Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Possession and Hinterlands interactions  (Read 2422 times)

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
Possession and Hinterlands interactions
« on: April 20, 2012, 03:24:24 am »

Mostly I can discern the outcomes via careful thought of the text.. but these simply seem ambiguous to me.

Possession text for reference: "The player to your left takes an extra turn after this one, in which you can see all cards he can and make all decisions for him. Any cards he would gain on that turn, you gain instead; any cards of his that are trashed are set aside and returned to his discard pile at end of turn."

Trader: Which side(s) can reveal trader upon the possessed player gaining a card?

Noble Brigand: Who is the attack played on? If the possessed player plays the on-buy attack, does the player who played the possession gain the cards back (which would be oddly hilarious).

Ill-Gotten-Gains: Who gains the curse? If the possessed player gains the curse, which I think is the case (on-gain wording matches possession, unlike NB's on-buy) does the cursed get sent to the player who played the possession?

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: Possession and Hinterlands interactions
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 04:10:01 am »
+1

Ooh, these are tough.

Mostly I can discern the outcomes via careful thought of the text.. but these simply seem ambiguous to me.

Possession text for reference: "The player to your left takes an extra turn after this one, in which you can see all cards he can and make all decisions for him. Any cards he would gain on that turn, you gain instead; any cards of his that are trashed are set aside and returned to his discard pile at end of turn."

Trader: Which side(s) can reveal trader upon the possessed player gaining a card?

This one is the tricky one... I think the answer is both. First, the Possessed player "would gain a card", and so they can reveal trader. The "would gain a card" wording is the same on Trader and Possession, I think; thus, the player whose turn it is (the Possessed player) can decide which order they happen in, and so can reveal trader. Obviously, the possessor can reveal their own trader after they gain the card instead of the Possessed player.

Noble Brigand: Who is the attack played on? If the possessed player plays the on-buy attack, does the player who played the possession gain the cards back (which would be oddly hilarious).

Yep, I think that is what happens. On-buy, there's an attack - it affects all other players (including the possessor). However, if the Possessed player would gain any cards with that attack, then those cards go to the possessor instead. So yep, the hilarious option is what happens.

Ill-Gotten-Gains: Who gains the curse? If the possessed player gains the curse, which I think is the case (on-gain wording matches possession, unlike NB's on-buy) does the cursed get sent to the player who played the possession?

Both the IGG itself and the curse go to the player who played the Possession. All cards gained goes to the player who played the Possession, including stuff they don't want like curses.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:36:35 pm by ftl »

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 05:10:03 am »
+4

Here is another thread in case it helps: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=839.msg12364#msg12364

Say Joe possesses Sam.

Possession and Sam's Trader trigger at the same time. It's Sam's turn so he'd get to order those, but Joe is possessing him so Joe gets to, Joe is making the decisions. If he puts Trader first he'll gain Silver instead of whatever. If he puts Possession first then now he's gaining the card and can reveal his own Trader; Sam's Trader will no longer work.

When Joe makes Sam buy Noble Brigand, Sam is the one who bought Noble Brigand, so the ability triggers for him, not Joe. Possession changes who gains but not who bought. If Noble Brigand trashes one of Joe's Silvers, Sam will gain it which means Joe will gain it instead.

When Joe makes Sam buy IGG, Joe gains the IGG, so Sam gains the Curse, which means Joe gains that Curse instead.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 10:50:15 am »

Both the IGG itself and the curse go to the player who played the Possession. Everything card gained goes to the player who played the Possession, including stuff they don't want like curses.

Fixed.  I think we've all experienced the "Hey I'll play Goons in this Possessed hand, oh, crap, wait, I don't get the tokens?"
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 02:38:16 pm »

Good point, I was sloppy with my words. I fixed it in my post.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.464 seconds with 20 queries.