Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Video Games  (Read 18998 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Video Games
« on: April 16, 2012, 07:22:30 am »
+2

My history with video games is quite long. At least, as long as it can be for a 26 year old.

It started with a very early PC which could play Test Drive, Paperboy and a sports game on a monitor which could display only orange and black. The system used those 5 1/2 inch megafloppies.

Over the years, the gaming systems and corresponding games have evolved significally. But in good games that are made with a lot of fun, I can still find the same sense of enjoyment I did as a kid. And if a game is bad, even the best graphics can't help it.

Which video games are you playing right now? Why are they good/bad?

I am currently playing The Book of Unwritten Tales.
It is a very funny Point 'n Click adventure with a lot of references to geek culture: Lord of the Rings, WoW, Magic: The Gathering, Diablo (II), the PnC genre itself, breaking the 4th dimension etc... You can really see that the designers had a lot of fun with the game. It reminds me of those old Lucasarts game like the Monkey Island series and Day of the Tentacle. I won't go as far as putting the game side by side with the legends of yesteryear, but if you enjoyed those, you will enjoy this. The game occasionally twists just enough to break the "collect-combine-use" routine often found in PnC games. I would give this game an 8 out of 10.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

paddyodoors

Re: Video Games
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 08:06:34 am »

I am a pretty committed gamer, and that includes both boards n' bits gaming as well as video gaming.

In my experience and tastes: Strategy Board/Card gaming > Computer (PC) gaming > Console gaming > almost all other hobbies.  (totally objective here  :P)

I say this, though, with an affection for all 3.

As far as video gaming goes, I started with old PC games like Zaxxon, Digdug, Snipes, Q-bert.  (5.5 inch floppies -which really were "floppy")

Since then, I've played TONS of PC games.  FPS, RTS, TBS, RPG -- all fun.  Doom series, Age of Empires series, Civilization series, Diablo II are probably the best examples of each of the four categories during my pre-adult PC gaming years.

Current favorites include:
-FPS: Source engine games like TF2, Portal series, Left 4 Dead series (finally playing through HL2 now -- been putting it off for a long time),
-RPG-action: a sweet-sweet 3D tower defense game called "Orcs Must Die,"
-TBS/RTS: the Total War series (played through Rome a few times, now on to Medieval II, excited to get to Empire).

What gets the most playtime currently?  HL2, TF2, and Orcs Must Die.

As far as console gaming goes, I've played a bunch of NES/SNES games, and then a handful of N64, Gamecube, and Playstation/PS2 games.  Probably my favorite out of these were Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and an old and mostly-unknown SNES game called Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen.

====

Yep, video games rock. :)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 09:56:13 am »
+1

Starcraft was my first real entry into serious gaming, and I met rrenaud through TeamLiquid.

Now Team Fortress 2 is my main love, and I really enjoy it for several reasons:

1) Because it has 9 very different classes, meaning you are almost playing 9 different games.  Maybe I want to go blow stuff up today, so I pick Demoman and launch explosives everywhere.  Maybe I want to be the game-changer, so I pick Medic and accept my role as the opposing team's highest priority target.  Maybe I want to play a stealth game, so I pick Spy and sneak up behind important targets to backstab them.  Every class requires a different playstyle, and it keeps the game fresh.

2) Because the art style is gorgeous, clear, and easy to scan.  I dislike the modern trend of dark gritty realism that ends up obscuring everything.

3) Because it is Team Fortress 2, and you can't get anywhere without a good team.  This makes the game occasionally frustrating if you get stuck on a really poor team, but more often it makes the game more engaging because youare constantly communicating with your teammates.  Victories feel like a big team effort.  My favorite gaming moment came on pl_goldrush, where on RED our team was picked off one by one, until I was the only person left, desperately holding off the last point, with my entire team cheering me on until they respawned and came to my rescue.

4) Because although it is easy to get into, there's a very long learning curve and opportunities for improvement beyond just being better at aiming.  Part of this is the teamwork, part of this is learning big picture strategy and tactics behind deploying Ubercharges, flanking, and area denial.

