Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: M's Bracket - Week 4??  (Read 20500 times)

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
M's Bracket - Week 4??
« on: April 14, 2012, 05:42:54 pm »

I haven't seen the bracket posted this week for Mustard's half of the bracket.  I have completed my match with Kirian and wanted to post the results/commentary while I am still thinking about it.

andwilk defeats Kirian 5-2 (10 pts - 4 pts)

We chose to play with exactly 4 Alchemy cards in each game, providing for more than enough of an Alchemy feel in most of the games.

Game 1: andwilk 29-25 Kirian (http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/14/game-20120414-121435-ea84853d.html)
He wins the early cursing battle 6-4 with Familiars, but I win the Vineyard war 5-3 and that is the difference.

Game 2: andwilk 9-27 Kirian (http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/14/game-20120414-122408-27ce852c.html)
I was a hot mess in this one.  Another, Vineyards/Familiar game where Kirian heads for the Vineyards first.  I start to grab some too, but I also for some reason was using Apprentices to trash my actions for +cards, not helping my case for Vineyards.

Game 3: andwilk 44-resigned Kirian (http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/14/game-20120414-123426-b32b53cc.html)
I was able to grab a turn 6 Grand Market with Mining Village (trash)/Militia/Silver and by the time he resigned on turn 21, I had amassed a  6-1 GM lead, 4-1 Province lead, and we had split the Vineyards.

Game 4: andwilk 42-27 Kirian (http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/14/game-20120414-124229-9b5255d5.html)
Grand Markets are in play again, so I open Silver/Silver vs. Silver/Watchtower.  I add a Trading Post on turn 3 I was was fortunate enough to draw TP/Silver/Silver on turn 6 to allow me another early GM purchase.  This game was going to be too fast for an engine (I had bought a potion early on anticipating later Scrying Pool buys), so I transition to a Province rush at turn 11 and don't look back.

Game 5: andwilk 12-resigned Kirian (http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/14/game-20120414-125057-e48f11d8.html)
This game was over after turn 1.  He opts for Apprentice while I pick up an Upgrade (we both buy Cellar on turn 2).  Seeing that there was ample discarding opportunities (Cellar, Cartographer, Goons), I Upgrade my 3 Estates into 3 Tunnels.  By the time he resigned on turn 9, I already had an 8-1 Gold advantage.

Game 6: andwilk 33-43 Kirian (http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/14/game-20120414-130149-673cca5d.html)
The key to this game was the Universities that he bought and I chose to forgo.  I thought with Masq/Remake (which I opened) in the mix, this game was going to be way too fast for Universities to really matter too much.  I go for more of a BM strategy but start to choke on green in the mid-game.  He uses the Universities to drain the Market pile to keep me honest and threaten the 3-pile ending.

Game 7: andwilk 37-32 Kirian (http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/14/game-20120414-131652-95e9dd8b.html)
Again, Universities are the difference.  This time I build a University/Margrave/Stables engine vs. his Tournaments.  He is able to grab the first 3 prizes (Followers/Trusty Steed/Bag of Gold) before I get any, but he is a bit unlucky to not hit a Tournament/Province until turn 12.  I grab the final two prizes, Princess and Diadem which both play a huge role in my win since I really didn't have much of an economy.  I hit a bit turn on turn 20 to grab 2 Provinces and the lead at that point.  I'm able to end the game on turn 23 in 3 piles.  It was tough for him to get anything going after I amassed a ton of Margraves in my deck and was playing one almost every turn from turn 11 until the end of the game.

Overall, I had most of the luck throughout the series especially in the games with Grand Markets (you have to be a bit lucky to grab GMs on turn 6!)  Enjoyable series and I really enjoyed the discussion about the games afterwards.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: M's Bracket - Week 4??
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 06:33:42 pm »

Yeah, I really feel games 3, 4, and to a lesser extent 6 and 7, were decided by a luck factor.  After playing a few solitaire games, the average buy of GM seems to be right near T8 for all the various strategies we used... basically both times he got the left side of the bell curve and I got the right side.  While there's some luck with Remake in Game 6, I did use Uni-Masq to take an Estate from him and immediately Remake it.  A bit more Tournament luck for me in Game 7 would have been nice, but the University/Margrave engine killed my Tournaments before I could pick up steam.

