Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Where's the official app?  (Read 66519 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: Where's the official app?
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2012, 06:03:50 pm »

You had to drag the cards into the play area, which was hard to determine at first play.

Anything that adds unnecessary repetitive motion is ridiculous.  Hopefully that will get changed.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2012, 06:19:49 pm »
+1

Hotkeys for everything!!!

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2012, 06:27:13 pm »
+1

Ascension and Nightfall by playdek on iOS require dragging cards to the play area and they tend to be largely thought very highly of when it comes to UI. So I don't see dragging being a big deal especially since they are targeting multiple platforms here. I'm sure the Web/PC version will have a click interface.

The thing that has me the most scared about this app is how the pricing will be determined. Will I have to buy it for my iPhone and my PC? or will the app be free and have me pay for a user account? Will I have to IAP all the expansions again or do they come as a cost with the game?
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2012, 11:40:59 pm »

The thing that has me the most scared about this app is how the pricing will be determined. Will I have to buy it for my iPhone and my PC? or will the app be free and have me pay for a user account? Will I have to IAP all the expansions again or do they come as a cost with the game?

When talking about the official version, either Jay or Donald (can't remember) referred to it as a 'site', so I imagine it'll be a single account that you can access from multiple platforms. I hope this ends up being the case so that if they charge per expansion, you'd only have to buy each once. However, this implementation also opens up the possibility of charging a monthly or yearly fee for use of the site.

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2012, 02:09:06 am »
+1

dougz also definitely referred to a site in his reddit AMA
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2012, 02:59:45 am »
+2

Hey, so according to that there are multiple developers, and they have an office, and most importantly, they read these forums! That's cool.

'sup dudes! :)

Ferrouswheel

• Baron
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2012, 01:08:47 pm »
+1

"goodness of their hearts" wa reference to the recent complaining about Iso and DougZ.

Take a minute to review your post. Where did it make any reference to Iso and DougZ? You brought up exactly 2 entities - RGG and Donald X. - in the paragraph preceding the quoted statement; how was I supposed to infer that this was a reference to Iso and DougZ?

I think we've established a clear difference in a certain other thread between being critical and being malicious. The only thing preventing people from presenting their honest opinions is the censure that they receive for being ostensibly untactful. But seriously - something's quite not right here regarding the release of the official app, and it should be known, preferably in a nice, civilized manner.

Debatably the point is that Donald X. and DougZ are the same person. The hints have been there all along. After all, Dominion also begins with a 'D' as does developer. Developer describes the postion that DougZ and Donald X. both do. If we want to determine who develops Dominion then we need to look for a developer whose name begins with D.

Now that I've realized this, if the developer's name actually begins with D, I'm going to sell all of my dominion, buy a tin foil hat, and move to Tibet.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2012, 04:39:44 am »

Debatably the point is that Donald X. and DougZ are the same person. The hints have been there all along. After all, Dominion also begins with a 'D' as does developer. Developer describes the postion that DougZ and Donald X. both do. If we want to determine who develops Dominion then we need to look for a developer whose name begins with D.

Nah.  Pictures of both of them are online in various places.  And I don't think DonaldX likes chicken as much as DougZ does.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2012, 04:42:10 am »
+1

It's either a split personality, or one of them murdered the other and stole the other's identity.

I watch crime shows, I know those are the most likely options.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2012, 05:00:32 am »

No, they are both future incarnations of The Doctor, also starting with D.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2012, 05:05:41 am »
+1

Donald X is a Time Lord. I should add that to the appropriate TVTropes page.

The 9th Doctor

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2012, 02:56:03 pm »

[shifty eyes]

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2012, 03:03:00 pm »

[shifty eyes]
Really olneyce, you need two accounts here, too?

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2012, 03:26:37 pm »
+2

[shifty eyes]
Really olneyce, you need two accounts here, too?
Doctor Who references are comedy gold. 

