Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Young Witch/Tunnel, Ironworks/Island, Ambassador, City: how do you play this?  (Read 1377 times)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile

This was one of the more insane boards I've ever played. Lots of strong combos available.
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/14/game-20120414-172058-a4d1f133.html
Young Witch, Tunnel, Ironworks, Island, Ambassador, City, Mining Village, University, Minion, Explorer, Cutpurse

We both went for Young Witch/Tunnel, but after I'd played a bit I wish I'd opened Ironworks before going into the YW/Tunnel combo. How would you have played with this kingdom? I personally found the choices offered overwhelming.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
+4

First off, anyone feel free to shoot me down on this.

When I look at this board, I see the power of Ambassador to neutralize the curse giving power of Young Witch.  I also see the potential to build an engine around University/Minion.  So I think I would actually open Potion/Ambassador.  The goal here is to pick up University with $2P, use University to gain Minion, and then use the Minion cycling to play Ambassador as much as possible (maybe even pick up a second Ambassador if necessary).  I want to stress this again, in the beginning of the game, I would *almost* always use Minion for the discard.  The goal here is to bloat the opponents deck while increasing the power of your engine due to the University.  At some point, I might also try to get some +buy from doubly activated Cities.  Keep in mind that in this game, a 3-pile could be likely, so I would also want to make sure that my opponent didn't have a chance to steal a win from piling.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3670
    • View Profile

I agree with shark_bait on how to play it. The risk here is that YW/Tunnel becomes a bit more potent when there are even more discards from Minion. Likely that player will end up with 10 curses and a bunch of copper, but also a bunch of Gold. So you need to be willing start buying provinces a bit earlier than you might like, but it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile

Thanks shark_bait, that's a really smart strategy that I didn't see. I ruled out Minions because of the appearance of Tunnel, but you're probably right that with an Ambassador and a couple Universities the majority of the Curses could probably be sent back to your opponent and you'd have such a lean deck to their bloated one that your opponent having a bunch of Golds wouldn't help them that much.

A Minion/University/Ambassador player would have to be really careful about piling as a Tunnel rush once the Minions and Curses are gone could easily end things in a YW/Tunnel player's favour if the Minion player wasn't careful. It wouldn't surprise me if the YW/T player got lucky and picked up enough Golds in a hand to opportunistically grab a Province or two. Still it's a lot better than the strategy I went with. Thanks for the help, I've still got a lot to learn about this game.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.