There's no doubt in my mind that in Games 2 and 5 the loser was just plain outplayed--especially game 5.  Games 1, 6, and 7 were quite close; in Game 1 I could have tied but opted to try for the win, and in Game 7 I could have won by breaking PPR (but of course couldn't have known until too late).
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 07:35:40 pm »

Uh... should we be worried about Mean Mr. Mustard?
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Mergus

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 08:53:04 pm »

Hi profile says that he was active today. He's probably just very busy. Kirian is doing a good job in keeping the tournament going in my opinion.

ArjanB

• Spy
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 01:18:35 pm »

Who am I suppose to play against this week?

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 01:22:08 pm »

You can find your opponents here.

http://isodom.challonge.com/

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 04:17:16 pm »

Fabian beats StickaRicka 5-2. We played identical starting hands, no veto, point counter, 4 alchemy cards which seemed good to me.

Game 1 Fabian 35 - 45 StickaRicka
He goes BM with 2 Jester, I go BM with Militia/Embassy. I think I'm winning when the score is 29-26 in my favor and I have $8 with 2 Province remaining. If he buys Province, I win immediately, if he buys Duchy, I take the lead by 6 and he loses if he buys the last one since he went first. Instead his Jester flipped a victory card and after his Duchy I'm behind 29-28 and can't buy the penultimate Province myself, and I go on to lose.

Game 2 Fabian 41 - 23 StickaRicka
We both get 2 Familiar each more or less on time, but he gets an early curse lead and I'm starting to feel grumpy already. Eventually he wins the curse war 6-4 and I'm not feeling too optimistic, although in this game, I'm the one with all the Golds (3 to 0) and my money/Lab/Alchemist deck is too fast and I win pretty comfortably once he starts buying Duchies but no Provinces. His Possessions didn't get played very much, and didn't do very much.

Game 3 Fabian 55 - 3 StickaRicka
Engine board with City/Bridge/Scrying Pool/Golem/Possession, so all kinds of nonsense going on. His deck is slightly better, most notably because of a 7-2 City split in his favor, but meanwhile I have a Possesion I'm able to play reasonably consistently between my Scrying Pools and Golems. When his deck is ready to go nuts on turn 17, mine is thankfully ready too, and my Possession + buy out City/Bridge piles while being ahead on points means the 7 Cities in his deck are really good when I get to possess them next turn, and I'm able to buy out the third (Estate) pile easily, and then some. This could have gone either way, certainly.

Game 4 Fabian 53 - 61 StickaRicka
His turns 3/4 is Council Room/Gold to my Silver/Laboratory, and I think the game is pretty close to over already at this point. The Laboratory might be a pretty bad buy though. What happens is his deck is a lot better in pretty much every way, and when he starts buying double Duchies he wins the split 6-2 and goes on to win pretty comfortably.

Game 5 Fabian 50 - 19 StickaRicka
We open Sea Hag/Lookout and spend the first half of the game going through the usual Sea Hag shenanigans. In the midgame when my deck is reasonably small (thanks to 2 Lookout) I buy a Potion, looking to transition into University -> Torturer/Apprentice/Milita type stuff, and eventually Vineyard. Sticka doesn't follow and goes for a BM approach from there, which I think is pretty doomed.

Game 6 Fabian 30 - 28 StickaRicka
Masquerade board. I open Masquerade/Fishing Village, looking to buy a Bureaucrat and another Masquerade/FV, while Sticka opens Masquerade/Silver, although he then picks up an FV and another Masquerade too. Like most Masquerade games, it's quick and close, with me managing to edge it out in the end thanks to a 3 Masquerade turn which leaves me at exactly 8. Very close, could have gone either way.

