Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: how to make real cards  (Read 3512 times)

weezerblather

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
how to make real cards
« on: April 27, 2012, 04:50:35 pm »

I have searched around and read the creation guide, but haven't come up with the best conclusion on how exactly to make these fan cards into legit cards. I want real dominion backing, real image on front (no sticker or attachment, or card sleeve trickery), and I want to seamlessly play the game with these great fan cards without being able to tell it was fan made, aside from the fact that they are "clearly" fan cards. make sense?

I have found some amazing cards on these boards and I have the time and $ (I doubt it's too expensive) to make these, but I just don't know the best way. Seems to be differing opinions.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: how to make real cards
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 09:02:55 pm »

I don't think you can get the backs. I actually think that's copyrighted, so it's going to be tough.
The material will also be hard to get exactly right.

The quick solution is to make an imperfect proxy, but then use sleeves.

Big Tuna

• Swindler
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 11:28:58 pm »

Search online for someone who'd print you a euro-sized deck with your images on the front. Then use opaque card sleeves to hide the back.
Though I'm sure when RGG has finished releasing their expansions they will gladly allow everyone to use their copyrighted material however they wish.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 11:23:23 am »

Yup, as said any printing of the official backs will come under copywrite so shouldn't be attempted. Sleeves are the best options
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

weezerblather

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 04:58:07 pm »

Oh, I was under the impression as long as you didn't sell them there was no problem, yet its ok to use blanks and put stickers on them. Either way its frustrating that it's so difficult to put these fine ideas onto a realistic playing situation. thanks for the tips!

Big Tuna

• Swindler
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 03:13:51 pm »

Theoretically, the blank cards provided (due to the printing process) with your cards would substitute for any card that may get damaged. However, a designer and company so generous to allow for something like isotropic Dominion would surely never have a problem with you finding a way to transform those cards into whatever you'd like for strickly private use. But some manufacturer using the copyrighted material to create a few cards for one person's personal use is still breaking that copyright law. Is there, perhaps, some way to use a photo printer to print on those cards? That might be a path to research.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 05:14:55 pm »
+1

You can do what you like with the blanks, but you're never going to have enough to make all the fan cards you'd like to.  I'll third the sleeves suggestion.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 05:19:50 pm »

You can do what you like with the blanks, but you're never going to have enough to make all the fan cards you'd like to.  I'll third the sleeves suggestion.
Right. Even if you had all the expansions, you would only have enough blanks for about 5-6 kingdom cards, less for Victory cards. Is there a way to aquire blanks besides buying the expansions?
I fourth the sleeves idea.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 05:25:38 pm »

Right. Even if you had all the expansions, you would only have enough blanks for about 5-6 kingdom cards, less for Victory cards. Is there a way to aquire blanks besides buying the expansions?
I fourth the sleeves idea.

http://store.boardgamegeek.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=248&category_id=13

weezerblather

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 06:51:35 pm »

Theoretically, the blank cards provided (due to the printing process) with your cards would substitute for any card that may get damaged. However, a designer and company so generous to allow for something like isotropic Dominion would surely never have a problem with you finding a way to transform those cards into whatever you'd like for strickly private use. But some manufacturer using the copyrighted material to create a few cards for one person's personal use is still breaking that copyright law. Is there, perhaps, some way to use a photo printer to print on those cards? That might be a path to research.

Absolutely a path to look into. I don't think obtaining enough blank cards is a problem at all, and I am not interested in making an expansion so much as I love variety and have played all the 157 kingdom cards to death. Granted I will never truly play every combination, but I would still love to add about 10-15 new fan cards into the mix, and make them look as real as possible. I agree card sleeves is the easiest and arguably the best method as of now, but I still think there would be a way to make legitimate cards (ones that wouldn't stick out unless highly scrutinized)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.497 seconds with 21 queries.