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2012, 11:19:30 am »

I don't understand why you all have alternate accounts on Isotropic.  It doesn't bother me, I'm just curious as to their purpose.  Clean CouncilRoom profile?  Experimenting with crazy strategies and/or 3p-4p?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2012, 11:44:54 am »

If I wanted to experiment, I would do it with specific cards, or on an unregistered account - it won't be ranked.
I do have a separate account for 3-4 player, I've played 109 games on it. Well, they're very different games, and I also wanted to feel out how I thought the ranking system matched up - whether it was easier/harder to get high in 3/4 than in 2p

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2012, 12:00:04 pm »

I don't understand why you all have alternate accounts on Isotropic.  It doesn't bother me, I'm just curious as to their purpose.  Clean CouncilRoom profile?  Experimenting with crazy strategies and/or 3p-4p?

I play an alternate account exclusively now.  I switched because I was worried about my level too much on my main account and the game stopped being fun because of it.  I was less willing to try interesting things and just have fun with it.  Unfortunately, now I'm worried about my level too much on my alternate account, so that was only a temporary fix.

I also had a new name that I really wanted to use, but I didn't want to release my old name because it's associated with my posts here and my CouncilRoom history.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2012, 12:19:56 pm »

Well, they're very different games, and I also wanted to feel out how I thought the ranking system matched up - whether it was easier/harder to get high in 3/4 than in 2p

Care to elaborate on your observations/conclusions?
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2012, 12:33:01 pm »

Well, they're very different games, and I also wanted to feel out how I thought the ranking system matched up - whether it was easier/harder to get high in 3/4 than in 2p

It's easier to do well in multiplayer. I shot up to level 38 or 39 in like 2-3 days, and I don't know what the heck I'm doing. On the other hand, it's going to be hard to actually take the top, because it's really hard to get games against other highly-ranked multiplayer people. Actually, it's a little hard to get games at all.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2012, 12:41:24 pm »

You don't need games against highly ranked players to be highly ranked.  You just need to rarely lose.  This is why how win trading accounts can reach the top.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2012, 12:41:38 pm »

So do you think your rating in 3p/4p is properly reflective of your abilities in 3p/4p? (I've risked taking your "I dont know what the heck I'm doing" as sincere relative to 3p/4p.  We all know your skill in 2p.)
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2012, 01:01:48 pm »

It's easier to do well in multiplayer. I shot up to level 38 or 39 in like 2-3 days, and I don't know what the heck I'm doing. On the other hand, it's going to be hard to actually take the top, because it's really hard to get games against other highly-ranked multiplayer people. Actually, it's a little hard to get games at all.

I also wish that it was easier to get multiplayer games in.  I always keep automatch set to accept 3p as well as 2p, and I think there have been like 3 or 4 such games that actually got started that way in the past six months. 

I don't have any alternate accounts, and don't plan on having any.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2012, 02:15:25 pm »

I created an alternate account right about when I discovered dominionstrategy.com and realized just how little I knew about the game.  So in order to protect my level (which, hilariously, was probably about 27 at the time) I created another account to mess around with.  I really hated the Prosperity cards and was convinced I didn't know how to play them, so I used Prosperity bias.  In fact, after a couple hundred games I realized that I was perfectly fine with all the cards, but it was really helpful to have a 'low-pressure' way of realizing this.  After that, I just play around with the other account 5-10 games at a time, mostly because I think it's fun to watch where the real account and the fake one rank against each other.  My normal one is usually higher, but due almost entirely to the very high variance for the alternate.  The skill of the other account has been equivalent or higher pretty much since that one had 100 games or so.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2012, 05:27:38 pm »
+2

Jay just posted in BGG that they expect to release near Origins (so some time next month).

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/9102653

Has anyone heard of FunSockets? I'm guessing they're the developer?
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2012, 06:22:32 am »

FunSockets

It looks like they haven't done anything yet, but plan to be a general platform for browser-based games, probably with Dominion as a launch title.  That would explain the secrecy to a degree, and possibly the time delays if they have other things they want to release at the same time.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.