5) Because Valve has a fantastic sense of humor.  See, e.g., Meet the Spy, Meet the Medic.  The character descriptions are vaguely reminiscent of the back of the Dominion boxes:
Though he wanted desperately to fight in World War 2, the Soldier was rejected from every branch of the U.S. military. Undaunted, he bought his own ticket to Europe. After arriving and finally locating Poland, the Soldier taught himself how to load and fire a variety of weapons before embarking on a Nazi killing spree for which he was awarded several medals that he designed and made himself. His rampage ended immediately upon hearing about the end of the war in 1949.

What he lacks in compassion for the sick, respect for human dignity, and any sort of verifiable formal training in medicine, the Medic more than makes up for with a bottomless supply of giant needles and a trembling enthusiasm for plunging them into exposed flesh. Raised in Stuttgart, Germany during an era when the Hippocratic oath had been downgraded to an optional Hippocratic suggestion, the Medic considers healing a generally unintended side effect of satisfying his own morbid curiosity.

6) It's free :)  Not like, free until you get to X level, or free but all the good stuff you have to pay for, but literally and completely 100% free.  The only things you must pay for (and cannot find) are exclusively cosmetic items (hats hats hats! hats? hats!)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 10:24:31 am »
+1

I also love Team Fortress 2. That's a funny thing to be saying when you consider I probably haven't played it in a year. But, I do like the game. I remember people bemoaning that TF2 removed grenades, but I learned to go without. I loved the different roles that the game offers. I usually played Random when our team was winning. If it was losing, then I'd identify the role that was needed most and take that one. I'm especially glad that TF2 removed the Medic's ability to automatically find Spies. You know you're a great Spy when you can convince the Medic to turn you Uber.

I have fond memories of the old arcade and lament its loss. I saw Paperboy mentioned above as a console game, and I just can't do it. I played Paperboy with an actual bicycle handle as a control. There really was a connection when I had to pull back to brake.

I think the game I miss the most right now is APB. It was a fun, quirky game, but it also cannot be simulated on a console. I live in 720 sq. ft. right now, so buying a video game cabinet is out of the question. If I ever am forced into the suburbs, I'll make use of that extra space by buying APB. Also, 720, which also cannot be translated into a console.

My friend bought a kit where he could make his own cabinet with two sets of a joystick and six buttons. He hooked up a monitor and a computer with a pretty comprehensive emulator. It did pretty good at capturing the feel of many of the old games (Robotron, Donkey Kong, et al.).
A man has no signature

paddyodoors

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 10:35:55 am »

Now Team Fortress 2 is my main love, and I really enjoy it for several reasons:

1) ...

2) ...

3) ...

4) ...

5) ...

6) ...

^^^ these.  Absolute win.

TF2 is the first FPS that I have encountered where you need to take responsibility for your team's success (not only your personal glory) or be doomed to forever lose matches.  Your K/D ratio is not of primary importance.  Your contribution to your team is.

In a standard game, when you look at your team's composition and see that you have no medic, there are only three real options before you:

1) get on chat/voice comms and complain that there is no medic, trying to entice someone to switch,
2) pony up and switch to medic yourself, or
3) lose

Some people do #1.  People who "get" the team aspect of the game do #2.  Most people are willing to let #3 happen.

Teams who are made up of #2s are a TON of fun to be on.  When it's good, and it often is, TF2 just rocks.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:46:44 am by paddyodoors »

paddyodoors

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 10:46:09 am »

BTW, for those of you on Steam, I'm looking to expand my friends list a bit.  Mostly it's just been made up of family members (brother, cousin, father, sisters).  I'd be more than willing to befriend any upstanding Dominion Strategy Forum users such as yourselves.  (I'll even be willing to befriend the non-upstanding ones like you, theory.)

Feel free to send a friend request if interested.  My SteamID is p4ddy0d00rs (I have to have numbers instead of vowels in my name because I am a super-1337 uber-pro MLG haxor, lol).  I haven't been on in the past week or so due to the crazy work hours for the impending tax deadline (I am a public accountant), but I'll be logging on a lot in the next few days.