Game 7 Fabian 42 - 23 StickaRicka
I'm not happy about ignoring University/Vineyard, but I fear Followers will be too good in that matchup. I don't know if that's right or not, in any case I buy lots of Tournaments and some money and stuff. Sticka gets the first two Provinces, but doesn't buy his first Tournament until turn 8, and is unable to connect before I do. Followers beats non-Followers. Fun card :(

Thanks for the games Sticka, was a pleasure playing you. Good luck in the rest of the tournament!

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 07:19:05 pm »
+2

Robz888 wins 5-2 over Mic Qsenoch

We played these games with 4 cards from Alchemy, except for the last one where we played with 6. Although I wasn't personally looking forward to Alchemy, this series ended up being a lot of fun. Alchemy has so much intraset interaction that the games felt really different from a standard Dominion game (even with just 4 Alchemy cards). As a result some interesting strategies came out (mostly by my opponent).

Mic Qsenoch 7-42 Robz888
Mic Qsenoch 33-36 Robz888
Mic Qsenoch 35-54 Robz888
Mic Qsenoch 33-24 Robz888
Mic Qsenoch 59-67 Robz888
Mic Qsenoch 36-73 Robz888
Mic Qsenoch 33-23 Robz888

Game 1 - I don't go for Masquerade (well I do, but then I pass them to Robz) out of fear of Possession, but I think the early trashing really helps my opponent get his deck off the ground. The most humiliating turn also happened in this game:
1. He plays a Masquerade, and passes me a Masquerade.
2. He plays Possession.
3. On his Possession turn he uses the Masquerade he just passed to give himself my Possession.
It was very painful.

Game 2 - I ignore Alchemy here and go for a Hunting Party deck, unfortunately without a terminal silver action. He goes for University/Hunting Party/Apprentice/Vineyards. Vineyards/University is great but there aren't a lot of good University targets beyond HP/Apprentice. I overbuy silver a little bit I think. I try and make the game end fast by Remodeling Provinces into Provinces, but there is one turn where I forget to do it, and that one turn ultimately costs me the game. A misplay lost this one for me.

Game 3 - This is a game where I just sort of muddle around. It really was pathetic. I have no plan and it really shows. After all, I lose to Philosopher's Stone! Which I pump up fast using Ambassadors. I think I wanted to Bishop a bunch of Golds that I got from Governor, but I gained Provinces too, which was clearly a mistake when I needed the game to last longer.

Game 4 - The board has Alchemist, Apprentice, Familiar, Tournament and Grand Market.  We both get Familiars, then transition to card draw. He gets a lot of Apprentices while I buy up Alchemists. First turn advantage really helps me out here as on my last turn I take a Princess from the prizes, and double Province to win.

Game 5 - Colony game. University shows up again with Inn/Cache as the 5s. So I'm definitely thinking Potion should be ignored. Then my opponent plays a Bridge and gains a Grand Market with University, and I slap my forehead. He gets a bunch more Grand Markets. I am playing Big Money. I assume he is going to crush me, but my opponent greens way too early and gives me a chance to win. I get a couple of heartbreaking $10 hands at the end and lose. He definitely outplayed me strategywise, but almost threw it away at the end.

Game 6 - Familiar board. I hit 2P, I think 'Thats okay, I'm player one I'll just pick up this here University and get a Familiar next time around'. Then I draw 2P again. So I lose this one. Looking back on it, I only lose the curse split 6-4, but I think I stopped paying attention during this one. It looks a bit more lopsided than it should because I avoided buying green with the goal of catching up with Monuments. Which was never going to happen. Also the treasure buys make my Monument plays even slower.

