Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Expert Advice for Novices: What did I do wrong??  (Read 33737 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: Expert Advice for Novices: What did I do wrong??
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2011, 06:59:48 pm »

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110706-182820-b627c1e5.html

I have attached some commentary for this game

@WanderingWinder, et. al:
Feel Free to download and add your own commentary

Here's my additions.
WW

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2011, 07:04:02 pm »

Also, I think it would probably be good in the future if people who wanted this kind of analysis posted the games themselves with their own analysis already in there, in a file like this. I think it's probably at least as important to see what you were thinking as compared to what you actually did.

KMueller

• Baron
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2011, 08:51:07 pm »

This post has good information in it, but I would make sure you have the consent of both players before you open up their game and discuss all their failings.

I personally would relish the opportunity to have top players critique my mistakes - but I have pretty thick skin and take constructive criticism well. If I did this sort of analysis on my wife's games (for example), she'd never play a game of dominion again. Some people just don't like criticism, especially in a public forum.

Just curious, does this mean that for any user to post a link to a game log, he/she should get the consent of their opponent, in your opinion? It is pretty common practice to say "Hey, I just played this crazy game with such and such cards, here is the {link} log {/link}..."

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2011, 05:57:22 am »

Do we really need to attach Word documents to forum posts? Just type your analysis in the post =/

ShuffleNCut

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2011, 06:33:34 am »

Do we really need to attach Word documents to forum posts? Just type your analysis in the post =/

Also, if you simply post a copy of the game log you can run through and do a Find And Replace for your opponent's screen name to change it to Villain or something like that.  That's how poker hand discussion generally goes down online; everyone is referred to by position rather than name for privacy.

Not that I'd care if someone wanted to post one of my game logs and point out the mistakes I made (that seems like it would only be beneficial to me) however I can understand where the desire comes from.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2011, 10:04:47 am »

I would think the same thing too, except then that leads to an extremely long post.
Post your own and see what I mean if you really want to.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2011, 10:26:23 am »

I know how long a game of Dominion can be. I'm just saying that if I'm going to read through one, I'm more likely to do it if I don't have to download it first.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2011, 01:02:45 pm »

I'd just guess that there are more people like me, who don't want to see a huge page on the forums with a full copied game log plus notes, than there are like you, who do. I could be wrong. If there were a way to put it in a collapsible box that came pre-collapsed (I guess this would actually be an expandable box) so that we could both be happy, I'd do that.
It's also easier for me to put the text in in different colours, etc. (to make it stand out) in word than it is in the forums.

Not a Cylon

• Steward
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2011, 01:24:54 pm »

I actually won this game, but only barely, and largely by luck (my Peddler got Swindled to a Province, and my opponent miscalculated and ended prematurely). There were a lot of moving parts (Swindlers, Witches, Watchtowers, Peddlers, Envoys), and it was interesting and tense, but I'm not really sure what to make of it in the big picture. I'd love to hear how an expert would summarize it, and it seems like the game could've gone very differently. For instance, did it have to be such a low-money game? It was a Colony game, after all, but we only ever got one Gold each, and no Platinum; he managed to grab one Colony, but that was it. I never really had a strategy going besides ooh-Swindler-and-Witch-are-nasty and maybe-he'll-Swindle-a-Peddler (it was still only lucky that that worked out, though). How would an expert have read this board?

(I do know I made one mistake, which was not Watchtowering the Pearl Diver to the top of my deck when I got it from a Swindler, since I would've been able to use it next turn. Also, since I was hoping to counter Swindler, I probably should've let him keep the Swindler I Swindled (yo dawg). But those are details, and I never got a grasp of the game's broad strokes.)

fp

• Thief
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2011, 03:54:19 pm »

I would think the same thing too, except then that leads to an extremely long post.
Post your own and see what I mean if you really want to.

The logs are really really long. I originally did it as a post, but it was too long.

Plus coloring and editing is easier in a .doc file.

fp

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2011, 04:18:38 pm »

This post has good information in it, but I would make sure you have the consent of both players before you open up their game and discuss all their failings.

I personally would relish the opportunity to have top players critique my mistakes - but I have pretty thick skin and take constructive criticism well. If I did this sort of analysis on my wife's games (for example), she'd never play a game of dominion again. Some people just don't like criticism, especially in a public forum.

