play.

Apprentice cards are very weak (ie +1 card +1 action, or +2$, or +1$ +1 buy, ect) - basically what you would think of as a $1 or $1.5 card.

Every time you play a junior apprentice it goes back to the suppy and you choose a senior apprentice to replace him (of the same type - ie +1 card +1 action turns into +1 card +2 actions, or +2$ turns into +$2 +1 buy, etc) and he new card goes in you discard.

When you play the junior apprentice it goes back to the supply and you gain in your discard a journeyman apprentice who is more powerful still.

Then a master apprentice then a full journeyman then a full master.

Since the cards go back to the supply and are only played once each you don't need very many of each type.

It adds a ton of variety to a game and allows for both very powerful cards ( the only way to get a master is to buy a guild, play the guild, play the ja, sa, ja, ma, and fj - 7 times through your deck!), and completely new strategies.

Sorry Donald for giving away the surprise. I learned from Cassandra you shouldn't keep future dreams secret.

Feel free to discuss.  ;)

(true story about the dream - detail was incredible. Only things that were unclear were if guild was a treasure or action, and how many steps to get to master...)

Ed

Ed

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
Re: Guilds
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 01:13:55 pm »

Jumping way over the gun...

I had a (very detailed) dream last night where I was playing Dominion - with the Guilds expansion that doesn't come out until next year. If my dream is true then I have a scoop for everyone.

Here is how the Guild expansion will work:

There is a new card called "guild" (cost $5, action). When you play Guild you get a new junior apprentice. There are a number of different types of apprentice, and a random set are chosen for each game where guild is in play.

Apprentice cards are very weak (ie +1 card +1 action, or +2$, or +1$ +1 buy, ect) - basically what you would think of as a $1 or $1.5 card.

Every time you play a junior apprentice it goes back to the suppy and you choose a senior apprentice to replace him (of the same type - ie +1 card +1 action turns into +1 card +2 actions, or +2$ turns into +$2 +1 buy, etc) and he new card goes in you discard.

When you play the junior apprentice it goes back to the supply and you gain in your discard a journeyman apprentice who is more powerful still.

Then a master apprentice then a full journeyman then a full master.

Since the cards go back to the supply and are only played once each you don't need very many of each type.

It adds a ton of variety to a game and allows for both very powerful cards ( the only way to get a master is to buy a guild, play the guild, play the ja, sa, ja, ma, and fj - 7 times through your deck!), and completely new strategies.

Sorry Donald for giving away the surprise. I learned from Cassandra you shouldn't keep future dreams secret.

Feel free to discuss.  ;)

(true story about the dream - detail was incredible. Only things that were unclear were if guild was a treasure or action, and how many steps to get to master...)

Ed

Ed

I can't wait till next year when this comes out to see what Donald's (retroactive) comment will be.  I doubt he will comment substantively now.  I'd be thrilled to be wrong though.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 01:16:39 pm »

Amazing, a had a Dominion dream last night too!

I was teaching my bro and he kept taking JoaTs from supply and putting them in deck upside-down to mark each hand (5 cards). or soemthing like that  :o

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 01:54:52 pm »

I think these ideas are ridiculous and it will never happen.

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 04:02:47 pm »
+3

Amazing, a had a Dominion dream last night too!

I was teaching my bro and he kept taking JoaTs from supply and putting them in deck upside-down to mark each hand (5 cards). or soemthing like that  :o

I had one, too!

A Young Witch drew me into her hand.  I was there for but a moment before she released me, clearly wanting something else.  "Reveal a Tunnel?" I playfully inquired.  To my surprise, she answered with a resounding "Yes!"  Unfortunately, at that point she tossed me aside, took my money, and started cursing some other guy.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 04:10:08 pm »
+8

A Young Witch drew me into her hand.  I was there for but a moment before she released me, clearly wanting something else.  "Reveal a Tunnel?" I playfully inquired.  To my surprise, she answered with a resounding "Yes!"  Unfortunately, at that point she tossed me aside, took my money, and started cursing some other guy.

at this point maybe we should ask theory to set up a fan fic / slash fic subforum.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 06:33:16 pm »
+1

I'm afraid your dream is wrong. Latest news is this:

The Guilds expansion is all about linking up players to form l33t guilds that can raid together and swear a lot over their headsets and call each other three letter synonyms for "homosexual" in a misguided attempt to be derogatory. It'll be an entirely online expansion and has a monthly subscription fee.