Game 7 - We kick it up a notch to 6 Alchemy cards. Apprentice, Golem, Possession, Apothecary, Herbalist are in play. We play Possession a lot, and use our opponents Apprentices without care to draw decks with ease. I think his Bridge really helps me a lot as I'm able to Province/Province and Province/Duchy. First turn advantage is also big here with Apprentice almost guaranteeing you can get the last Province if you want it. I thought this game was really fun.

I played pretty poorly, but I enjoyed watching my opponent put together some really interesting decks. Robz888 was a great opponent, and very sympathetic when I got bad draws. He definitely outplayed me overall in the series though, and deserved his wins.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 08:06:36 pm »

I played pretty poorly, but I enjoyed watching my opponent put together some really interesting decks. Robz888 was a great opponent, and very sympathetic when I got bad draws. He definitely outplayed me overall in the series though, and deserved his wins.

I agree that I outplayed you, and I am certainly satisfied with myself for some cool wins with cards that I have never used well (like Philsopher's Stone and University). However, I can't ignore the fact that I got luckier this series than in any Dominion games ever in my life. I don't think I ever had a bad turn (collision, not enough money, whatever) until the last game. You, on the other hand, did something to offend the Dominion gods. Do you sacrifice calves to false idols, in your spare time? Only that could explain Game 6.

(One thing to note about our Game 2 that wasn't mentioned: my Vineyards with University plan was really weird, because after the HUnting Parties were gone, the only action cards I could gain were all cards that trashed actions--Apprentice, Remodel, Trader. So I would have these ridiculous hands where I didn't want to Apprentice anything, because I need the Vineyards points. Anyway, it was strange).
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 09:32:44 pm »

Note that I'm not inputting scores there for this bracket, and really only have the time to do so for my bracket.  If someone wants to take on that responsibility (I see people in the Wk 3 thread posting point totals) them let me know by PM.  It's not like the numbers can't readily be checked. :)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 08:12:13 am »
+1

Note that I'm not inputting scores there for this bracket, and really only have the time to do so for my bracket.  If someone wants to take on that responsibility (I see people in the Wk 3 thread posting point totals) them let me know by PM.  It's not like the numbers can't readily be checked. :)

Someone has been found!  Thanks to those who volunteered.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 10:22:22 am »
+1

Just finished my games with ugasoft. 4-3 in my favour.

36-34 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-060901-754a319f.html Philosopher's stone is a weakness of mine. However, it turned out ok for me, even though I had to break PPR.
20-32 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-061540-5e6aaad3.html I get off to a slow start and it all just goes downhill from there.
37-18 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-062056-8bf0504a.html ugasoft goes for Double Jack. I go for some crazy HP/Alchemist/Possession deck that ends out on top. Really fast game.
11-49 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-063451-ba70d97e.html I get outplayed in a Masquerade/Possession game.
63-47 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-064824-962b73db.html Another slow Possession game. This time with Scrying Pool. ugasoft had some really bad luck with his draws in this game. I'm not really sure it was game-deciding, but it could well be.
28-37 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-065852-65c46a62.html I get outplayed in yet another Possession game.
22-5 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-071000-8d85344a.html A weird game where I go for more Lookouts than I usually do. I end up winning without a single green card with the help of a single Goons doing their stuff.

Thanks, ugasoft, for the games! Good luck in the rest of the challenge and I hope to play you again some time! :)

@Fabian: Do you feel prosperous? I sure do! Bring it on!

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 10:28:31 am »
+1

I'm ready when you are, bring it on!!

ugasoft

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 02:36:38 pm »

Just finished my games with ugasoft. 4-3 in my favour.

