Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [COMPLETE] Geronimoo's challenges - Indiana Jones and ...  (Read 6151 times)

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
[COMPLETE] Geronimoo's challenges - Indiana Jones and ...
« on: April 21, 2012, 07:47:17 am »
+2

Short Round:“Indy, Indy, look what I found in trash!”.
Indiana: “What is it, Short Round?”
Short Round: “Some kind of map. Maybe is treasure map?”
Indiana: “We do not follow maps to buried treasure and X never, ever marks the spot."
Short Round: :(
Indiana: “Oh, what the hell, I’m bored, let me see”
Dr. Jones carefully examines the age old document. His eyes pop and he quickly scrambles to his study. Frantic minutes later he discovers the Bible of Donald X Vaccarino under a pile of Playboy mags. It appears the map is part of a collection of 10 maps that together lead to a vast amount of Gold. “This is the real thing, boy! Quick, pack your bags! We’re off to the Wharf!”. “Why boat Indy?” .  “We’re going to find a remote Native Village where I hope to uncover a Warehouse with a Secret Chamber and … there’s no time to loose, we need to go, NOW!”

Help Indy and his sidekick find the treasure! Challenge: open Treasure Map, then work to a mega turn where you trash all 10 Treasure Maps and gain 20 Golds. Shortest amount of turns wins. Huge bonus points if you can make your strategy thematic! Choose your own kingdom, but you need to open Treasure Map.

One entry (as a personal message) only per person, deadline Saturday 28/4, GMT+1 9:00 a.m.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 01:57:59 am by Geronimoo »

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile

Wow, dude, get out off my head! Another idea I considered for one of my later challenges; well, so much for that. :(

Avin

• Spy
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile

After making this submission, I don't think I'll ever open Treasure Map again (until the next zany challenge that requires it). So annoyed at having a treasure map show up in my hand when I had no plans to purchase my second map for a while.

Quadell

• Scout
  • Respect: +107
    • View Profile

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the quickest solutions to this.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile

Is it shortest turns to END a game WITH a mega-turn in it, or shortest turns TO the mega-turn?
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
+2

Is it shortest turns to END a game WITH a mega-turn in it, or shortest turns TO the mega-turn?
If you have collected the treasure (20 Golds on your deck) you have completed the challenge, so you don't have to end the game.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
+1

Check - Just ran a pretty good run that accomplished both anyway, so I'm happy with it; submitting now - Looking forward to seeing how much faster it can be done.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
+5

Results!!!

Schneau completes the challenge in a respectable 12 turns. Kudos for also finishing the game and using cards that aren't broken (like Caravan, Workshop...)

timchen does it in 11 turns. He uses Chapel to trim, Ironworks to gain Throne Rooms and all the Treasure Maps in the final turn and Scrying Pool to actually draw them. He claims this strategy would allow a turn 10 finish. Galzria uses a similar approach, but needs 13 turns

blueblimp also gets 11 turns , but uses a completely different approach. He gets Chapel and Quarry, then Governor, then the Bridge-KC combo to buy all the Treasure Maps and finally KC's the Governor to draw them all.

And the winner is... Avin!!! He finds the treasure in a wicked 10 turns. He uses the interaction between Ironworks and Highway to its full potential, first gaining Governors and more Highways and a little later even King's Courts. Then in the final mega-mega-mega turn he plays a few Highways and goes to town with King's Courted Ironworks which create an almost infinite combo where he gains Nobles, Ironworks and King's Courts and finally all the Treasure Maps and plenty drawing power to draw them all and get the treasure. Oh, he also ends the game on piles. Congrats!

Avin

• Spy
    • View Profile
+6

Thanks for the challenge, Geronimoo. And as I said in my submission, it was extremely convenient that you ran this the same week as def's "no buys" because as soon as I had completed my submission for that challenge, I realized I could use the same basic approach here.

Here we had to start with a treasure map opening which was really annoying for getting the opening right. Opening chapel/treasure map, I realized after a few attempts that in order to get what would probably be the best result I would need to buy a highway as soon as possible (because ironworks -> village -> bridge is too slow when we have to carry around a worthless treasure map) so even though the opening split of 5/2 or 4/3 wouldn't matter, I had to restart until I got 5 coppers on either turn 3 or turn 4, and could trash at least two estates and another card on the other turn. However like with def's challenge, once I got the correct opening, the rest was pretty smooth sailing.

My turn 10 in this challenge is remarkably similar to my turn 9 in def's naturally. I was actually foolish and the first time I got to a turn 10 with everything set up correctly I just blazed through it incorrectly assuming that my experience from the previous challenge would allow me to intuitively gain things in the right proportions to complete the challenge. I was wrong. I ran out of ironworks and I hadn't put in workshops into the kingdom so I ran out of gains. Whoops. I restarted, putting in workshops, and the next time I got the correct opening I realized I accidentally had bought an ironworks instead of a treasure map on my opening buy. I played it out, gaining a treasure map with the ironworks on the first available opportunity, and I got the 10 turn solution and I was half considering just submitting it. But I figured if I could get to that point twice I could do it again, so a few more restart attempts and I got it. And somehow after mapping out my gains for turn 10 I realized I wouldn't need the workshops at all, but if I got them I could gain a few bridges just for fun, so I did.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile

blueblimp also gets 11 turns , but uses a completely different approach. He gets Chapel and Quarry, then Governor, then the Bridge-KC combo to buy all the Treasure Maps and finally KC's the Governor to draw them all.

What's not so visible in the log is how fragile the 11th turn is. It was necessary to use all 3 Governors, both King's Courts, and even the one Pawn I bought on turn 8 to be able to draw all the Treasure Maps. (Even then, it was just exactly enough to draw the whole deck, I believe.) Also, I only had just the 5 actions needed to play the maps, and no more.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 04:55:47 pm by blueblimp »

norkbes

• Swindler
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPLETE] Geronimoo's challenges - Indiana Jones and ...
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 09:02:43 am »

Since isotropic is down, anyone interested can find the Avin (winner) game log at councilroom.com

Avin

• Spy
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPLETE] Geronimoo's challenges - Indiana Jones and ...
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 10:59:27 am »

Oh hey, I don't even remember doing this at all. That was fun and so much simpler than things are now post-Dark Ages.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.