Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Who is your nemesis?  (Read 18223 times)

WrathOfGlod

• Navigator
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
Re: Who is your nemesis?
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 02:06:35 pm »

My nemesis has to be ehunt- Haven't run into him in a while but he just destroys me (3-13) and all the games I play against him just feel like I'm discovering that I know nothing about this game.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 04:45:39 pm »

I am my own worst enemy.

I think it's part of what separates the great from the really good to the good.

I've been doing really well recently, and I think that a large part of that is my recent (better) understanding of board flow. I used to see a board, and either choose to play cards I like (ie. Ambassador // Masquerade), or go with a set of cards that I know work together. I never really spared a thought for... "How fast is this board going to play, and what do I need to do in order to be competitive"? There are often many strategies on almost every board, and rarely is there an absolute "correct" one. Instead of playing things I know WILL work, I've recently been looking for what WILL be competitive (and ideally leave me with an edge).

Aiming for Tournament domination is great and all... but if IW, Great Hall and Silk Road are on the board as well...

So I don't feel that there is any OTHER person that truly vexes me more than myself.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 04:53:19 pm »

I probably have two nemeses: WHARF 2 THA BRIDGE, played 4 games against him and have gotten completely trounced each game.  He has been gone for a while though.  My other nemesis is DG, although I don't think I've played him since the good ol' BGGDL days: 7-23-0
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 04:56:13 pm »

Stef, who had like 400 games and was outplaying me left and right. I was sure he was going to reach the n°1 spot in no time, but he's disappeared. Loads of talent there.

And apparently WW because I'm 2-7 against him.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 05:13:57 pm »

Stef, who had like 400 games and was outplaying me left and right. I was sure he was going to reach the n°1 spot in no time, but he's disappeared. Loads of talent there.

You must have missed a day, he got it back in February.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 05:22:44 pm »

I could give several different answers depending on how you define "nemesis". 

I've played more games against WanderingWinder than anyone else- a staggering 201- and it would make sense for there to be some rivalry: we're right next to each other on the leaderboard, he has the ever-so-slight edge in head-to-head, and we have strongly contrasting styles.  (Although I'm far from the most engine-y player out there, it's pretty common for me to choose the more BM-esque route in games against players like Obi Wan Bonogi.)  But WW doesn't really feel like a nemesis at all, for whatever reason.

Looking at actual records, Fabian is the player I seem to do worst against- 37-55-3 lifetime, whereas I'm no more than a few games behind any other player.

I think I'm gonna have to go with Latvia/midnight_girl/ARTjoMS as my final answer, even though when you add up all of ART's aliases I'm slightly over .500.  For whatever reason, those games always seem tense and hard-fought, and I know I can't slip up and play loose/sloppy like I all too often do. 
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 05:58:55 pm »

My record against you used to be even better chwhite, you've had the best of me the last few times we've played. I think I used to be at 64% or something, now I'm just below 60. It's still certainly the opponent record which I'm most proud of, considering sample size (I've played you the most of all non-IRL friend people), win%, and opponent strength :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 06:04:07 pm by Fabian »

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2012, 06:28:06 pm »

It's a bit scary having Kimbo Slice as a nemesis, I must say.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 08:21:13 pm »

I guess you could call all top-level players who have often defeated me nemeses, but that isn't really fair. I haven't logged enough games against enough of them for it to count. However, having been ruthlessly destroyed and severely outplayed by Fabian in the DS Championships, I could call him a nemesis, but it was such a graceful annihilation, that it was more respect.
No, my nemeses are those near my level or who once were that I can never seem to get past. I am in the mid-30's now and without numbers to back me up, I believe PSUMVP is the opponent closest in rank who defeats me the most. Perdhapley is higher, but always bests me as well.

I would say WW is to some extent only because I remember the days when we were of equal level. That's right folks, way back when he was in his low-mid 30's, we had a few weeks where we would often play each other. Seeing him become a top player and myself remaining in the those low-mid 30's has always been a bit saddening. Maybe not a nemesis, but a representation of what could have been...

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2012, 08:29:58 pm »

It's a bit scary having Kimbo Slice as a nemesis, I must say.
Probably just as funny as watching Kimbo Slice play dominion. 

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2012, 02:41:43 am »

Of all players I've played at least 15 games against, my worst record is against Michael Harris. But although I'm slightly ahead at the moment, I've always considered chwhite my nemesis, or maybe rival is a better term.

And just to brag a bit, I think I have to be considered Obi Wan's nemesis. I'm 19-7 against him.

Tis true

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2012, 02:47:20 am »
+1

Eli_k seems to be my nemesis, he's won twice as much games as I have (5-11-0) although the sample size isn't that big.

