Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: How I was almost crushed by a n00b with $1 Banks  (Read 17698 times)

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
Re: How I was almost crushed by a n00b with $1 Banks
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 12:45:59 pm »

Depending on the severity of the error / tip - I fluctuate between giving advise mid game vs. at game end.

For situations like "play bank before your other treasures", that's one I would give out right away.  Someone recently ended up with a situation where they played golemn -> swindler / seahag.  They played the sea hag first, and then swindled the curse... so I pointed out straight ahead.

I think I have have been burned once by this in a throne room / minion game.  After someone started throning minions, they did the common new player mistake of taking $2 first, and then shuffling...

When I pointed out that if you intend to shuffle, you should do it first, so that you have the option to either shuffle or $2 AFTER seeing the results of the shuffle, they proceeded to do that for the rest of the game.

I don't remember if it actually cost me the game, but I was definitely questioning the wisdom of providing the tip in the middle of the game.

Most of the time, strategic advise mid game doesn't really matter all that much - since there's really no way to take back the throne room / woodcutter opening.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 02:19:29 pm »

Its an online card game (with no overall winner) I think I would respect someone much more for pointing out obvious strategic blunders midway through a game than for having level 30+ skill level.

Obviously my respect isn't actually 'worth' anything, but thought I would share that.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 02:29:54 pm »

Its an online card game (with no overall winner) I think I would respect someone much more for pointing out obvious strategic blunders midway through a game than for having level 30+ skill level.

Obviously my respect isn't actually 'worth' anything, but thought I would share that.
On the other hand, some people lose a lot of respect for you if you arrogantly tell them how to play the game like you're the be-all and end-all of dominion.
Now, there's some middle-ground here, but it's not so clear-cut as you're implying, and it's certainly a line drawn in different places for different people.

Edit: Just so we're clear, I know that's not your intention. But there are people who take it that way.

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 02:40:46 pm »
+1

On the other hand, some people lose a lot of respect for you if you arrogantly tell them how to play the game like you're the be-all and end-all of dominion.
Now, there's some middle-ground here, but it's not so clear-cut as you're implying, and it's certainly a line drawn in different places for different people.

Edit: Just so we're clear, I know that's not your intention. But there are people who take it that way.

Says the guy with the Dominion YouTube channel  ;D

But you're right.  As I said before, I got told off for telling a guy that revealing a Trader would not gain 4 Silvers in addition to a Province.  A lot of people react poorly when you point out their mistakes.  Since then, I'm pretty wary of offering unsolicited advice even when it's obviously needed.

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2012, 03:29:06 pm »

What's the point of a ranking system if it doesn't reflect skill at the game? There are minor things like misclicks and 5/2 versus 4/3 splits that can uneven the odds in a way that has little connection to the game. We should try to minimize these effects.

How are 5/2 vs. 4/3 splits any less a part of the game than shuffling? In fact, that's exactly what it is: the first shuffle of your deck determines your opening hands. I expect people who insist on identical openings wouldn't also insist on some form of identical shuffling from that point on, but on what principle? Shouldn't turns 3 and 4 also be identical in order to better reflect skill? Of course not. I mean, in some sense you could make games better reflect skill by refusing to play with highly luck-dependent kingdom cards (familiar, treasure map), but you can't claim that by doing so you are somehow playing a truer form of the game. Quite the opposite.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 03:35:42 pm by tlloyd »

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 04:38:00 am »

Yeah, definitely not my intent to tell people how to play the game, I'd be the last person to do that!

And gaining my respect isn't really a special thing either, plus it can easily be bought with a lollipop.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2012, 01:03:09 pm »

I had someone do this to me yesterday - remind me of the rules that is - and apparently I'm one of the people who finds this somewhere between quite annoying and downright insulting.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.