Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Potion/Silver or Potion/Lookout with Familiar on the board?  (Read 1136 times)

cherdano

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
Potion/Silver or Potion/Lookout with Familiar on the board?
« on: April 18, 2012, 11:27:07 am »

I am mostly interested in the opening buy decision for this game:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/18/game-20120418-080819-c8e49dcf.html

Cards of Note:
Nobles, IGG, Merchant Ship, Golem, Horse Trader, Familiar, Lookout, Oracle.

Would you open Potion/Lookout (as my opponent did) or Potion/Silver (as I did)? Obviously, Potion/Lookout greatly increases the risk of missing the crucial familiar buy in turn 3/4, but if it works out, you are ahead in terms of trashing and building towards a golem/nobles/merchant ship/Horse Trader engine.

It worked out for my opponent at turn 3/4, and it seemed hard to catch up afterwards. Or did I miss opportunities afterwards?

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
Re: Potion/Silver or Potion/Lookout with Familiar on the board?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 01:58:17 pm »

The log 404ed for me but I would choose potion/oracle as player one. You're almost as likely to hit Familiar as potion-silver, and you have an ok chance of denying your opponent one.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Potion/Silver or Potion/Lookout with Familiar on the board?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 09:26:17 pm »

in general, strongly agreed with potion/oracle open in familiar game. you can get a lookout on the second shuffle, the hand that doesn't have the potion.

however, i think i would ignore familiar here for igg. the potion is just an expensive curse, so you're still reasonably happy if the curses split 6-4 against you. i'd open silver oracle, then play essentially big money igg, possibly throwing in another oracle.

or open silver/horse traders, since horse traders loves buying things that cost 5.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 09:29:25 pm by ehunt »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.