36-34 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-060901-754a319f.html Philosopher's stone is a weakness of mine. However, it turned out ok for me, even though I had to break PPR.
20-32 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-061540-5e6aaad3.html I get off to a slow start and it all just goes downhill from there.
37-18 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-062056-8bf0504a.html ugasoft goes for Double Jack. I go for some crazy HP/Alchemist/Possession deck that ends out on top. Really fast game.
11-49 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-063451-ba70d97e.html I get outplayed in a Masquerade/Possession game.
63-47 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-064824-962b73db.html Another slow Possession game. This time with Scrying Pool. ugasoft had some really bad luck with his draws in this game. I'm not really sure it was game-deciding, but it could well be.
28-37 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-065852-65c46a62.html I get outplayed in yet another Possession game.
22-5 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-071000-8d85344a.html A weird game where I go for more Lookouts than I usually do. I end up winning without a single green card with the help of a single Goons doing their stuff.

Thanks, ugasoft, for the games! Good luck in the rest of the challenge and I hope to play you again some time! :)

@Fabian: Do you feel prosperous? I sure do! Bring it on!

Thank you Lekkit, i cannot say that those were good games because I truly hate alchemy... really, I usually veto alchemy cards and I utterly cannot understand why a card like Possession was ever designed and approved for publishing!

After all, 4-3 was not too bad for me, I'm still fighting for the top positions (not the first one) of the division :)

In depth analysis: two games I think he played (really really) better than me. two games I think I've played (a little bit) better than Lekkit, three games was decided by luck.

I have lost luck fight (double jack vs possession... I still cannot believe I've lost it!), but in the games he undoubtedly dominated me I've seen a "skill difference" that reflects our ranking difference ;)

In my (poor) defence I can say I consider myself really a noob with Alchemy cards, sometimes I started the game with no strategy at all ^_^

I hope to play with you again, Lekkit, but in a "normal" match!

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 02:51:26 pm »

@Lekkit:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-060901-754a319f.html

I did some simulation work a while ago and you made some mistakes with the Phil Stone/Herbalist strategy:

-buying the second Potion is overkill. Rather buy a Herbalist. It expands the deck with its extra buy and is extremely important in the end game to consistently return the Phil Stone while Potion is a dead card in the endgame
-the strat looks like a big money strat, but it's actually a weird sort of engine where Silvers don't accomplish much. You should buy Herbalist over it
-extra buys should be Coppers, even in the early game!

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 03:33:01 pm »

I'm pretty sure I did some mistakes. I've seen the simulation data on Stone/Herbalist, but I couldn't really remember the stats, and I guess I didn't believe in the stones enough to buy coppers early.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 05:34:24 pm »

Just had a fun series with fit1one, some flashy play. DG 6 - 1 fit1one.

DG 86 : 6 fit1one http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-125745-4e05ce47.html
DG 44 : 53 fit1one http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-130645-e685780f.html
DG 38 : 13 fit1one http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-131439-ae527fc1.html
DG 40 : 18 fit1one http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-132923-09b0e442.html
DG 39 : 19 fit1one http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-134236-0b73b45c.html
DG 39 : 18 fit1one http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-135149-68f86a86.html
DG 66 : 61 fit1one http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-141346-e35cb6cd.html

Game one : Possession + apprentice, need it to win, hate it when you lose
Game two : Possession with good cycling beats a dull treasure based deck
Game three : Apprentice with peddlars gets me out of a big hole here
Game four : Alchemy based horn of plenty decks
Game five :  Philosophers stones in messy mountebank and familiar game
Game six : Golem/highway/conspirator rush with universities and herbalists
Game seven : almost a big golem/bridge combo for fit1one but I get some lucky sabotage and stagger to a vineyards  finish

Fun series, Thanks for the games.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 05:52:26 pm »

MrEevee wins 4-3 over lespeteure.

We played every game with 4 cards from alchemy and even that felt a bit over the tob tbh. I was hoping to play fun university-vineyards or scrying pool engines, all we got was familiar races and a torturer pin for the deciding game. Some of the boards were very annoying to play, because shuffle luck played a huuge role and having the winner decided by turn 10 generally doesnt make for very interesting dominion. (Note: none of this frustration is directed towards my opponent (who was very nice) or the guys running this tournament (you are doing an awesome job). We just got very unlucky with the boards is all.)