I don't just play TF2 either.  I'm up for just about any online multiplayer gaming (hence the near-addiction to isotropic ).  Check out my Steam profile for a list of my other Steam games (which doesn't even include my non-Steam PC games like AoE, AoK, etc.).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:51:54 am by paddyodoors »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 11:02:41 am »
+1

TF2 is the first FPS that I have encountered where you need to take responsibility for your team's success (not only your personal glory) or be doomed to forever lose matches.  Your K/D ratio is not of primary importance.  Your contribution to your team is.

My first experience of FPS teamplay was the CTF mod that was made for Quake. That was HUGE. Oh sure, there were death matches where you could change your color to be on a team, but that always annoyed me. When I play death match, I want there to be more targets to kill, not less. Of course, Quake's CTF had flaws, but team play evolved. It eventually led to Team Fortress. I fell in love with that game due to the different roles.

I also fell in love with Counter-Strike. After playing so much Doom, Quake, TF, and Half-Life, the concept of a game where you stay dead was different to me. Oh sure, those other games could be set so that you only had one life, but for some reason those just pissed everyone off. When CS combined dead-is-dead with objectives, it really stuck. Teamwork was really important for CS for that reason, especially if you had a server that turned on friendly fire (when run on a server that enforced mature behavior).

For some reason, I tend to like CS better than TF. I guess it's because of the dead-is-dead rule. Really, that doesn't work in TF. I won't say that TF is less strategic. It's just a different strategy. You know in TF that when you get killed, you can come back and correct your earlier mistake. Found a sentry gun? Respawn and approach more cautiously. That strategy, of course, doesn't work in CS.

I realize that I don't play a lot of team games lately because I don't have much time for video games (including Isotropic). Single-player games work better for me, since I can start and stop at my own pace. I actually have some free time this month, so maybe I'll go look for that TF2 icon. Definitely got me in the mood with this thread.

A man has no signature

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 11:53:17 am »
+1

Most of my video game experiences are strategy games. I grew up on Age of Empires and Command and Conquer and Civilization. And my favorite game of all time might be Alpha Cenauri.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 12:06:40 pm »
+1

I was big into console games during middle school, high school, and college. Now, I don't play nearly as much, and I only tend to buy new games that come out in a couple series that I like: Mario games, Zelda games, and Dynasty Warriors games.

Every year or so I replay several of my favorite games. These include: the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time; The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask; The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker; Super Mario RPG; and Donkey Kong Country 2.

Right now I'm playing Majora's Mask, which is my favorite video game of all time. The newest Zelda game, Skyward Sword, was really good, and I look forward to replaying that, too.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

paddyodoors

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 12:28:24 pm »

I was big into console games during middle school, high school, and college. Now, I don't play nearly as much, and I only tend to buy new games that come out in a couple series that I like: Mario games, Zelda games, and Dynasty Warriors games.

Every year or so I replay several of my favorite games. These include: the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time; The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask; The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker; Super Mario RPG; and Donkey Kong Country 2.

Right now I'm playing Majora's Mask, which is my favorite video game of all time. The newest Zelda game, Skyward Sword, was really good, and I look forward to replaying that, too.

I have the collector's edition of Zelda for the GameCube (many games on one disk).  The only game on there that I've played is OOT.  I've often considered giving MM a shot -- sounds like you recommend it!  :) :)  I may have to try it out.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 12:35:00 pm »
+1

I started out way back with King's Quest, and Hitchhikers Guide (DOS prompt based) floppys.

After that I moved onto console (snes) falling in love with RPG's (FF3,, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire 1&2, Secret of Mana, Illusions of Gaia, etc). I went from there to Playstation, staying mainly in genre, but finding myself drifting towards strategy (I loved Final Fantasy Tactics, and Tactics Ogre (a remake of Ogre Battle for SNES).

