Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New Web Show on Boardgames  (Read 3799 times)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
New Web Show on Boardgames
« on: April 20, 2012, 12:25:01 pm »

Anybody watched this yet?

My hatred for Wil Wheaton means I cannot watch it for more than 15 seconds, so cant say whether its any good or not

http://www.howtogeek.com/111639/tabletop-a-new-boardgame-centric-show-hosted-by-wil-wheaton/
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

lympi

• Salvager
  • You'll never catch me, Copper
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
Re: New Web Show on Boardgames
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 01:55:24 pm »
+1

I watched it. It's called "Tabletop" and the first episode is a four player game of Small World with Wil and some other folks. It's 30 minutes. I found it fairly entertaining.

Judging from this first episode, they seem to be modeling the show after televised poker. The rules are explained on screen to help people who are unfamiliar, there are interviews with the players throughout the show, and the whole game is edited down to a half hour, so you're only going to see the more dramatic parts.

The whole thing is very well-produced and polished. Far and away the highest-quality board game-related video content out there. (Sorry WanderingWinder.)

That said, I'm not sure who the intended audience is for this. It's a little too newb-ish for people like us (I'm not sure I want to watch non-gamers stumble through a game for the first time on camera on a regular basis), and probably a little too long and too nerdy for non-nerds who are curious about board gaming. It's a delicate balance.

Don't get me wrong, I hope it's hugely successful and it brings more people into the board gaming fold, but I'm not sure they've struck the right tone with this first episode.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 01:58:17 pm by lympi »
Then God said, Let there be a Village, and another Village, and another Village, and a Village, and I've got a silver and a copper. I'll buy a Village. -Ousgg on BGG

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 05:46:05 pm »
+1

Man, I can see why you'd hate Wil. I find him pretty annoying and this is the first time I've actually seen him.

It doesn't explain the game as well as it really could, so it'd be a bit hard to follow for a newbie, and it even makes a few rules mistakes on occasion (at around 6 minutes in is a good example), while it's a bit bland if you do already know the game... I don't know who it's aimed at, either.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 06:20:37 pm »

That said, I'm not sure who the intended audience is for this. It's a little too newb-ish for people like us (I'm not sure I want to watch non-gamers stumble through a game for the first time on camera on a regular basis), and probably a little too long and too nerdy for non-nerds who are curious about board gaming. It's a delicate balance.

Well, the intended audience is the same audience as The Guild and Legend of Neil, as well as the people who are generalized fans of... well, it's an odd cadre of TV-types, social-media stars, and indie musicians, scientists, and comedians.  Basically, fans of a group of semi-celebrities circumscribed by Jonathan Coulton, Wil Wheaton, Felicia Day, Phil Plait (the Bad Astronomer), Penny Arcade; there's a crossover with fans of gaming, SF and fantasy in general, and independently-produced content in general.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 07:32:32 pm »
+1

Wil Wheaton has left awful memories for many of us but I've been repeatedly told that he's an authentic geek now and is well informed on the important sci-fi, fantasy, and gaming issues of our times. Perhaps he is worth a listen.

paddyodoors

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 02:34:15 pm »

Wil Wheaton has left awful memories for many of us but I've been repeatedly told that he's an authentic geek now and is well informed on the important sci-fi, fantasy, and gaming issues of our times. Perhaps he is worth a listen.

Yeah, but it's not his supposed lack-of-knowledge or his history that drives me away... it's his presentation and style.  Something about it is quite off-putting... don't know if I can put my finger on it.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 02:55:13 pm »
+1

I too hope that this is successful, but I didn't really enjoy it.  It definitely wasn't hard core enough for me, and not funny enough to compensate for the low strategy content.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 03:47:24 pm »

Let them play Space Alert...

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 03:53:19 pm »

I liked the first show, but I think Wil tries a bit too hard.
The second one where they play Settlers of Catan I couldn't bear for more than 5 minutes.

I'm also a bit confused by the format. The show is a bit too simplistic for me and I think it's too complex for beginners.
So either make it more "geeky" or less.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.