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-130321-c9f7c397.html
lespeteure 32 - MrEevee 36
My opponent draws 5-2 as the first player on a board that looks like vault-BM to me. He tries to go for some kind of a vineyard thing with pawns, I buy two vaults which proves to be better. This was perhaps the only game in the series where one of us clearly messed up.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-132101-3bb6dd5a.html
lespeteure 47 - MrEevee 83
This game fell absolutely beautiful for me, my opponent got unlucky in the beginning and I took an early lead and built a pretty fun engine. Definitely the nicest game of the set for me.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-132734-eb5241d2.html
lespeteure 35 - MrEevee 11
5-2 is dreadful for me here, I open potion - secret chamber looking to get lucky with familiar or possession while my opponent plays fairly straightforward masquerade-big money. The best part of this game was that it didnt last very long.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-133643-d78b8446.html
MrEevee 25 - lespeteure 39
Apothecary + alchemist, I probably make some mistakes somewhere, he has a big deck quality lead right from the beginning, I'm never able to catch up.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-134205-1c631c5c.html
MrEevee 48 - lespeteure 54
Really weak board with apothecary, gardens and festival being the key cards (with some philosophers stones in the mix). I never draw 5 to buy a festival, my opponent gets two and a 6-2 gardens split. My better economy has me buying provinces more often and having a safe-looking leading right until the last turn where my opponent draws two philosophers stones to double province and win. I really thought I had it, but lespeteure played this better so it was certainly a deserved (albeit a bit dramatic) win.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-134904-1cedcab7.html
MrEevee 48 - lespeteure 33
Familiar + golem + university + plenty of good actions to grab with it. I draw 2 + potion on turn 4 but the university proves to be very valuable with grabbing laboratories and monuments. I think lespeteures decision to favor border villages over golds is definitely a mistake here.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-135809-da05419f.html
lespeteure 7 - MrEevee 9
So it's 3-3 and we both go for the very obvious university - torturer pin in the deciding game. He has awful shuffle luck in the early game, I draw very bad in the middle but yet again early luck proves to be more useful as I finally get some villages and tortures in the same hand and manage to play 6 torturers on turn 15. I decide to empty the villages with my university (torturers were already out and there was just 1 curse left), my opponent started his next turn with a 2 card hand and I had a 4 point lead. He plays a village then a torturer, I take the curse knowing he wont have enough of an economy to even get a duchy, he has to settle for an estate and I manage to end a very close game on my opponents turn which is somewhat unusual.