It wasn't until the later years of PS that I moved back into PC games (I also started getting into any card/board games I could find at the time). I played Diablo 1 and 2, as well as Statecraft for a long time. Trusting blizzard, I then ended up in the WoW world for a few years (I'm ashamed, I know. Don't laugh). It was during that time I got into my first FPzs,, counter-strike; so much so that I ran 4 servers for about 2 years (2 competitive, closely monitored -ff on of course-, one loose & relaxed, and the last with Warcraft mods).

Sadly, most of that is in the past now, as I don't have a lot of free time. I play, if anything, single player flash games now; something I can get up and walk away from if needed. Even dominion I don't get to play as much as I would like.

I still find some time to play old classic board games now and then. Favorites being Cosmic Encounters, Nuclear War, or any rail game (Eurorails, Australia, Nipon, etc). I also enjoy the occasional Space Alert, or Pandemic.

Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 12:39:55 pm »
+1

I have the collector's edition of Zelda for the GameCube (many games on one disk).  The only game on there that I've played is OOT.  I've often considered giving MM a shot -- sounds like you recommend it!  :) :)  I may have to try it out.

Oh man, you have to play Majora's Mask! I can't recommend it enough. It's especially enjoyable if you've already played OoT, as it sort of builds off of that one while going in a much darker direction.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 12:54:46 pm »

I play mostly Japanese games (RPGs primarily) and have composed gigantic nerd lists with insufferable ramblings about them.  Been trying to play more mainstream western stuff lately, just not the same enjoyment for me. (I only mention this as most games mentioned in this thread are western in origin)  I've been developing computer games for a long time, but slowed down a lot lately as my artist leaving killed a project I'd been working on for several years.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 03:52:24 pm »

I'm not a major gamer, but Portal 1 and 2 really are a necessity of any halfway-gamer to feel completeness in life.

paddyodoors

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 04:08:35 pm »
+1

I'm not a major gamer, but Portal 1 and 2 really are a necessity of any halfway-gamer to feel completeness in life.
lol I don't know if that is strictly true, but I agree with the spirit of your statement.  Portal is an amazingly fun game for gamers and non-gamers alike.  I've gotten four family members into more serious PC games by starting them out with Portal.  Each time, I would say "just play for 5 minutes.  If after 5 minutes you want to stop, I won't ever mention it again."  Needless to say, they all loved it, and played for much more than 5 minutes.   8)

The first game rocked my socks off, and I still laugh when I recall all of GLaDOS' cold, dry sarcasm.

And when Portal 2 was coming out I remember thinking "oh no way I'm going to get that.  I don't want to ruin my memories of the original with a shotty sequel."  And then I played it, and it was even better, funnier, more thought provoking.  Didn't think it was possible, but it was.

I think my favorite video game quote of all time is from the first Portal game:

"At the enrichment center we believe: if at first you don't succeed, you fail."

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 05:25:11 pm »
+1

WOW.  Starcraft (years ago) and SC2 (for about 6 months after it came out).

But deep strategy is my favorite when I have the time.  Civ (and I'm just fine with the way Civ 5 works), MOO, Space Empires (which is sort of a hipster MOO, most people really haven't heard of it), etc.

And of course Portal.

For those who like the crazy efficiency puzzles we seem to have here, I highly recommend SpaceChem and other games from Zachtronics.  8 Provinces in 8 turns is nothing compared to those.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 05:31:44 pm »

I'm a big fan of the Fallout Series and Skyrim. 

Civ III is an evergreen game that I always return to.  I should check out Civ V.  I wasn't a huge fan of Civ IV.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 07:39:26 pm »

I guess I have different gaming allegiances than the rest of y'all who have commented. For one, I do enjoy sports games very much. Mainly NBA games (NBA Street series, NBA 2k series), and Fifa, and Madden a bit as well. These aren't taken too seriously, but are still a great way to relax nonetheless.

The game I take most seriously is Super Smash Bros. 64 (the original on the N64 console). I am not as good as I would like, but I have a passion for the game. I know Melee is better, but I am too devoted to the good ol' 64, which has lasted me for well over half of my life to switch. I also used to be very much into the Halo series, I was best at Halo 3, but due to RROD and lack of time and such, I have had to give it up.