Just curious, does this mean that for any user to post a link to a game log, he/she should get the consent of their opponent, in your opinion? It is pretty common practice to say "Hey, I just played this crazy game with such and such cards, here is the {link} log {/link}..."

I do not know what happened to the original post, but SuperDad raises some excellent points. So let me give you my input:

1. Ordinarily, I would seek the approval of both players, however, I do not know how to contact or even who the other player is. Many times, unless you talk and get to know your opponent (which I totally recommend doing), you have no idea who they are.

2. I strongly believe that players have entitled to the privilege to improve their game. Players should never be unnecessarily inhibited from becoming better players.

That being said, we must balance the privacy of one player with the rightful ambitions of another player wanting to improve.

3. I should point out that all the game logs are currently public anyways. While there is a distinction between publication and promotion, if a player is upset that his or her games are public, then the underlying issue also includes the initial publication also well as the subsequent promotion.

I have no intention of hurting players or discouraging players from playing Dominion; if you feel uncomfortable, you should let someone know!

These are the guidelines I intend to follow:

1. Where possible, we should seek the permission of both players. However, given the near impossibility of identifying and contacting an opponent after the fact, it is not unreasonable to proceed given points (2) and (3) below.

2. Commentary should only be directed toward players where express permission is granted. No commentary should be made about other players' turns or decisions.

3. The/An-other player can request that the commented game be taken down for any reason, and this request will be satisfied.

I hope people (including SuperDad and his wife) would find this a reasonable compromise between privacy and improvement. If you have any suggestions, let us know.

fp

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2011, 04:31:41 pm »

1. Turn 16 purchase Colony/Mining Village with 15 coin and 2 buys, "You are still stuck at one Platinum; I would have bought Platinum+Gold here. You engine allows you to buy multiple cards per turn."  Is this because I need more Platinum in my deck to fuel future Colony purchases?
2. Turn 21 Dutchy purchase with 7 coin.  "This is questionable. If you were to buy a Gold instead, that Gold would help you earn you at 4 points by buying a Colony instead of a Province." At turn 21, should I start realizing I am diluted by too many green cards and need to add Gold to increase my Treasure to Green Card ratio?

End game buys can be very tricky.

1. To buy a colony you need an average of $2.1 per card. Typically, I make sure I have 2-4 Platinums before I consider buying Colonies because you need that many Platinums in order to satisfy that average. Here, you only have 1 Platinum.

2. This is simply a risk versus reward scenario. IF you buy a Gold, that Gold can help you buy a Colony over a Province which is a net gain of 4 points. So you can buy a Duchy for a sure 3 points, or you can by a Gold for a potential (net gain) or 4 points. Even though it seems like a bad bet, it is bet I think is barely worth making.

I hope this answers your questions.

ackack

• Explorer
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2011, 05:57:42 pm »

2. Commentary should only be directed toward players where express permission is granted. No commentary should be made about other players' turns or decisions.

I don't think this is a good concession - often it's hard to make a good assessment of whether a plan was working or not unless you look at both decks. (If your awesome strategy prevailed primarily because your opponent totally ignored Chapel, it's probably worth considering how awesome your strategy really is.) I do think adopting a respectful tone is a good idea. As long as people criticize plays and not players, it doesn't seem to me like this should be a big deal. And I think people who would be bothered having their games posted should probably just not read those threads. That seems like a better solution to me than pulling down games that one party wants discussed.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2011, 06:22:31 pm »

I think it's complete hogwash for someone to forbid others from posting their losses.  There are separate rules governing civility and conduct: mocking a losing opponent is a separate issue entirely from reasoned analysis of games.  It's petty and immature to complain about it; it's not like the games aren't public already on your CouncilRoom page. 

Of course, I think it would be better for people to post their own losses, since if you post a game just to show "Look I beat this newb with Big Money" then there's zero value gained.  But if there's something to be learned from the game you should have no hesitation about posting it, and not be worried that someone's feelings will be hurt. 