Thanks for the games lespeteure, definitely feels good to beat such a strong player. As a side note, playing tournament matches is really fun, I notice myself concentrating a lot better and generally trying much harder than I otherwise would.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 03:31:49 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-130321-c9f7c397.html
lespeteure 32 - MrEevee 36
My opponent draws 5-2 as the first player on a board that looks like vault-BM to me. He tries to go for some kind of a vineyard thing with pawns, I buy two vaults which proves to be better. This was perhaps the only game in the series where one of us clearly messed up.
Yes, I did mess it up. Completely. This was one of the funniest misinterpretations of a board I've made recently, I think.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-132101-3bb6dd5a.html
lespeteure 47 - MrEevee 83
This game fell absolutely beautiful for me, my opponent got unlucky in the beginning and I took an early lead and built a pretty fun engine. Definitely the nicest game of the set for me.
'absolutely beautiful' is quite a good description. t3: 5$ for an upgrade to cycle faster and thin the deck; t4: 4$P for the familiar while I get mine on t5 only. Game over.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-132734-eb5241d2.html
lespeteure 35 - MrEevee 11
5-2 is dreadful for me here, I open potion - secret chamber looking to get lucky with familiar or possession while my opponent plays fairly straightforward masquerade-big money. The best part of this game was that it didnt last very long.
I guess i would've still tried masquerade with 5/2 but it was obviously a huge advantage for me. I feared possession a bit which he could've used to masquerade my provinces but then it was over rather soon.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-133643-d78b8446.html
MrEevee 25 - lespeteure 39
Apothecary + alchemist, I probably make some mistakes somewhere, he has a big deck quality lead right from the beginning, I'm never able to catch up.
I think, this mistake is the coppersmith in t4. We both get an apothecary on t3 (while at least I was aiming at alchemist) and Eevee likes to combine apothecary with alchemist. I get a 2nd potion to make sure I can run my alchemist deck consistently from the start and throughout the whole game (which I did), buy apothecary or alchemist every turn and buy double alchemist if possible. Herbalist helps.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-134205-1c631c5c.html
MrEevee 48 - lespeteure 54
Really weak board with apothecary, gardens and festival being the key cards (with some philosophers stones in the mix). I never draw 5 to buy a festival, my opponent gets two and a 6-2 gardens split. My better economy has me buying provinces more often and having a safe-looking leading right until the last turn where my opponent draws two philosophers stones to double province and win. I really thought I had it, but lespeteure played this better so it was certainly a deserved (albeit a bit dramatic) win.
Yes, I got lucky with the festivals. And then even more so with my final turn where festival and the 2 stones fall together nicely just before Eevee could end it.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-134904-1cedcab7.html
MrEevee 48 - lespeteure 33
Familiar + golem + university + plenty of good actions to grab with it. I draw 2 + potion on turn 4 but the university proves to be very valuable with grabbing laboratories and monuments. I think lespeteures decision to favor border villages over golds is definitely a mistake here.
I fell into the BV trap. I feared I might just skip the gold with the golem but I should've concentrated on card draw and gold, you're right. However, when I get familiar on t5 only (again) and you get lots of labs to cycle fast I think there is little to be done. But chances to pull it out would've been better with gold.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-135809-da05419f.html
lespeteure 7 - MrEevee 9
So it's 3-3 and we both go for the very obvious university - torturer pin in the deciding game. He has awful shuffle luck in the early game, I draw very bad in the middle but yet again early luck proves to be more useful as I finally get some villages and tortures in the same hand and manage to play 6 torturers on turn 15. I decide to empty the villages with my university (torturers were already out and there was just 1 curse left), my opponent started his next turn with a 2 card hand and I had a 4 point lead. He plays a village then a torturer, I take the curse knowing he wont have enough of an economy to even get a duchy, he has to settle for an estate and I manage to end a very close game on my opponents turn which is somewhat unusual.
I'm kind of released there is no familiar on this board. Still I'm worrying I might get university on t5 only like with the familiars before. I'm so wrong with that worries. It'll get worse..

— lespeutere's turn 2 —
lespeutere plays 3 Coppers.
lespeutere buys a Cellar.
(lespeutere reshuffles.)
(lespeutere draws: a Potion, 3 Estates, and a Copper.)

— lespeutere's turn 3 —
lespeutere plays a Potion and a Copper.
(lespeutere draws: a Cellar and 4 Coppers.)

I liked my cellar buy to speed things up and I almost made it when Eevee discarded a lot during my nice torturer turns but then my torturers miss the early part of one shuffle and his advantageous split (7-3) comes into play.

Thanks for your kind words (strong player etc. ;-)) and for the match. I think we made the most (fun) of it. :-)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 06:42:40 pm »

Masticore and I got the first two games in, 4 alchemy cards a set, with him having some serious connection issues. He ended up DC forfeiting on both, but was gracious enough to give them both to me (I think they were both pretty clearly in my corner, but nevertheless arguably not 100% certain). We're going to try to finish up tomorrow morning, when hopefully his connection will be better.

Here's the logs:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/17/game-20120417-152408-b07cce61.html
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/17/game-20120417-145635-754e75ac.html

Brief overview description: Game 1: He goes potion/chapel, I go Young Witch/Chapel (village is bane). He only ever buys 1 familiar with his potion before trashing it (scrying pool and alchemist also on board). The curse war is split, but I'm able to get rid of mine much much faster. I think the big thing here is that I go for lots of villages into wharves and build up a nice sized engine before turning green (this not only helps my buying, but also helps me to cycle and trash, and will help my resiliency in the long run). He gets one wharf and some money and then heads for green.

