Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Suggestion: Combine challenge points?  (Read 1664 times)

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
Suggestion: Combine challenge points?
« on: April 21, 2012, 03:59:15 pm »

We seem to have many people running their own series of solo challenges here, which is great.

But at some point we might run into competition among challenges if more than one maintain a round of standings: do you participate in both and do ok in both, or try to maximize your time in one as to be in the top of the leaderboard of one?

If you guys combined the leaderboard in some way I feel that it would be a cool way to ring in a bunch of the F.DS community in a competitive atmosphere outside Isodom and the likes.

I don't know if any of you but Ozle are actually keeping a running tally (and I don't know if Ozle is continuing... he seems to be MIA) but it seemed like a cool idea to me.

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Combine challenge points?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 04:41:00 pm »

One problem I see is that it would make it hard for new players who want to participate and score points to do so after like 20 challenges and the leaders having 30 and more points.
If you say "screw the points, I want to have fun", that's cool, but then we don't need a leaderboard.
Plus, if it's more official, there shouldn't be arbitrarily distributed bonus points - I'm already wondering if it's fair for my third challenge to have a clear bonus point aim which the other two hadn't.

All in all, I think these challenges should aim for fun and creativity with a little leaderboard being a nice additional thing to have, but not more.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 04:43:37 pm by def »

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 07:04:00 pm »

Maybe let Ozle decide if a challenge is worthy of counting for his leaderboard?

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 05:23:15 pm »

Oi! im not missing in action, I post daily!

I just stepped back a bit from the solo challenges while other people had a go!

I don't think combinging my leaderboard with others would really work, looking at these other challenges, they are quite a bit different to mine.

Mine are a bit more guided, giving all 10 Cards. The idea being that people can look at them, work out a strategy, and then see how they compare to the others come results day. I also like to look at mine as a learning experience, at least for me anyways on how people play the same boards differently.

The others require a bit higher level of thinking, and different testing as you have to pick your own cards.

The leaderboard was just a bit of fun on mine, next set I plan on doing something a little different.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.