ShuffleNCut

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2011, 01:45:56 am »

I would love to see people posting my losses and pointing out how bad I play.  It seems like this would do nothing buy help me recognize my mistakes thus making me a better player.  Thick skin seems like a necessity if you choose to brave the harsh landscape that is the Internet.

dihlenfeldt

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2011, 04:14:21 pm »

Here is a game, I played yesterday where I lost, At level 20 I wouldn't call myself a total novice, but I am always looking for ways to improve.
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110710-170046-8c3157b4.html

Here is some commentary from me:
When I asked my opponent what I did wrong, he basically said I shouldn't have bought the gold (T7 & T9) so early and should have gone for a torturer action chain instead. Now I know the torturer action chain is good, but I like to make my decks thin, so I decided to just go thinning with big money and a mountebank if I hit 5 early enough (I didn't). When I finally hit 5, turn 10 I was feeling self-conscious about my low buying power (since he already had a province), so I went for the vault. So did he just get lucky hitting that early 5, or did I make some crucial mistakes (like not getting a mountebank with my first 5+). Or it a torturer/village chain just too powerful to choose any strategy but it?

tko

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2011, 04:39:34 pm »

Here is a game, I played yesterday where I lost, At level 20 I wouldn't call myself a total novice, but I am always looking for ways to improve.
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110710-170046-8c3157b4.html

Here is some commentary from me:
When I asked my opponent what I did wrong, he basically said I shouldn't have bought the gold (T7 & T9) so early and should have gone for a torturer action chain instead. Now I know the torturer action chain is good, but I like to make my decks thin, so I decided to just go thinning with big money and a mountebank if I hit 5 early enough (I didn't). When I finally hit 5, turn 10 I was feeling self-conscious about my low buying power (since he already had a province), so I went for the vault. So did he just get lucky hitting that early 5, or did I make some crucial mistakes (like not getting a mountebank with my first 5+). Or it a torturer/village chain just too powerful to choose any strategy but it?

This is not expert advice, but...

Your opponent didn't get luckier than you to hit an early 5 - just different play decisions such as your opponent's turn 3 use of Steward's +2 coin to hit 5.  On either turns 4 and 6 you could have used Steward's +2 coin to hit 5 so you had similar opportunities... you just opted for trashing. 

When to use Steward's +2 coin is a tough decision as discussed in this post:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=35.0

In this game, your opponent used Steward's +2 coin to buy Torturers, and the Torturer chain went off.  You mentioned wanting to get a Mountebank.  Buying a Mountebank on your turn 4 might have slowed your opponent's ability to chain the Torturers.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2011, 05:03:09 pm »

You should absolutely NOT go for a torturer chain when Mountebank is on the board (get the mountebank instead).
I find it interesting that you say you didn't hit 5 until turn 10, but you also bought gold on turns 7 and 9! You had 5 each of those two times, and you should have gotten that mountebank over gold, at least before you had any mountebanks. Being able to play those mountebanks will gum up his torturer chain and reduce its power by depleting the curses. Usually you should get mountebank before gold, here you should do it even moreso.
Also, as tko points out, you could have used steward to get $5 on turn 4. Actually you could have done this in two ways, though. Since you'd already drawn everything else in your deck, you knew that those last two cards were silver and copper, which actually would have brought you to $6 if you played steward for cards. I probably would have played steward for cards there and grabbed the mountebank, just because I really want to get that puppy cooking fast.
You can always buy for less than you have, and a substantial portion of the time, that's the right play. Keep that in mind, particularly with the uber-powerful $5 attacks.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2011, 06:55:02 pm »

I can see quite a lot of different things going on in your kingdom there Dihlenfeldt. Some things that didn't happen include a ghost ship + torturer double attack, mountebanks, and conspirator chains. So let's not look at those too much and stick to your play.

There are two good attack cards in that deck, the torturer and mountebank. Neither really has any disadvantage in this deck since they give good benefits, +3 cards and +2 coin, so why not buy them? Your opponent was able to play the torturers to hurt you and at the same time draw up enough money to buy a province and use a steward to trash some coins too.

The next question is whether you were trying to build a draw deck or a money deck? When you build a draw deck you can concentrate on drawing as many cards as you can as long as those cards have enough money for a province. Your opponent had this right as he had one gold, one silver, and four copper left at the end, enough for a province! He only had to buy two treasure cards and the rest of his purchases were action cards to draw the deck. It seems to me that you were wanting to do some drawing, have some money, and have some trashing. It was all too much to do in a limited number of turns.

