Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Who is your nemesis?  (Read 18269 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Who is your nemesis?
« on: April 16, 2012, 10:15:20 am »
+1

Inspired by WW's admission that he just cannot solve marin: who is your Isotropic nemesis? 

I have trouble against the very good engine builders.  AVeryHappyFish, Obi Wan Bonogi, DG, etc. all dominate me whenever I play because I end up on the receiving end of some ridiculous engine that I wrote off as unfeasible.  Of course, they are at the top of the leaderboard, so I assume everyone has difficulty with them.  I am sure that there are others I would struggle against as well, but those are just the ones I have played (and lost to) the most.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Re: Who is your nemesis?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 10:22:39 am »

Although I don't have a large amount of games logged (compared to some others), this is no question for me.  Olneyce eliminated me in the quarterfinals of the DS Championship and again in Isodome 3.  While I have respectable records against other top players, I just haven't been able to get the upper hand against olneyce.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 10:22:54 am »

I'll have to second Obi Wan. I'm 9-16 (36%) against him lifetime, by far the worst record against anyone where I have a meaningful sample. Somehow I lose in situations which seem impossible to lose from against him, which is why it's so annoying to play him :)

While I wouldn't consider any of them nemeses, I probably become even more comptetive when playing the high-volume players near the top of the leaderboard. Winning against chwhite (though I haven't beaten him much lately :( ), jonts or WW feels a lot better (and losing feels a lot worse) than beating some random lvl 35-40 player, for me, and (trying to) doing well against the very top players is what keeps my interest in the game up.

I also have a feeling my name will come up from at least one specific player ;)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:27:11 am by Fabian »

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 10:30:37 am »

I don't have nemesises. I am one. MUHAHAHAHAH!

Seriously, though, I'm currently 2-6 against Fabian on Isotropic and it's probably a lot worse IRL. Other than that I feel that I loose a lot to PSUmvp and ghweiss, although it's not really that bad.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 10:31:33 am »

I'll have to third Obi Wan. I'm 2-6 against him, including four(!!!) resignations, all because I had fallen hopelessly behind in a game, they weren't even close.

On the plus side, my most recent win against him was 187-49  ::) (Goons-Wharf-Forge-King's Court-Mining Village)

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 10:37:22 am »

Lekkit and O, if being 2-6 against someone counts as nemesis territory, I have a lot more! And I guess a lot of people would consider me one too, then :)

Arya Stark

• Navigator
  • the things i do for dominion.....
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 10:38:33 am »
+1

Arya Stark Vs Tony Stark  ;D

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 10:47:53 am »

I'll have to confess to not being on top of the leaderboard and only having an even ratio with Theory, and not having played him for 6 months :) . I suppose I do try unconventional engines. Anyway there was a nice guy called African Heat who had a run against me for a while. I certainly remember getting one crunhcing king's court/saboteur win against him and feeling some measure of relief. In the other games there were plenty of moments like "He's taken two estates from the top of his deck with the scout, again!".

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 11:00:46 am »

Lekkit and O, if being 2-6 against someone counts as nemesis territory, I have a lot more! And I guess a lot of people would consider me one too, then :)

There's a difference between taking every 2-6 and turning them into nemesises (nemesi?) and feeling a seething hatred growing inside of you every time you hear their name. ;)

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 11:04:15 am »

So that's how you feel about me eh?

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 11:15:40 am »
+2

I guess that depends on the outcome of our IsoDom match and what the final standings of the Dominion League looks like.  8)

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 11:16:23 am »

I have actually have had very 50/50 like records against most of the top players.  Similar to Fabian, I do get much more competitive when I play top players although I haven't had much time to be in the scene lately. 

With that said, my nemesis is (was?) stef just baffled me game after game.  I remember playing a 4 game set with him and lost 4 times in a row.  stef was like lv 45ish then just disappeared, what happened?  I'm currently 1-5 and would like to TRY and redeem myself. 

CoheedandCambria

• Baron
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 11:16:36 am »
+2

There's a difference between taking every 2-6 and turning them into nemesises (nemesi?) and feeling a seething hatred growing inside of you every time you hear their name. ;)

Pretty sure plural of nemesis is nemeses (pronounced nem uh seez)

I guess I can call perdhapley my nemesis, he crushed me 6-1 in isodom challenge and I think I'm 0-2 against him otherwise. I don't despise playing against him though, he's a nice guy and we had some great games.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 11:18:38 am by CoheedandCambria »

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 11:19:10 am »

With that said, my nemesis is (was?) stef just baffled me game after game.  I remember playing a 4 game set with him and lost 4 times in a row.  stef was like lv 45ish then just disappeared, what happened?  I'm currently 1-5 and would like to TRY and redeem myself.

