Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 4 - One of a kind  (Read 4508 times)

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
4 - One of a kind
« on: April 28, 2012, 05:51:40 am »

Hi!

Let's face it: When we play with cards, we rarely think about what the cards feel! Have you ever asked your KC if he likes to have its only purpose in playing other KCs? Have you ever asked your Minions if they want to cooperate with eachother, or if maybe one of them wants to be your one and only? Isn't it enough to torture captives once? And what about the poor little fox who has to run away from not one but up to ten Hunting Parties?
That's cruel, and I want to change this.

After the first two turns, you are only allowed to play cards with the same name once a turn. Also, you are not allowed to have any cards more than once in your deck, the exceptions being Coppers and Estates (naturally since you start with them), and Colonies. That also means no Throne Rooms or King's Courts, and not even two Coppers are allowed to be played beginning with turn 3. Additionally, since every single card is a precious individual, you are not allowed to get rid of the last copy of a card once it is in your deck. Don't trash all your Coppers and Estates!

The goal of the challenge is to end the game by having 8 Colonies in your deck while having exactly one copy of each other card available in your deck at that point. This includes one Curse as well as one Province, but doesn't force you to empty the Black Market pile if you chose to play with Black Market.

These are many rules, but I hope they are clear and somewhat easy to remember since they thematically match the challenge (but the 8 Colonies in your deck, which is needed to avoid making things to easy by trashing a Colony into a Colony).

Entries as a gamelog and only one per person, deadline Saturday, May 5th, GMT+1 9:00 a.m.

Points (4,2,1) are awarded as usual for the fewest turns needed, and bonus points (2,1) for the highest valued Fairgrounds in your deck at the end of the game.

Please tell me if something is not clear; otherwise, have fun!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 12:15:20 pm by def »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: 4 - One of a kind
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 02:22:50 pm »

Additionally, since every single card is a precious individual, you are not allowed to get rid of the last copy of a card once it is in your deck. Don't trash all your Coppers and Estates!

Point of interest:  Are you allowed to trash a card on your turn, then buy a new copy at the end of your turn?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

def

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 02:55:16 pm »

Oh, you! You think the cards won't notice if you replace one of them with a COPY of itself? But they do. So, no.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 04:26:42 pm »

Can you NV or Island your cards?
Also, I guess Embargo, Feast and such are useless?

Hks

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: HyenHks
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 04:52:28 pm »

I guess so, but it wouldn't make very much difference anyway, since you can only get one Island or play the native village once per turn.

They become dead cards since they can't be trashed from your deck, so that makes sense.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 04:54:35 pm »

I guess so, but it wouldn't make very much difference anyway, since you can only get one Island or play the native village once per turn.

They become dead cards since they can't be trashed from your deck, so that makes sense.
No, would you like it if you were dumped off on an island, never to be seen again until the end?  ;)
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Avin

• Spy
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 09:02:45 pm »

If Tournament is present, do you have to get all 5 prizes?

def

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 07:47:45 am »

No, would you like it if you were dumped off on an island, never to be seen again until the end?  ;)

If it's a nice Island, why not? Who wouldn't like vacations on a caribbean island? You didn't trash them and they return to your deck at the end of the game, so it's ok. Still, since these cards return to your deck at the end, putting all coppers on the Native Village map won't do.

Prizes: I didn't specify that, but since I said no to all BM cards, I guess it makes sense if you don't need every Prize, either.

def

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 03:21:32 pm »

Just want to note that, while I got nice solutions already, there is (horn of) plenty of (council)room to get one of the first places. Don't feel discouraged by the constraints I set; the point of this challenge definitely is the theme, which also means that there is no 10-turns-megaturn solution (yet?), and submissions with way more turns than my three other challenges needed are likely to be good enough.
Also, the bonus points may still be available...

Until Saturday.

def

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 02:55:09 pm »

Sorry for the short delay.

This one proved to be not so easy, since you needed to get a good start without multiple Coppers, couldn't set up for a megaturn and had to find a way to get to the the last Colony (and other cards) while other Colonies, Estate, Copper and so on clogg up your deck.
Let's see how this was done:

Third place goes to Schneau, who went for early trashing and still had buying power thanks to Contraband. He bought his first Colony turn 11, but got slowed down a bit later on.

Second place goes to Galzria, who opened Silver/Conspirator and got Chapel and Governor afterwards. He took more time to set up things, using Tournament and its Prizes, too, and went double Colony on turns 14 to 17.

First place goes to Hks in only 14 turns. He opened the dreaded (at least by me) Chapel/Governor and lost no time to Catch 'em All! Ehm. Wrong game.
That's a huge difference to all other solutions I got, so, well done.

Galzria, GendoIkari 6
Fate, jonts26, Schneau 5
Avin, Galzria, Rabid, WrathofGlod 4
ftl, Powerman 3
DG, qmech 2
mazwa, theory 1

On to the next one!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 02:58:35 pm by def »

Hks

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: HyenHks
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 06:32:11 pm »

I was very satisfied with this one. I think I won by picking the kingdom cards very carefully. I wanted all the cost reducers, Governor and Council Room, Crossroads to tackle the victory and for the one-time actions, bank and a contraband, and menagerie, obviously. I got a little lucky too at the end, that it didn't stall that much with all those Colonies.

Anyway, very fun and unique challenge, def!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 21 queries.