Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Slowrolling  (Read 1980 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Slowrolling
« on: April 17, 2012, 01:09:57 pm »

What are your views on slowrolling? To which degree can you handle it and what's the tipping point?

I'm not talking about someone playing his 2 Golds and his 2 Coppers and waiting the maximum time before buying the last Province before he times out.

I'm talking about games with point counters since it's the easiest in those.
The score is tied, you have enough for a Province already, do you still choose to play a Goons and annoy your opponent even more?

I used to automatically play everything when it was my last turn during my early days, but I've come back from that.
I figured I shouldn't waste my or my opponent's time since the ranking doesn't care about point differences anyway.

So I find myself stopping halfway during my turn when I've acquired the needed means to end and win the game.
I think it's just more courteous this way. Your opponent also sees what you are playing and is just waiting for the axe to fall. So why wait?

On the other hand, you may have set up an elaborate engine of which you are very proud and you won't let an opportunity go by to play another screenfilling turn.

Which side do you stand on?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

barsooma

Re: Slowrolling
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 01:33:37 pm »

I can see it going either way... if you don't bother playing out your turn to max +VP, it could come off as overconfident and rubbing it in their face how badly they've been beaten.
And I can't get too mad at someone playing out a last turn.. if you're beaten anyway, you can always just close out the tab if you can't wait for it to finish - but while I might normally see that as rude, I wouldn't blame the opponent much in that situation.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 02:07:50 pm »

In my opinion, as long as you're talking about everything you do within 1 turn; and you aren't purposefully taking that turn's actions slowly; it's fine. Taking extra turns to end the game would be a different story.

I can see an argument for saying it's rude; but I guess that's just personal preference. I mean, if I just played 9 Bridges; I'm going to buy all 8 Provinces and some Duchies, rather than just clicking "end turn" after the Provinces. The thing is, no 1 turn takes all that long, if you aren't purposefully playing slow. It might feel like a long time while you are waiting for it to finish, but we're talking what, 1 or 2 minutes at most?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Papa Luigi

• Scout
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 05:43:06 pm »

I'm bad at judging when I'm doing well so there have definitely been situations where I "rubbed it in" and could have ended the game earlier and still won. For instance, there have been a few times where I wound up taking 6 Provinces to my opponent's 2, but along the way I was also buying Duchies to make sure I had the lead even though I could have 3-piled the game by buying certain action cards instead.

I should start playing with point counters more often, that sort of thing wouldn't happen.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 05:53:14 pm »

That's not slowrolling; that's taking your final turn.  Assuming you're playing no slower than normal, you have as much right to play that turn out as your opponent does to resign the previous turn (or click exit while you're playing).
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 06:19:32 pm »

That's not slowrolling; that's taking your final turn.  Assuming you're playing no slower than normal, you have as much right to play that turn out as your opponent does to resign the previous turn (or click exit while you're playing).

I thought that was the point of this topic. It's not necessarily about taking extra turns, but also dragging out the final turn. If you've got Gold, Gold, Silver, Province, Militia and one Province left, do you play the Militia? It drags it out a bit longer and requires more input from your opponent, but the end is the same; you buy the Province and win the game.

TBH, I usually play the Militia. Whether I realise it's the last turn or not, I've instinctively clicked it before the $8 button so it's too late anyway.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 06:33:08 pm »

It seems like it's not a big deal either way. I try to end my final turn early, if I know I can finish it off with a win - unless I'm doing something really cool that I've been setting up all game for, in which case I'll probably play it out. And sometimes I just don't know for sure whether I need those extra few points to win.

I'd try to remember not to play the Militia, but sometimes I'd just play it out anyway because of habit.

mDuo13

• Baron
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 07:37:40 pm »

Since I normally play without the point counter, I try to gain as many VP as possible before ending it -- just in case I miscounted along the way. And if I'm having a KC/Bridge/Goons megaturn, then yes I'm going to buy everything I can, in excess of what's necessary to beat my opponent, because I can be proud of it (and I'll get achievements on Councilroom, haha).

As for taking extra turns, if I see an opportunity to end the game and win, I do. If I'm not confident (like 60% sure) that I'll win by ending the game immediately, I might prolong it in the hopes of setting up a more certain win, depending on whether my opponent's deck has a better chance of coming back and beating me.

Especially when I'm playing normal games on Iso, I try to play as quickly as I reasonably can, only pausing to count VP or cards in deck when it's critical. If it's a tournament or something, then obviously I'm going to take longer and expect my opponent to do the same.

I basically only get annoyed when people hold out to the point of timing out. Actually, if it gets to the point where I can make them resign, I just figure they disconnected and click it right away, unless they gave me some warning in advance.

I think that's pretty fair overall.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.