Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Most bizarre ending conditions  (Read 9308 times)

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
Most bizarre ending conditions
« on: April 26, 2012, 04:34:45 am »
+1

The other topic made me think if we could collect gamelogs of the weirdest conditions by which a game ended. It's probably three piles mostly, but which three piles? Copper, Silver, Gold? Cards you normally only want one of? All piles at once?

I'll start with Banks, Platinums, and Golds are all gone.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:39:08 pm by def »

CoheedandCambria

• Baron
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
Re: Most bizarre ending conditions
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 07:13:38 am »

Hey, that's my game! :D

That is by far the most bizarre game ending I have ever played, once I found the combo around turn 13 I saw I would probably run out of treasure to trash eventually and wondered if it would beat a normal VP deck in time.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 09:11:26 am »

Thieves, Chancellors, and Transmutes.  :)
Mabye when all the prizes are gone? Or when the trash pile has over sixty cards in it?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

def

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 12:38:52 pm »

All prizes gone is not too rare, and that doesn't end a game.
Otherwise, I want logs, nothing theoretical! :)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 01:24:13 pm »
+1

Chapel, Explorer, Hunting Party

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111031-131538-38c9170d.html

(OK, hunting party's not that weird.)

Algebraist

• Scout
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 01:44:06 pm »

Bonus points for the winning player being the one with eight chapels.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 04:49:31 pm »

Were you buying all the chapels to counter Possession?

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 09:11:06 pm »

Were you buying all the chapels to counter Possession?

I was trying to end the game as my deck had become quite bad and I was significantly ahead. It is probably a mistake. The explorers I can explain less. They are a fantastic counter to possession - one of the best uses of the card -  but neither of us needed as many as it got.

CoheedandCambria

• Baron
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 03:00:11 pm »
+1

Just had a crazy game vs Lekkit with lots of cursing and trashing. Then we both dove into victory early with very poor economies and if either of us wasted a turn to buy a gold/silver then the lead would have been lost. Point tracker was off and I kept good track of the score the entire time but I think Lekkit might have been off a few points as he made a few mistakes later in the game.

Towards the end, there was 1 province left with him having pretty much no way to get it and I was always down by over 6. We kept trading duchies and estates and eventually I got his lead down to only 3.

Last turn I'm down by 3 points, there are 2 estates 2 duchies 7 fairgrounds and 1 province left (2 piles are already at 0). I have only 2 golds and 1 silver in my deck for money (he had even less money). 2 golds in my hand and I made an insane risk to draw my silver by ambassadoring my estate away in order to get 2 extra cards drawn from my watchtower. I end up drawing it and bought the last province for a 1 point win. I probably had to do this in order to win since the game's end was coming closer and closer and I had no way to get ahead other than this.

Thought maybe we should extend this thread to not only ending conditions but also tricks used to end a game. This is probably the biggest and closest win in all of my dominion games played and I think the only time I used ambassador this way.

Edit: Oh, here's the game http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/28/game-20120428-114158-70fd6e6f.html
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 03:12:53 pm by CoheedandCambria »

Papa Luigi

• Scout
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 11:34:10 am »
+1

I don't have a game log for this one, since it was played in person. I only have base and Prosperity, and it was a Colony game with four players.

The kingdom was Woodcutter, Loan, Talisman, Militia, Mountebank, Vault, Counting House, Rabble, Mine, Adventurer. In other words, no +actions, no trashing except from Loan, and Woodcutter was the sole +buy.

Because of the combination of Mountebank handing out Coppers and people buying Counting Houses, the game wound up ending on three piles - Counting Houses, Coppers, and Curses. I was the only one who didn't buy a Counting House, hoping that handing our Curses with Mountebank and otherwise basically running a big money strategy would help. It didn't.

Never seen the Copper pile depleted.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 10:00:37 am »

Mabye when all the prizes are gone? Or when the trash pile has over sixty cards in it?