I swear its true. I read it on the internet.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 06:41:44 pm »

Were the master apprentices like level 2 cities?
Wow, that would be cool, someone make a fan card based on that!
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 08:20:21 pm »

at this point maybe we should ask theory to set up a fan fic / slash fic subforum.

I like the ambiguity of the up-votes for this post.  +1 this is funny or +1 we should totally do this?

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 08:29:35 pm »

Umm... http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=1033

edit: permanentnoob's actual blog entry: http://permanentnoob.tumblr.com/post/12758490559/not-playing-with-a-full-deck

edit: (oh you said subforum, don't mind me. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 08:35:18 pm by Axxle »
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 02:37:55 pm »
+1

I've had dreams about new Dominion expansions.  One was blue, and the theme was... well, the closest I can describe it is something like Shakespeare's "The Tempest."
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 02:48:24 pm »

I've had dreams about new Dominion expansions.  One was blue, and the theme was... well, the closest I can describe it is something like Shakespeare's "The Tempest."
Thunderstorm
$5 Action
+1 Action
+ $1
Each other player reveals cards from their deck until they reveal 3 cards costing 5 or more. Discard those cards, and put the remaining cards on top of their deck.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

stevemarks

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 06:15:25 pm »

Thought I'd reopen this discussion here now that we (partially) understand Dark Ages.

My guess for Guilds follows from the fact that Donald X said at some point Alchemy was split off from a larger expansion, with the non-Alchemy cards roughly becoming the Guilds expansion.

Could it be that at one point "Alchemists" were in fact one of several kinds of "Guilds", each of which having a bunch of related kingdom cards associated with them (along with their own specialized Treasure)? I wonder if we may get 2 more special Treasure cards a la Potion and 6-7 Kingdom cards each that can only be purchased with that Treasure. The purchase of that Treasure card effectively allows you into that Guild, and able to buy its cards for your Kingdom.

You heard it here first.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 06:34:34 pm »
+1

I think he's said that what used to be the other half of Alchemy is now Cornucopia.

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 10:17:43 pm »

Thought I'd reopen this discussion here now that we (partially) understand Dark Ages.

My guess for Guilds follows from the fact that Donald X said at some point Alchemy was split off from a larger expansion, with the non-Alchemy cards roughly becoming the Guilds expansion.

Could it be that at one point "Alchemists" were in fact one of several kinds of "Guilds", each of which having a bunch of related kingdom cards associated with them (along with their own specialized Treasure)? I wonder if we may get 2 more special Treasure cards a la Potion and 6-7 Kingdom cards each that can only be purchased with that Treasure. The purchase of that Treasure card effectively allows you into that Guild, and able to buy its cards for your Kingdom.

You heard it here first.

I think the expansion is too small for that.

My self trashing cards fit way more in DA's than guilds now that we know more.

My new (almost certainly wrong) prediction for Guilds:
All unique cards. So you have a kingdom pile of a guild (say Brewers). Each brewer does something related to bringing a
Played cards back into you hand, but all in slightly different ways - kind of like ruins. Imagine a stack of 10 different types of villages.

It would make things much more random, but also introduce a new concept around deciding when to buy a card based on what's on top.

It seems like every other rule was broken in DAs. What's one more?

Ed

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 10:21:06 pm »

You heard it here first.

I think the expansion is too small for that.

My self trashing cards fit way more in DA's than guilds now that we know more.

My new (almost certainly wrong) prediction for Guilds:
All unique cards. So you have a kingdom pile of a guild (say Brewers). Each brewer does something related to bringing a
Played cards back into you hand, but all in slightly different ways - kind of like ruins. Imagine a stack of 10 different types of villages.

It would make things much more random, but also introduce a new concept around deciding when to buy a card based on what's on top.

It seems like every other rule was broken in DAs. What's one more?

Ed

How about this?  There are a couple of different guilds to which the new cards belong.  Whenever you buy a card from one guild, you get a token for it that does something special depending on the guild.  Or maybe you can use the token to make other cards from that guild cheaper for one buy phase.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2012, 07:37:55 pm »
+1

Is it really going to be THAT thematic? "Dominion, Intrigue, Seaside, Hinterlands, Dark Ages, Cornucopia" - none of those names really had a direct tie-in to the mechanics.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2012, 07:41:19 pm »

I'd say Dark Ages, Prosperity, and Cornucopia have decently good tie-ins, flavor-wise. Guilds could have a really good correlation, or not.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.944 seconds with 20 queries.