Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: State of IsoDom: UPDATE - up to four subs needed.  (Read 14036 times)

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
State of IsoDom: UPDATE - up to four subs needed.
« on: April 20, 2012, 01:31:34 am »

OK, so, here's where we are:

(1)  MMM is MIA.  This is a major problem.
(2)  Several other players in my bracket and I think a couple in Mustard's bracket are also MIA.  This is a less major problem.
(3)  We're coming into Week 5.

Here are our current solutions:

(1)  I am taking over unless there are objections from the crowd.  I'll happily turn things back over to MMM is he reappears.
(2)  I need a helper to run what was Mustard's bracket.  zxcvbn has been entering data for me at Challonge but he's not actually part of the tournament; I'd like to get someone in my bracket to take that over, and to post threads.
(3)  We may need some alternates.  I know one was theorized somewhere in Mustard's bracket (to take over for dubdubdubdub IIRC) but never actually added that I know of; I don't even remember where that status change happened.  I also had one volunteer in my bracket (DSell) who will likely be placed in.  If you want to be an alternate, please let me know in this thread.  No guarantees.

Of note, I am going mostly off-radar as of tomorrow afternoon, as I have a looming deadline.  I'm going to go post skeletal results threads now, and I won't be seen much until Monday.

If you wish to volunteer to take over Mustard's bracket, please let me know; again, ideally this will be someone in my bracket.  If that doesn't happen, I already have someone else who has volunteered, but is in my group, so didn't want to mess with possible conflicts of interest.

That's all for now.

----

Alternates:

DSell
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:59:01 pm by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
Re: State of IsoDom: Alternates and helper requested
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 01:56:02 am »

My phone line is now fixed. (Well.. the internet connection part of the phone line. We now have no home phone)

I'd be happy to take over (temporarily or not) MMM's bracket if no particular skills associated with the website is needed (I can learn a template easily enough if that's all)

Also, what happens when alternates are introduced. Are they playing every round over again, or are their scores combined with the drop-outs records against previous opponents?

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 02:05:43 am »

Kirian, good of you to take over in Mustard's absence. His disappearance is really strange, and I hope nothing happened to him IRL.

I would concur that we need to find alternates for all the non-responsive people. It seems like the most fair thing to do would be to have them replay all the games for the person they are replacing. That will probably be annoying for some people, but I can't think of a better way to do it.

FYI, zxcvbn is a participant in the tournament, as far as I know--he is in my bracket (Eastern America) though we haven't played each other yet. My bracket has remained relatively problem free, I guess.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

ArjanB

• Spy
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 02:17:02 am »

loes u is ready to replace dubdubdubdub. We were waiting for an approval from MMM.
We just need to know if all games should be replayed, like O says.
If so, loes u will play the games with pleasure.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 04:44:16 am »

I think it might be getting too late for alternatives, people seem to be having trouble scheduling as it is.

Edit: Although I guess it's only one extra set for everyone who has/should have played the dropped player.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 04:47:47 am by Axxle »
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 05:01:32 am »

if it's only putting the figures into the challonge bracket, i could do it. I'm in MMM's bracket, though.

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 08:53:52 am »

I'm also willing to takeover or helpout as needed in this IsoDom (or future ones).  Please let me know if I can assist.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 10:22:04 am »

FYI, zxcvbn is a participant in the tournament, as far as I know--he is in my bracket (Eastern America) though we haven't played each other yet. My bracket has remained relatively problem free, I guess.

Oh!  That's cool then; obviously I've been paying attention only ot the people in my bracket and in my play group.  zxcvbn, if you're reading this let us know if you're willing to take over that half of the tourney.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

zxcvbn2

• Golem
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 12:40:07 pm »

Oh!  That's cool then; obviously I've been paying attention only ot the people in my bracket and in my play group.  zxcvbn, if you're reading this let us know if you're willing to take over that half of the tourney.