In terms of defending against the torturers you also had some options. The steward is a decent defence as you can take curses in hand and trash them. The vault might work as you can discard curses for coin but it isn't a strong drawing card. There was also a library, letting you discard cards then draw up to 7 again on your turn. There was also the mountebank, trying to empty the curse pile so that you can ignore the torturer attack. Expanding your opponent's deck also has great value since it makes it more likely that the torturer chain will break. I'd say in fact that the vault was a weak card here and you were probably better trying something else. More importantly, by filling your deck with treasure your deck lost any flexibility in defence and had to soak up the torture. If you intended to take curses and trash them with stewards you needed more stewards and more drawing to make sure you saw those stewards more often (but it still wouldn't have been enough).

Anyway put that all together and you get something like your opponent's play. You didn't need to ask the experts in this case as you had a chance to look at what your opponent did :) .

dihlenfeldt

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2011, 09:16:52 pm »

Thanks for the advice (although sometimes it conflicted....). So I've been big into early buying power recently, which is why I went for the Golds, and I missed my opponents trashing (due to careless play and it being in the middle of chains), if I had seen it I probably would've gone for double mountebank instead of the Golds. Also I didn't even think about library as a counter to torturer, but I see how it could be really powerful. I think I really discount that card. Also there may be a thread for this already, but at what point should you stop buying mountebanks? I felt like at turn 10 it was too late to make a differences (but I still see I should have bought at least one earlier, and bought a library instead of a vault). Also that could have been because by turn 10 I was in a pretty big hole.

Anyways, thanks again for all your advice, especially the steward usage and the torturer countering. :-)

If there's any other advice, feel free to share, I just figured I'd give someone else a turn.

Superdad

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2011, 02:47:48 pm »

Regarding Montebank:

I'll usually go with 2 as fast as I can. I'm not sure if there's any discussion on going to 3 or not. I suspect on some boards with no trashing it could be a good idea to get 3 montebanks to ensure he is hit harder than you (and also since he'll be less likely to discard a curse with no trashing, and you'll be less likely to collide with no trashing available). I'd say 2 monte's on trashing boards and 3 on non-trashing boards, but I could be wrong.

More specifically, when is it too late to buy one? The later the game goes Four things are going against the purchase of a new montebank. First, your deck is bigger so you'll draw it less frequently. Secondly, you'll draw it fewer times to use it because the game is ending soon. Thirdly, when you use it, the impact is smaller, since his deck is likely bigger now. Lastly, your deck doesn't want "Silver" anymore, you need a higher money-density card to access provinces more reliably.

Also, consider that the timing of turns 7, 8, 9, 10 will depend on the timing of when the shuffle happens. For example, turn 7 = turn 10 if the shuffle happens on turn 10. But turn 11 = turn 15 if then the next shuffle doesn't happen until 15. So a buy on turn 7 is the same as a buy on 10, and similarly, a buy on 11 is the same as a buy on 15 (in this case).

I would gut-feel that anytime after the shuffle that happens around turn 8-9 or so is too late for a montebank. If you can squeeze one in say on turn 8 before the shuffle, go for it. If your decision to buy it is just AFTER the shuffle on turn 8 on a non-trashing board (i.e. kinda big deck), then don't buy it. For example, buying it just after the shuffle on turn 8 and your deck is slightly bloated, this could mean that you won't even shuffle it until turn 12, then not even draw it until turn 15! So even while both cases discuss a turn 8 purchase, the timing of the shuffle has an enormous impact on your decision to buy it or not.

Again, this is completely game dependant, and likely depends on many things such as: Your deck's ability to cycle itself, overall trashing, Province/Colony game, Overall speed of the kingdom, his deck status in the midgame, current status of VP (i.e. earlygame, midgame, endgame) etc...

Regarding creating Villiage Engines in Province games:
Since it takes time to set up villiage chains (i.e. + actions/strong terminals), the only way you are going to catch up once you get your engine running is either:

a) your engine provides you with a VERY consistent turn 12-16 in which you can almost guarantee to buy a province in each, or
b) your engine will allow you to buy multiple cards per turn. I.e. such that you can overcome a 0-2 province lead by buying multiple in your last few turns.

I believe this is what you should be looking at when deciding to go villiage-type engine (or really, any action based engine) versus simply big money plus a few strong terminals.

