Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Beat Big Money  (Read 2389 times)

manny calavera

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Beat Big Money
« on: July 05, 2011, 11:50:08 am »

hi to everyone i'm new. i write from italy and i play Dominion from one month ago with my friends.
last night a friend played only with Big Money and he won 3/3 games!
so i start posting on this forum with a simple question that is: big money is the best strategy ever?
how could players beat it?

i know that the basically strategies are often:
+actions --> +cards/+buy
or
+cards -->money

but unfortunally big money works always better...
thank you!

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
Re: Beat Big Money
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 12:06:30 pm »

So first BM is often beaten by small pertubations of BigMoney.
BM+1 Card Draw >> Big Money
BM+1 Attack >> Big Money.

So for your first $4, get say a Smithy or Milita, and otherwise play Big Money.
BigMoney+Milita or Smithy will win in ~66%, BigMoney+Witch in 85%, of the games.

But that's of course only marginally more fun. But for a first test, you should try it.

Second: Trashing might get important. Get all your Estates and Coppers to the Chapel and start from there with  only good cards is usually also better than big money. Also there are completely other strategies. Look for Workshop/Gardens on the blog.

Important is not to buy too many Terminal Action cards, AND not to forget that in the end you usually need some money.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 12:19:29 pm »

Start by using just a few actions cards and you should beat a pure money player. Just one smithy, or just one library, or just one militia should give you an advantage. Even just one woodcutter will be no worse than a pure money strategy.

Once you learn how action cards work in simple decks you can put more actions together and learn how that changes their success.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 03:06:23 pm »

Usually when players are losing to Big Money, they are either buying too many action cards, or buying action cards that don't really contribute to an overall strategy.

Next time you play, pay attention to two things. First: do you often have hands in which you have at least one action card that you couldn't play that turn because you didn't have extra actions? Second: after you finished playing your actions, were you able to buy something better than you would have if you had just skipped your action phase?

The first question will tell you if you are going for too many actions. There are many exceptions to this rule, but if you often find that you don't have enough actions to play your action cards, then you generally need either additional +action cards in your deck or fewer actions overall.

The second question is asking if those actions are working for you. This is much tougher to assess: there are some actions, like Militia, that don't improve your hand more than a silver would in their place, but they do hurt your opponent. There are lots of other situations where an action card will improve your hand, but having a different card for that same cost would have been even more useful. But by looking at how much better your hand becomes when you play certain actions, you can hopefully start to see which actions are contributing towards your strategy and which aren't giving you the most value.

manny calavera

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 03:56:30 pm »

The first question will tell you if you are going for too many actions. There are many exceptions to this rule, but if you often find that you don't have enough actions to play your action cards, then you generally need either additional +action cards in your deck or fewer actions overall.

The second question is asking if those actions are working for you. This is much tougher to assess: there are some actions, like Militia, that don't improve your hand more than a silver would in their place, but they do hurt your opponent. There are lots of other situations where an action card will improve your hand, but having a different card for that same cost would have been even more useful. But by looking at how much better your hand becomes when you play certain actions, you can hopefully start to see which actions are contributing towards your strategy and which aren't giving you the most value.

That is what happened at 99% of games that i have already played! (also because i'm playing this game only from a little bit time and i'm also looking for good combos that I try every match)
I anyway felt the absence of more money and the presence of too many action cards.
Thanks again to all!
(and also sorry for my bad english writing! I hope to learn something more from you!)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.