For the same reason that I never go on Reddit, I do not play StarCraft, WoW, LoL, or TF2. I know how addicting/fun it can be, and it terrifies me. I already sink enough time into the NBA and Dominion for me to pick up another obsession.

paddyodoors

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 10:46:46 pm »

But deep strategy is my favorite when I have the time.  Civ (and I'm just fine with the way Civ 5 works), MOO, Space Empires (which is sort of a hipster MOO, most people really haven't heard of it), etc.

Kirian, have you plated Sins of a Solar Empire?  I have really come to appreciate that game a bit more.  It's an RTS (not turn-based like the strategy titles you mentioned).  One thing that I think most RTS games have against them is that higher-level play can only happen with a very high rate of clicks-per-minute.  It almost becomes a game of dexterity than a purely intellectual enterprise.  Either way, SoaSE tones that down a lot, and I have found it to be a wonderful balance of long-term planning and short term tactical decision-making.  And it is multiplayer (easily saved and continued if you're playing a longer match).

For the same reason that I never go on Reddit, I do not play StarCraft, WoW, LoL, or TF2. I know how addicting/fun it can be, and it terrifies me. I already sink enough time into the NBA and Dominion for me to pick up another obsession.

Yes, I've been there -- it is so easy to get sucked in.  However, something that helped me was this: whenever I realized I was getting too attached to a game, let's say WoW, I would resolve to never play that game unless invited to do so by someone else.  I had people that I played with, and it always helped a ton that I would stick to my "diet" for that game and never play without an invitation.  It made the times that I did play more meaningful, and it kept me from developing an unsustainable habit with regards to that particular game.

Maybe something to shoot for if you're interested in getting into the games you mentioned there at the end without going overboard.  It worked for me, but naturally YMMV.  :)

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 12:19:49 am »

The game I take most seriously is Super Smash Bros. 64 (the original on the N64 console). I am not as good as I would like, but I have a passion for the game. I know Melee is better, but I am too devoted to the good ol' 64, which has lasted me for well over half of my life to switch. I also used to be very much into the Halo series, I was best at Halo 3, but due to RROD and lack of time and such, I have had to give it up.

I am a huge fan of all three Super Smash Bros games. You know, Melee has some balance issues. Three or four of the characters are just way, way better. So it's an improvement over the original in many ways, but I could see preferring the original. The third one, Brawl, is the best, I would say.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 07:31:42 am »

Any of the StarCraft players know ToT)Strafe?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 08:06:29 am »
+2

I am a huge fan of all three Super Smash Bros games. You know, Melee has some balance issues. Three or four of the characters are just way, way better. So it's an improvement over the original in many ways, but I could see preferring the original. The third one, Brawl, is the best, I would say.
You thought Melee had balance issues, so you'd rather play Brawl?  I'm confused.

Any of the StarCraft players know ToT)Strafe?
Yes, in the sense that I saw his posts on TeamLiquid and probably talked to him / played with him at some point in BW.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 09:50:12 am »

I see, he's a personal friend of mine although I never see him anymore.

He's from the same area as I am, but he's always travelling and working at exotic locations. I think he's in Thailand at the moment, but he has also lived in Gibraltar to manage a poker team. He got second place at the World Series of Poker in some No Limit event I believe.

Funny how the world is connected that way.

+1 for Portal and Portal 2, I care a lot for games that are made with enjoyment by the programmers. I love small jokes or geek/pop culture references.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 12:54:53 pm »

You thought Melee had balance issues, so you'd rather play Brawl?  I'm confused.

Well, balance issues aren't overriding for me in any case. I would play any of the three. But yeah, I would say Brawl is more balanced than Melee. They fixed some of the cheap moves. The discrepancies in character goodness aren't quite as large. You can't just Smash Move the smaller, weaker characters off the side of the map and kill them with 25% damage. There is no Pichu, etc.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 09:09:47 am »

Pichu is the sole reason I would ever go back to playing Melee. I miss that fellow.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.