Swindler madness (that somehow never hits other peoples' Estates or Coppers) could conceivably do this.  Add in Vineyards, and/or have Transmute be the only trashing option.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 12:30:43 pm »

Swindler madness (that somehow never hits other peoples' Estates or Coppers) could conceivably do this.  Add in Vineyards, and/or have Transmute be the only trashing option.
Transmute would also help with the curses that Swindler would potentialy be giving out, and the useless Chancellors. Wow... this actually could be a viable option if KC and Swindler were on the board.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 07:16:14 pm »

Here's a game where my opponent destroyed me, running out the copper using Goons to buy it and multiple Spice Merchants to get rid of it; the first time I'd ever seen good use of more than two Spice Merchants. Also gone: Tribute (surprising) and Caravan (less surprising)

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120310-181723-0763fca5.html

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 12:54:52 pm »

Maybe not super crazy, but here is a game where the three piles were: Jack, Tunnels and Upgrade.

(In a colony game with both players using Develop to get Grand Markets. Develops and Grand Markets were also running low, and all of the Jacks were in the trash)

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/03/game-20120503-095121-757ec2a4.html

Ed

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 05:45:39 pm »

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 11:44:44 pm »

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 09:42:02 am »

Did you intend to go for the three-pile there?  I'm a little confused, because it seems like SC is not actually such a great counter against Jester.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 09:51:59 am »

Did you intend to go for the three-pile there?  I'm a little confused, because it seems like SC is not actually such a great counter against Jester.
I had it in mind a bit. And I think it's a great counter - you get to pick what's in your hand, and you get to pick what they skim off your deck. Which makes the attack pretty ineffectual, and can actually skip over your bad cards for you.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 10:59:34 am »

I had it in mind a bit. And I think it's a great counter - you get to pick what's in your hand, and you get to pick what they skim off your deck. Which makes the attack pretty ineffectual, and can actually skip over your bad cards for you.

Yes, but you still have to make a choice between you getting another bad card, and them getting another good card. Of course, if Curses are gone you can just put a Victory or Curse on top, but otherwise your best bet is just to put a mediocre card like Spy or Pearl Diver on top.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 11:23:19 am »
+1

Or... you can put your Secret Chamber on top if your opponent isn't playing the same defense (or you aren't playing Jester). It will run them out quicker, and you want them and your opponent doesn't.

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 08:47:03 pm »

Another one.

Hamlets. OK.
Bridges. Fine. Makes the third pile likely a victory pile ended on a mega turn?

Nope.

Curses.

And

Develops.

First time I put Develop to good use in a long time!

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/04/game-20120504-173834-2351252a.html

(Neat game in that my plan at the begining was nowhere close to how the game ended up playing out. Original plan was: Use Familiars to slow down the game. Then pick up Alchemists to draw deck. Use Universities to pick up Bridges and give actions. Mega turn the provinces. Develop was there to turn useless Familiars into Alchemists and Golems. And Spice Merchant to kill the coppers to make way for the Bridges). Instead we both drew Potion on turn 5, so curses were slow in coming. Hamlets ran out early. I managed to kill the curses as they came up with my develop. Both of us kept drawing $2P and having to get University instead of Familiar - which drew down the piles. And the game turned into me converting my Bridges/Spice Merchants/Potions into Duchies and Develops and rushing piles...)

Ed

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2012, 09:41:08 pm »

Curses.
Pirate Ships.
Coppers.

And actually this is the second Curse/Copper run out of the day.
I've been playing 4-player. Mountebank makes this basically imminent, apparently.

def

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2012, 06:17:37 am »

Looking at some of your multiplayer games, it seems like the most bizarre ending conditions there are where actually Provinces or Colonies run out and the game doesn't end turn 13 with three piles run and a few Duchies being enough for a win.
Multiplayer is apparently a totally different game.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2012, 11:12:43 pm »

And actually this is the second Curse/Copper run out of the day.
I've been playing 4-player. Mountebank makes this basically imminent, apparently.

I would think so.  Four players means 30 Curses and 32 Coppers in the supply at the start of the game.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 09:23:30 pm »

Don't know if this one qualifies, but just finished a game where the finishers were:

Curses
Mining Villages
Duchies

No provinces were purchased during the game.

(Saboteurs, Sea Hags, and no +cards except Mining Villages and Cities made for an ugly game.)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 20 queries.