As long as no one else has any problems with it, I'd be glad to run it.
One Day Cup II Champion: qmech III: Rabid IV: Qvist

zxcvbn2

• Golem
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 12:59:44 pm »

Players that seem to be missing, from a quick look at the challonge brackets:
Greystripe77, Atlantic group
Dubdubdubdub, Eurasia group

Solutions: Either cancel every match that's supposed to be against those opponents, or find replacements and start from the beginning. I'm thinking the easiest way is to cancel all their matches and play it out, but if anyone wants to be a replacement and the majority seem to be okay with it, that's fine.

Missing matches:
Round 1: Wandering Winder vs. Voltaire,
Round 2: None
Round 3: None
Round 4: Wander Winder vs. Masticore (missing logs), blueblimp vs. angrybirds, me vs. Voltaire, AngBoy vs. JanErik, Mangsky vs. Geronimoo

Please point out if I'm missing anything. If anyone wants to be a replacement player, post here and me and Kirian can decide where to put you.

Edit: Thanks to andwilk for pointing out a completed match I missed.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 03:26:08 pm by zxcvbn2 »
One Day Cup II Champion: qmech III: Rabid IV: Qvist

angrybirds

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 02:32:12 pm »

Round 4:fit1one vs. DG, Wander Winder vs. Masticore (missing logs), blueblimp vs. angrybirds, me vs. Voltaire, AngBoy vs. JanErik, Mangsky vs. Geronimoo

blueblimp and I will be playing Tomorrow...

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 03:00:15 pm »

Also, DG and fit1one played their match already (DG won 6-1) and it was posted in the Week 4 Mustard thread.  Here it is:

Just had a fun series with fit1one, some flashy play. DG 6 - 1 fit1one.

DG 86 : 6 fit1one http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-125745-4e05ce47.html
DG 44 : 53 fit1one http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-130645-e685780f.html
DG 38 : 13 fit1one http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-131439-ae527fc1.html
DG 40 : 18 fit1one http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-132923-09b0e442.html
DG 39 : 19 fit1one http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-134236-0b73b45c.html
DG 39 : 18 fit1one http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-135149-68f86a86.html
DG 66 : 61 fit1one http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-141346-e35cb6cd.html

Game one : Possession + apprentice, need it to win, hate it when you lose
Game two : Possession with good cycling beats a dull treasure based deck
Game three : Apprentice with peddlars gets me out of a big hole here
Game four : Alchemy based horn of plenty decks
Game five :  Philosophers stones in messy mountebank and familiar game
Game six : Golem/highway/conspirator rush with universities and herbalists
Game seven : almost a big golem/bridge combo for fit1one but I get some lucky sabotage and stagger to a vineyards  finish

Fun series, Thanks for the games.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 03:15:40 pm »

Players that seem to be missing, from a quick look at the challonge brackets:
Greystripe77, Atlantic group
Dubdubdubdub, Eurasia group

Solutions: Either cancel every match that's supposed to be against those opponents, or find replacements and start from the beginning. I'm thinking the easiest way is to cancel all their matches and play it out, but if anyone wants to be a replacement and the majority seem to be okay with it, that's fine.

Missing matches:
Round 1: Wandering Winder vs. Voltaire,
Round 2: None
Round 3: None
Round 4:fit1one vs. DG, Wander Winder vs. Masticore (missing logs), blueblimp vs. angrybirds, me vs. Voltaire, AngBoy vs. JanErik, Mangsky vs. Geronimoo

Please point out if I'm missing anything. If anyone wants to be a replacement player, post here and me and Kirian can decide where to put you.

loes u is ready to replace dubdubdubdub. We were waiting for an approval from MMM.
We just need to know if all games should be replayed, like O says.
If so, loes u will play the games with pleasure.

Just to keep it up. He was happy to join in a week ago or so but we were all waiting for MMM to give his ok.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 04:45:12 pm »

Is now perhaps an appropriate time to debate the state of the next IsoDom and perhaps plan to run it either over a much shorter period of time or to come up with appropriate rules for dealing with people going missing in a longer form tournament that don't ruin the fairness of the tournament?

