Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Video Games  (Read 19042 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
Re: Video Games
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2012, 08:50:25 am »
+1

BTW, for those of you on Steam, I'm looking to expand my friends list a bit.  Mostly it's just been made up of family members (brother, cousin, father, sisters).  I'd be more than willing to befriend any upstanding Dominion Strategy Forum users such as yourselves.  (I'll even be willing to befriend the non-upstanding ones like you, theory.)

I sent you a friend request. Also sent one to theory. I recognize that avatar picture anywhere.

It was a pretty fun weekend, despite my internet connection being wonky. It was like rediscovering a new game. I even took the tutorial before unleashing my reacquired newbieness on the servers. I was impressed with the addition of the Engineer moving his buildings around.

It was like falling off a bicycle. I picked up my old tactics pretty easily. Getting used to the new features, like the Pyro's air blast. I still suck as a Sniper. Some things never change.
A man has no signature

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2012, 09:02:44 am »

Have been trying out the Diablo III beta over the weekend on my poor work laptop (the only computer I have left after my PC crashed).
Had to "escape" out of the "Your video card is not supported" dialog to even run the game.

With 800x600 and all details on "low" it ran pretty decent, until I came to the Skeleton King.
My poor laptop finally complained and started lagging enough to get me killed.

As much as I would like to play DIII, unfortunately I don't have $1000 lying around for a new PC just for this game. :(
And I don't think my boss would agree on upgrading my vid card.  ;D

Oh well, at least I'm having fun playing through Titan Quest again. Got excited now that I found out those guys have a new kickstarter program.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2012, 12:20:06 pm »
+1

For what it's worth, you can probably build a Diablo III-capable gaming computer for $600 or so.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2012, 01:29:14 pm »
+1

For what it's worth, you can probably build a Diablo III-capable gaming computer for $600 or so.
Still more than I'm going to be able to spend for a few years. Wife just bought the first set of diapers for our yet to be born baby. Man, those things are expensive!  ???

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2012, 01:42:50 pm »
+3

I'm not sure if you were just throwing a number out there, or what price you could afford to build a new PC, but a $1000 computer would be way beyond overkill for running Diablo 3.

Since you said your old PC crashed, you probably have some parts you could steal from it, but even if you can't here is a quick estimate without really making an actual effort:
Case + Power Supply $73 (-$20 rebate) http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.877364
CPU $78 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103886
Motherboard $50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186215
HDD $70 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136771
CD/DVD $20 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118031
RAM $30 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277
Video card $45 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102933
Should be able to run D3 on low settings: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=57444360&f=68
Medium settings as low as $60.  High settings as low as $140.

Total comes to $366 for a computer that can play D3. ($346 with the $20 rebate)

If you have an old crashed PC, you shouldn't need these, but...
Keyboard + Mouse $26 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.877648
Monitor $80 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009350

Even with new Keyboard, Mouse, and Monitor, it comes in at $472

I didn't spend a lot of time putting that together, so it can probably get a bit cheaper.  There are some pretty tiny hard drive options that are a lot cheaper (refurbished), Processor can go down a notch and still meet minimum D3 specs, and you could shave a few bucks off the other components.  With some effort, you could probably get a min-spec D3 box for around $300.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2012, 01:45:36 pm »

Do you know what happened to your computer that crashed?  A dead power supply or Hard Drive would be easy to replace and get your old one back up for cheap.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2012, 02:00:46 pm »

Still more than I'm going to be able to spend for a few years. Wife just bought the first set of diapers for our yet to be born baby. Man, those things are expensive!  ???

Diapers are just the start!

Not to threadjack - but I'd strongly taking a wait and see approach with the clothing... particularly for the sizes < 6 months.  If you end up with a fast growing kid, you could end up outgrowing the 6month clothes by the 3rd month.  We ended up with clothes that the boy never wore because he grew so damn fast.   Make sure you have enough for a full laundry cycle (remember ~2-3 outfits a day and 1 more layer of clothing than you would wear), but anything more than that is probably wasteful.  Yes, the kids clothes are cheaper than yours, but if he only wears it once before he outgrows it....

Anyway, congrats.  Plus, you won't have time for games anyway.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

paddyodoors

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2012, 02:27:55 pm »

I sent you a friend request. Also sent one to theory. I recognize that avatar picture anywhere.

It was a pretty fun weekend, despite my internet connection being wonky. It was like rediscovering a new game. I even took the tutorial before unleashing my reacquired newbieness on the servers. I was impressed with the addition of the Engineer moving his buildings around.

