Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Recommended web hosting for forum.dominionstrategy.com  (Read 1750 times)

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
Recommended web hosting for forum.dominionstrategy.com
« on: April 24, 2012, 11:47:10 pm »

I am going to move in a couple of months, and part of this move will involve me lacking internet access for awhile.

Since forum.dominionstrategy.com is served from my home machine, this is bad for you guys.

So I'd like to get some reasonable web hosting for the forum and transfer the forum there so you don't have to suffer downtime (councilroom will go down, just cause I really like having total control of the machine serving it, unless someone wants to set up a temporary mirror).  I think all we need is a conventional PHP/mysql/email hosting setup, and we don't really use that much bandwidth, since the site performance is mostly fine and it's served off a cable modem.  I have a strong personal preference towards Linux, or at least Unix based hosting.  Anyone have any good and reasonable hosting providers?

cherdano

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended web hosting for forum.dominionstrategy.com
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 11:52:23 pm »

When I researched web hosting options, dreamhost seemed to get very good recommendations. I was quite happy with as well (though I didn't use it a lot).

dougz

• Isotropic Designer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
    • Online Dominion
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 12:52:35 am »

If you just want a (virtual) Linux machine to set up all your own stuff on, I've been very happy with linode.com for years.  It hosted dominion.isotropic.org for the first 8 months or so that it was public.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 01:17:05 am »

I've used phpwebhosting.com for many years and been quite happy with them.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 01:53:14 pm »

If it's a temporary thing, I've had good experiences with https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/.  They only charge for what you use, so it's good for temporary things where you don't want to prepay for 6 months.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.