Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: duration  (Read 2081 times)

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
duration
« on: April 19, 2012, 02:42:33 pm »

This is probably hard to answer as there is no card that exists of this nature right now, but if there were a duration price reduction card (suspension bridge: This turn and next, +1 coin, +1 buy, all costs reduced by 1, no card may cost less than 0), would your opponent recieve the cost reduction benefit?
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
Re: duration
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 02:48:59 pm »

Yes. Cutpurse was originally a duration which increased the price of cards before it evolved to what it is now. The problem is the wording gets tricky and the mechanics don't quite work the same as other durations, so it was scrapped.

From the secret histories

Cutpurse: This started out as "Cards cost $1 less this turn, then $1 more until your next turn." That doesn't have the same timing as the other duration cards - it goes away at the end of the previous player's turn, rather than at the end of your turn. The developers didn't like that. I replaced it with "+$2, name a treasure card, each other player discards it." That was quite strong. You don't have to discard Gold very many times before you're sick of it. I reined it in by having it only hit Copper. It's still quite annoying if multiples get played against you early on.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 02:54:14 pm »

Thanks. I can see the problem they had with that, but I'M surprised they haven't revisited the concept in a simpler form.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 03:23:47 pm »
+2

This is probably hard to answer as there is no card that exists of this nature right now, but if there were a duration price reduction card (suspension bridge: This turn and next, +1 coin, +1 buy, all costs reduced by 1, no card may cost less than 0), would your opponent recieve the cost reduction benefit?
You could phrase it so that it worked for them or so that it didn't. I playtested a card that lowered costs until your next turn in a later set, before it turned out that I couldn't do duration cards here and there in post-Seaside expansions, because they just eat so much rulebook space up.

Most effects, certainly Bridge, could be done as duration cards. Seaside only had so much room for duration cards, and then I've done new mechanics in other sets rather than revisiting them. If I end up having to make more expansions after Guilds then I will look at revisiting duration cards.

I could have made the original Cutpurse work by giving it an ability that happened on your next turn, which is the trick I used to keep Lighthouse. Lighthouse's protection stops at the end of the turn prior to yours, but Lighthouse stays out, because it still has another +$1 to give you. When I thought of that trick for Lighthouse, I didn't think of adding the old Cutpurse back in.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 04:10:41 am »

You could phrase it so that it worked for them or so that it didn't. I playtested a card that lowered costs until your next turn in a later set, before it turned out that I couldn't do duration cards here and there in post-Seaside expansions, because they just eat so much rulebook space up.

Most effects, certainly Bridge, could be done as duration cards. Seaside only had so much room for duration cards, and then I've done new mechanics in other sets rather than revisiting them. If I end up having to make more expansions after Guilds then I will look at revisiting duration cards.

I could have made the original Cutpurse work by giving it an ability that happened on your next turn, which is the trick I used to keep Lighthouse. Lighthouse's protection stops at the end of the turn prior to yours, but Lighthouse stays out, because it still has another +$1 to give you. When I thought of that trick for Lighthouse, I didn't think of adding the old Cutpurse back in.

Lighthouse's protection works "While this is in play", so it does, in fact, carry on until the end of your turn. It just so happens that an opponent cannot play an Attack card during the time between "the end of the turn prior to yours" and the end of your own turn. This isn't really relevant to the Cutpurse discussion though as the proposed Cutpurse does not have the "While this is in play" wording, and if it did it would be pointless because you would be attacking yourself as much as everybody else.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 05:03:32 am »
+1

Lighthouse's protection works "While this is in play", so it does, in fact, carry on until the end of your turn. It just so happens that an opponent cannot play an Attack card during the time between "the end of the turn prior to yours" and the end of your own turn. This isn't really relevant to the Cutpurse discussion though as the proposed Cutpurse does not have the "While this is in play" wording, and if it did it would be pointless because you would be attacking yourself as much as everybody else.
Yes; the original version of Lighthouse's text blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah, as you might have guessed; to keep it in the set it had to do something on your next turn, which would then keep it on the table the right amount of time, given the duration rules; and you may note that with the printed wording but without +$1 next turn it would go away at the end of the turn you played it, and no-one wants that, even though it's simpler timing-wise, it's got that going for it. Blah blah blah old Cutpurse. I hope that's clearer.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 20 queries.