I remember him too. I was almost lvl 40 when he showed up, so I played him 3 times. Won two of those. But he was crazily good.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 11:23:49 am »
+1

Of all players I've played at least 15 games against, my worst record is against Michael Harris. But although I'm slightly ahead at the moment, I've always considered chwhite my nemesis, or maybe rival is a better term.

And just to brag a bit, I think I have to be considered Obi Wan's nemesis. I'm 19-7 against him.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 11:37:27 am »

Of all players I've played at least 15 games against, my worst record is against Michael Harris. But although I'm slightly ahead at the moment, I've always considered chwhite my nemesis, or maybe rival is a better term.

And just to brag a bit, I think I have to be considered Obi Wan's nemesis. I'm 19-7 against him.

Man! I'm 16-14 in my last 30 against him (losing a bit overall I think, harder to tell with how CR is now, not that I'm complaining), but that's really impressive! Dang

paddyodoors

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 12:05:38 pm »

I generally play on auto-match, so I get a wide variety of opponents, and I haven't played any one of them enough to have a large enough sample size to be able to label one a 'nemesis.'

(btw, I'm always up for an invite game with any player of any level.  If you're ever on and see paddyodoors feel free to invite me.

Also, I'm trying to improve my game -- so if you're a top-player or even a higher-rank, I'd love to play against you for the sake of learning.

And if you're lower level, I promise I won't bite, I just enjoy playing and I'm more than willing to share whatever tidbits I've picked up along the way.)

One player makes me feel like he is my nemesis is fellowmartian (0-5-1)... he is the only player who I have never beaten after at least 5 games.  But like I said, small sample size, so we're not in nemesis territory yet.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 12:14:47 pm by paddyodoors »

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 12:28:47 pm »
+2

For what it's worth, Obi Wan Bonogi agrees

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 12:32:31 pm »

For me it's Fabian. 3-11(21%)! Though it's better than then 1-10 it was at one point...

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 12:33:27 pm »

I can specifically remember the first game I ever played against WanderingWinder: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120122-142155-646aa9c9.html

I remember the game because I got a 3/4 start on a Minion and Torturer-with-lots-of-Villages setup, and he got 5/2. He got 3 Torturers and 3 village type cards (Border and Farming) before I hit $5 once. But I pulled out the win here by going for like 8 Minions, so I was pretty proud of myself!

Yeah, too bad I would almost never beat him again. My record against WW now stands at 4-18-1, way way worse than my record against anybody else. I need him to make educational Dominion videos where he explains how to defeat himself, I guess.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 12:36:30 pm »

outside of playing with friends and family...

ddubois is the one who comes to mind. i am 1-9-0 against him and it seems like it is never even close.  i've had some real stinkers against RisingJaguar too. 

on the flip side, i always seem to have chwhite figured out, 9-2-1 overall.  and i must say that i do enjoy stealing wins against Fabian or WanderingWinder.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 12:49:24 pm »
+1

I have really low sample numbers as I always play auto match when not with friends, but I would say "most challenging opponent" either goes to chwhite, Rabid or manzi.  Eli_K is a lower-level player (than them) that always gives me an uphill game.  I wouldn't consider any of them a "nemesis" though.  I pretty much treat all my opponents the same unless they give me a reason not to.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 01:06:29 pm »

I decided that if I ever got really really good at this game I would make my username KHAAAAAAAAAAN!! for just this nemesis reason!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 01:44:19 pm »

Man! I'm 16-14 in my last 30 against him (losing a bit overall I think, harder to tell with how CR is now, not that I'm complaining), but that's really impressive! Dang

Just to point out, in case anyone has had the same problem as WW: your record by opponent is still linked to from your player page, it just doesn't appear there by default any more.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 02:05:05 pm »

Given the way I've been playing the last week or two, I think my brain is my nemesis.

I usually auto-match +/- 10, so I don't have lots of games against too many people except those I encounter in tournament play, and very few games against the big names.  Of the people I've played lots of games against, it looks like my nemesis is Andwilk, who crushed me all the time in BGGDL and crushed me 2-5 in Isodom this week, though we have similar levels.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 22 queries.