My favorite opponent must be Lekkit, I'm 9-7-1 against him and always feel we are somewhat equally skilled which make for the most interesting games. I'm always trying to push small advantages against him and our games always seem to be nailbiters.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2012, 04:00:34 am »
+1

I'll have to second Obi Wan. I'm 9-16 (36%) against him lifetime, by far the worst record against anyone where I have a meaningful sample. Somehow I lose in situations which seem impossible to lose from against him, which is why it's so annoying to play him :)

After playing him some more this morning, I've figured out one reason why he crushes me like a child - we mostly play Colony games! I had no idea you could bias towards Colony games in the auto-match pool and still have it count as a rated game, which is pretty disappointing to me. Well, the fact that it still appears as "default card selection" on my screen is kinda silly imo. Now I wish there was some way of auto-declining bias opponents (like with veto mode or point counter), since I prefer playing a random distribution of Colony vs non-Colony games.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2012, 04:03:27 am »

As far as I know, it's not possible to bias towards Colony games. You can bias towards Prosperity games, but you'll still play a lot of non-Colony games.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2012, 04:11:25 am »
+1

I think we're saying the same thing then? Bias towards Prosperity -> more Colony games than what random kingdoms would mean -> bias towards Colony games.

paddyodoors

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2012, 11:33:00 am »

... Well, the fact that it still appears as "default card selection" on my screen is kinda silly imo. Now I wish there was some way of auto-declining bias opponents (like with veto mode or point counter), since I prefer playing a random distribution of Colony vs non-Colony games.

Trying biasing EVERY option, that's what I do.  It feels like I get a better distribution.  Utterly subjective, though -- I admit.  I only click automatch once all those set boxes are checked, call me crazy if you will.

permanoob

• Salvager
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2012, 12:23:55 pm »

Turambar. No explanation because he forgot what he did to me and I don't want to even do him the favor of reminding him the way he crushed my dreams against the ridge of oblivion and shot my parents in a back alley forcing me to become batman.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2012, 12:56:42 pm »
+2

... Well, the fact that it still appears as "default card selection" on my screen is kinda silly imo. Now I wish there was some way of auto-declining bias opponents (like with veto mode or point counter), since I prefer playing a random distribution of Colony vs non-Colony games.

Trying biasing EVERY option, that's what I do.  It feels like I get a better distribution.  Utterly subjective, though -- I admit.  I only click automatch once all those set boxes are checked, call me crazy if you will.

I think this helps, IIRC Doug's biasing algorithm.  I think clicking a particular box gives the cards from that expansion 4x the weight.  So if your opponent clicks something and you don't, his biased contribution to the weight is 6 * 1 + 4 * 1 = 10, and your uniform supporting weight is 7 * 1= 7.  On the other hand, if you click everything, his weight is still 10, but now yours is 28, so it helps make the distribution more uniform.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2012, 12:57:18 pm »

Relevant: 
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2012, 01:02:27 pm »

I think this helps, IIRC Doug's biasing algorithm.  I think clicking a particular box gives the cards from that expansion 4x the weight.  So if your opponent clicks something and you don't, his biased contribution to the weight is 6 * 1 + 4 * 1 = 10, and your uniform supporting weight is 7 * 1= 7.  On the other hand, if you click everything, his weight is still 10, but now yours is 28, so it helps make the distribution more uniform.

Fascinating. So the auto-match bias works by weighting each card, and cards in biased expansions get increased weight? Once the weights are calculated for each player, are they added together to get the weights used for random selection?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2012, 01:06:48 pm »

Relevant: 

I almost posted that, haha.  Such an important relationship to have
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

rrenaud

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2012, 02:27:57 pm »

Fascinating. So the auto-match bias works by weighting each card, and cards in biased expansions get increased weight? Once the weights are calculated for each player, are they added together to get the weights used for random selection?

I thought it worked by first adding all the weights from all players for each card, and then doing a biased selection based on those weights.

But I can't find a dougz quote supporting this (just read all his 13 posts here, maybe it was on BGG?).  So I might just be hallucinating this.

Of course, there is opportunity to reverse engineer it by trying it out a bunch of times and seeing which theories best match the output.

rrenaud

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2012, 03:41:13 pm »
+3

Here is the algorithm, from dougz.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/6715749#6715749

Code: [Select]
- make a deck consisting of one of each available kingdom card
- for each player:
  - for each set that player has checked:
    - add 4 more copies of each card in that set to the deck
- shuffle the whole thing
- deal from the top of the deck until you have 10 different cards

So yes, it does have the property that checking all the boxes will give you a more uniform distribution if your opponent checks some of the boxes.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2012, 04:12:03 pm »

That's a pretty huge effect then. If only one player is using the checkboxes, then checked cards are 5x as likely to show up as other cards. In the case of Prosperity, since it's a big expansion, that means very roughly nearly half of cards will be expected to come from Prosperity, which means Colony games somewhere near half the time.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2012, 04:19:01 pm »

From now on I'm playing with all boxes checked.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.