Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Throne Room  (Read 28845 times)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Throne Room
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2012, 02:19:00 pm »

I just remembered winning a 2 player Throne Room game by building a draw engine with Throne Room + Moat and megaturning with Goons. Fun stuff.

It's certainly much weaker than KC, but it can still make mildly ridiculous things happen.

chinano

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2012, 10:42:43 am »

It really only breaks down when the card has a 'while in play' requirement.
Hey guys, you all look pretty confident about this (said in the article and many times in discussion), BUT:
it doesnīt matter how many times Haggler is in play, but how many time it was played - you played it through TR, so when you buy a card:
you check whether Haggler is in play ...it is ...and gain a card
you check for the second time whether Haggler is in play ...it is  ...and gain a second card

Jfrisch: and by the way, you wrote:
Works with:
Talisman (gain extra cheap actions)

SO, TR either wors with neither of it, or with both (which I believe and hope  ;))
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 10:44:01 am by chinano »

polonkus

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2012, 10:58:34 am »

It really only breaks down when the card has a 'while in play' requirement.
Hey guys, you all look pretty confident about this (said in the article and many times in discussion), BUT:
it doesnīt matter how many times Haggler is in play, but how many time it was played - you played it through TR, so when you buy a card:
you check whether Haggler is in play ...it is ...and gain a card
you check for the second time whether Haggler is in play ...it is  ...and gain a second card

Jfrisch: and by the way, you wrote:
Works with:
Talisman (gain extra cheap actions)

SO, TR either wors with neither of it, or with both (which I believe and hope  ;))

Sorry, you're thinking about it too logically.
This user is banned.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +275
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2012, 10:59:33 am »
+2

You play Haggler twice, but the physical card is only in play once.

chinano

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2012, 12:45:22 pm »

i think i get it... does it mean that when there is written "while THIS is in play," it means the EXACT card and not just any Haggler?
because if not, then when you would check if Haggler is in play, then take a card, then check again - and the one haggler is still there, so thatīs what i meant... nevermind, thank you...

RD

• Thief
  • Respect: +70
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2012, 05:34:26 pm »
+1

i think i get it... does it mean that when there is written "while THIS is in play," it means the EXACT card and not just any Haggler?
because if not, then when you would check if Haggler is in play, then take a card, then check again - and the one haggler is still there, so thatīs what i meant... nevermind, thank you...

I still don't think you're quite there. The thing is that the "while in play" part is completely separate from the Action ability. It's more akin to "when you gain this card" abilities or Reaction abilities or whatever.

Imagine that in Guilds, there was an Action card like this. "Choose a card from your hand and put that card into play. Do not "play" this card; don't even bother to read it at this point. Just physically take the card out of your hand and lay it on the table in front of you, along with the other cards that are 'in play,' and then go on with your turn." Okay, I might need to tighten up the wording :) But the point is that if you played this card on Haggler or Goons, you would still get to use their "while in play" abilities. As long as that Haggler is sitting in the play area, it changes the rules of the game, and that's all there is to it. You don't care how the Haggler got there: whether you played it once or twice (or in this case not at all) this turn, or whether there is a Throne Room tucked behind it as a handy reminder of times past. You only care whether it's there or not when its ability is triggered by buying a card.

Now of course that would be a pretty terrible card idea. It has very few interesting interactions and is also super-confusing. In actual Dominion the only way to have a card "in play" is that you played it at some point, and that's probably always going to be true. (OK, full disclosure: I always thought it would be neat if Havened cards were 'in play' instead of 'set aside'.) But the idea stands: there's a sharp distinction between "is this card in play [sitting in the play area]" and "did you play this card this turn," which also matters in edge cases like Conspirator and Horn of Plenty and so forth.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 03:50:37 pm by RD »

Dulkal

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2012, 06:16:47 am »

Yes, 'this' always refers to a specific instance of a card, not the card type. If a card refers to the card type, it refers to the card name.

So yes, you get one extra card for each haggler that is lying on the table in front of you.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.