For an example of case a) Minion + trashing engine (say such as Loan + Minion). It's a strong engine that once you get it going, it will likely buy a province 4-5 turns in a row. This type of engine can surmount the 0-2 (ish) province deficit by being more reliable on turns 12-16 (or so). I.e. big money may go 2-0 on you, but will stumble trying to get it's 4th province, whereas you'll just smooth-sail to 4 provinces easy. The key to a single-buy engine such as this is to accurately pick when to buy your first province. If you wait too long, you'll be stuck flirting with the PPR (Penultimate Province Rule), and maybe having to buy a duchy with $8.

For an example of case b) Grand Market/Vault. (City+X is a more obvious example of this type of engine, but I don't want to derail this thread as much, and GM/Vault is a similar feeling engine). This engine will take a little bit to set up, but once you get it going, it will buy 2 provinces on each of it's final turns (likely). you'll likely start 0-2 provinces to big money, but win something like 6-4. This first big turn should happen somewhere around turn 11, 12, 13 or so, and you'll likely follow that up with double-province buys in the subsequent turns (or at least province + duchy)

These are just a few examples of things you should look for in a province game to assess if you have time to set your engine up and come back from behind a lead that something like big money + terminal will gain on you.

For an example of what (probably) would NOT work... something like Villiage/Smithy/Bank on a board with no +buys. Sure you can draw a ton of cards, but what does it matter if you end up hitting 10-15 gold in a province game with no additional buys? On this board, the simple Smith + Big Money player will easily beat you.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 03:20:24 pm by Superdad »

mcshoo

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2011, 10:51:14 am »

Here's a loss that I had.  I tried to attach a .doc, but the filesize is too large! So basically a councilroom link: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110715-184639-167d2670.html.

I'd love to know what you guys think.  In particular:

1) Should I have opened double ambassador? Ambassador/Silver, Lookout?

2) What should be my general goal?  I went money, but it didn't seem to pan out well

3) Should I have bought goons?

4) Should I have stuck with going for colonies? Should I have raced for provinces instead?

5) Other suggestions?

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2011, 01:53:49 pm »

Obviously it depends on what your opponents are doing. In 3p game i would expect everyone to go in ambassador fight, so i migt as well risk opening with double ambassador for starting tempo.

In 2p game, I would probably open ambassador fishing village, then buy another ambassador and more fishing villages, vill then buy a couple of goons so i can play them pretty much every turn, then slowly empty city pile.
When a friend of mine sees a girl he finds attractive, he remarks how he'd like to "Throne Room" or "King's Court" her.
- Axe Knight

''Especially regarding such an iconic (and somewhat infamous) name that is known as ARTjoMS.'' - shark_bait is boosting my ego.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2011, 02:28:15 pm »

I'm only a midlevel isotropic player, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

You opened with two competing strategies. Both Island and Ambassador provide trashing, after a fashion, so it's not helpful to start with both. In fact, you usually want to Ambassador your Estates first, since those just take up space initially, while you'd prefer to Island your Estates rather than Coppers. Having both means you decrease the chance of being able to send 2 cards back with the Ambassador or drawing your Island with your Estates. Given that Ambassador games with decent players turn into an initial round of Estate and copper tennis, Island won't keep up. So, I would have opened Ambassador/Ambassador, then Silver, or maybe Ambassador/Silver, then Ambassador.

Goons + Fishing Village is definitely the dominant strategy here, so I would concentrate on building Fishing Villages and just enough Silver to start playing Goons. City is going to be essential for drawing cards, especially since it will almost certainly level up, but I wouldn't start buying cities until I get at least 1 Goons, maybe 2.

In this game, you should avoid Victory cards and try to get as many VP tokens as possible. The game should end when Fishing Villages, Cities, and Goons are gone. If absolutely necessary you could buy Island/Island or Island/Estate and immediately clear them out of your deck, but I wouldn't pursue that strategy unless I was falling behind.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2011, 09:20:57 am »

Here's a game where I went for too many terminals and wasn't able to get enough buying power. What I'm interested in is what I should have done during the first 10 or so turns when I hit $5--not enough for a Gold, but a Silver felt like a waste of that much money.

(Sorry for attaching as a PDF; it was the only way I could get the file size below the 128KB restriction. The last half of the game plays out about as you'd expect.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 20 queries.