It was like falling off a bicycle. I picked up my old tactics pretty easily. Getting used to the new features, like the Pyro's air blast. I still suck as a Sniper. Some things never change.

Glad you enjoyed it!  As I mentioned before, TF2 is still getting better and better.  I only got hooked on the hat craziness for a couple of weeks, now I steer clear of it and I find I really enjoy the game so much more.

And yes, the Pyro's airblast is crazy... but really good in the right hands.  While on defense, the Pyro and his airblast is really the only thing that a team has at its disposal to stop an uber rolling in against them.

TF2 ... so fun.  If you ever see me on, hit me up.  It's always more fun playing with people I know than just random people.

... Wife just bought the first set of diapers for our yet to be born baby. Man, those things are expensive!  ???

True!  They are.  We have our second on the way (due in June), and I can attest to how life-changing (and budget changing) kids can be.  However, it is really really good... wouldn't change it for the world.

Congrats, man!  :) :) :) :)

Diapers are just the start!

Not to threadjack - but I'd strongly taking a wait and see approach with the clothing... particularly for the sizes < 6 months.  If you end up with a fast growing kid, you could end up outgrowing the 6month clothes by the 3rd month.  We ended up with clothes that the boy never wore because he grew so damn fast.   Make sure you have enough for a full laundry cycle (remember ~2-3 outfits a day and 1 more layer of clothing than you would wear), but anything more than that is probably wasteful.  Yes, the kids clothes are cheaper than yours, but if he only wears it once before he outgrows it....

Anyway, congrats.  Plus, you won't have time for games anyway.

^^^ what he said, except for the last line.

I have found plenty of time for games.  The first few months are the exception... it takes your body a few months to get used to the sleep deprivation.  :P

But after that, most infants (and toddlers) are content to sit on your lap while you play a game.  (This is true for IRL games... gaming on the computer is tougher to pull off.)  And when they're old enough to be bored by that, they are generally old enough to start gaming (albeit extremely simple games).

Just my thoughts... YMMV.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2012, 02:40:03 pm »
+1

TF2 ... so fun.  If you ever see me on, hit me up.  It's always more fun playing with people I know than just random people.

Agreed. I'll be glad to hunt you down (take that as you will).

Besides, I need to create a new list of favorite servers. I like finding consistent servers that actively discourage bad gameplay.

I was part of (well, guess I still am a part of) a "guild" called Crusty Old Fossil Rockers. It formed from the Counter Strike days as a haven for old gamers (over 25 years of age) to find like-minded people who don't much approve of childish hijinks that you'd find in the wild. During the CS craze, there were at least three servers dedicated to CoFR, in which members were allowed to become admins. If someone was being a jerk on the server, he was booted and possibly banned. As a result, we had some of the most elegant and friendly experience in a game about putting bullets into pixilated brainpans. Even cursing wasn't allowed, as many CoFR members had children that liked to watch the game. The players were even mature enough that the servers were set up to allow friendly fire. Obviously, FF isn't something you want in TF2 (it'd be Spy a way more powerful class, though).

I'm a little busy this week, but I'm finding excuses to get online here and there. Heh.

A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2012, 03:42:32 pm »
+1

Congratulations!  And what Frisk said.  Get more 3M/6M clothes than you think, and almost no NB clothes other than what people get you at the shower.  Both our girls outgrew NB at ~1 month and 6M by 4M.  Also, because so many people seem not to know it, for anything below size 4, the number is the age they're supposed to outgrow it, not the age they start...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2012, 01:45:44 pm »
+2

For fans of old video games, this is really well done little montage that might even bring a tear to your eye: http://www.avclub.com/articles/this-oddly-moving-montage-of-videogame-characters,73160/
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

lympi

• Salvager
  • You'll never catch me, Copper
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2012, 11:33:11 pm »
+1

For fans of old video games, this is really well done little montage that might even bring a tear to your eye: http://www.avclub.com/articles/this-oddly-moving-montage-of-videogame-characters,73160/

It really is an excellent video, they fit a lot into a couple minutes. Here's a list someone put together of all the games featured:

http://pastebin.com/CuERRhU6

I didn't put it together, but I did identify the last two unknown games, which I was entirely too proud about. (Hagane and Alien Carnage, for the record.)
Then God said, Let there be a Village, and another Village, and another Village, and a Village, and I've got a silver and a copper. I'll buy a Village. -Ousgg on BGG

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2012, 08:13:15 am »

Not being a hardcore gamer I'm still pretty proud I've played roughly 65% of the games I saw and recognized another 10% of them. :)

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.