I know IsoDom has been MMM's baby, but I imagine there will still be interest in running more competitive tournament-format play regardless of whether it's an IsoDom tournament run by MMM or some other variant format run by Kirian or someone else who is willing to step up in the organizer's role.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 06:05:30 pm »

I'm definitely still interested in being an alternate if people decide that there will be alternates. Fwiw, I'm in central US, but I don't mind being put into whatever bracket and I'll do my best to have my schedule open to whenever my opponents can play.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 06:45:04 pm »
+2

Is now perhaps an appropriate time to debate the state of the next IsoDom and perhaps plan to run it either over a much shorter period of time or to come up with appropriate rules for dealing with people going missing in a longer form tournament that don't ruin the fairness of the tournament?

This is up to MMM but I would hope that people that drop this tourny would be excluded from participating from the next one unless a good reason is provided. Maybe that is cruel and mean... but so is leaving people scrambling after leaving halfway through. Again, whomever runs the next tourny can pick whomever they want to participate but should be wary of those that have dropped previously. 

That said I have been really grateful that all the participants in my group have been on top of their games. Mountain region rocks!

elahrairah13

• Spy
  • Respect: +73
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 11:32:51 am »

graystripe has missing matches but he is not fully missing, I've been in contact with him about playing.

I think the number one thing we have to do to get this done is be flexible about the weeks and just focus on knocking out matches, whether it's early or late.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 07:27:55 pm »

Graystripe has been around but not around at fixed times to complete a match. Maybe we can finish this week.

PerdHapley

• Thief
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 09:59:44 pm »

If it comes to it, I have a close friend (not yet a forum member I don't think, but a frequent, quality player who plays mostly IRL) who has a pretty flexible schedule and would be thrilled to play. I consider him very reliable and know that he could find time to make up the matches played so far if need be. He's on Pacific time, but his schedule is free enough that the timezone shouldn't be a problem no matter what spot he was needed in. Kirian, feel free to send me a message if that would be helpful.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 10:10:14 pm by PerdHapley »

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 02:13:31 am »

OK, DSell, if you're interested, I'm putting you in the place of ^_^_^_^, who seems to be well and truly missing.

I've heard from Nicki Menagerie AKA Duck Sauce here on the forums, there seem to be minor scheduling problems there, so that's not a scratch.  I've giving MMM the benefit of the doubt... for a couple more days only though.  If he doesn't reappear, Perd, it'd be great to have your friend in.

I'll send PMs to the people who have been missing for two weeks now.

antony

• Thief
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 11:51:08 am »

Seems like Tmoiy disappeared as well...

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 01:03:29 pm »

Yeah, I've been unable to get a hold of him for the past 2 weeks...
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2012, 04:57:48 pm »

Yeah, I've been unable to get a hold of him for the past 2 weeks...

X3

Only Ednever and Insomniac played their rounds against him.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2012, 09:58:17 pm »

OK.

I now have four (!) scratches to either fill or not fill, depending on how people feel about playing vs. substitute opponents.

In the Eastern bracket, no one who has stayed in the whole time would have to replay any matches.  I'd prefer to fill that one first.

In the Pacific bracket, ednever and Insomniac-X would need to replay one match each.  Ed, Insomniac, let me know how you feel about getting a substitute; if you object we'll skip getting a sub.

In the Central bracket... ugh.  Replacing two people means four players would have to replay one earlier match each:  ebEliminator, CarpeDeezNuts, BJ Penn, and ninjabus.  Let me know how you feel about it; if any of you object to replaying a match, I won't try to fill the slots.

Zxcvbn, do you need substitutes in your bracket?

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
Re: State of IsoDom: UPDATE - up to four subs needed.
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2012, 10:17:28 pm »

I'm fine to play someone else for a round (too bad, my match against t was my best set)

Ed
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 20 queries.