Game 2: He goes for caravans into a quick forge. I look to herbalist/Phil Stone. And pick up an early possession for some good luck, which is devastating to him (forge is much better in a possessor's hands).

ArjanB

• Spy
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 05:18:26 am »

ArjanB 4  vs.  Tonks77 3
Yes yes yes. My first victory.

Game 1
ArjanB vs. Tonks77  57-38

Cards in supply: Colony, Contraband, Embargo, Familiar, Gardens, Golem, Governor, Hoard, Platinum, Potion, Remake, Scrying Pool, and University

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120417-111135-9ca5c24f.html

First thing I saw was Governor. With remake and governor I decided to ignore Familiar and go for a governor rush. With a lot of money and 6 governors and two remakes I started greening and won pretty easily.

Game 2
Tonks77 vs. ArjanB  30-66

cards in supply: Alchemist, Ambassador, Familiar, Golem, Herbalist, Inn, Library, Menagerie, Navigator, Potion, and Silk Road

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120417-112710-fadd9bde.html

Tonks opens Amb – Amb, me Amb – potion.
We both didnt buy Familiar because of the presence of Amb.
I was going for Alchemist and Tonks had some really heavy shuffle unluckyness.( is that a word?)
Because of that I could easily win. It took me a while te finish the game because of missing potions – Alchemist connections and me screwing around with the Herbalist – Alchemist clean up order.

Game 3
Tonks77 vs. ArjanB  60-44

cards in supply: Alchemist, Crossroads, Develop, Herbalist, Island, Lookout, Philosopher's Stone, Potion, Scout, Swindler, and Vineyard

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120417-114250-fa479522.html

This game was a mess. Tonks outplayed me here. I underestimated the presence of Swindler.
My plan was to go for Vineyards with a lot of alchemists-scouts-crossroads. I think I made a lot of wrong decisions. Swindler is off course a very good card against Alchemist.

Game 4
ArjanB
vs. Tonks77  38-28

cards in supply: Apothecary, Bridge, Governor, Herbalist, Moat, Noble Brigand, Philosopher's Stone, Potion, Shanty Town, Swindler, and Transmute

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120417-115254-f2025dfb.html

A very quick game because of the presence of again Governor. I open Bridge – Swindler and Tonks Potion – Swindler.
I am very bad with Apothecary and I dont really know what Tonks was planning with his potion.
I got alot of Governors and ended the game on turn 11.

Game 5
Tonks77 vs. ArjanB  59 - -100

cards in supply: Colony, Contraband, Fool's Gold, Forge, Herbalist, Market, Pearl Diver, Platinum, Possession, Potion, Transmute, Vineyard, and Wishing Well

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120417-120010-3c5d7b22.html

Money money money. Nothing really to do here. I decided to go for Possession but that wasnt the right choice on this board I think.
On turn 6 I bought a Gold for 7, I should have bought a Forge here.
I bought some Possessions while Tonks was buying money and VP’s.
I felt far behind and resigned.

Game 6

ArjanB
vs. Tonks77  33-28

cards in supply: Apothecary, Apprentice, Chancellor, Contraband, Harvest, Hoard, Menagerie, Philosopher's Stone, Potion, Vineyard, and Woodcutter

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120417-120727-c581787a.html

I went for BM with two Apprentice’s and a Harvest.
Again Tonks went for some apothecaries with apprentice and a woodcutter.
We both trashed some things and bought Hoards to gain gold.
Last turn I could trash a Province for 8 cards to buy the last province.
Again I don’t know if apothecary was the right choice.

Game 7
Tonks77
vs. ArjanB  72 - 57

cards in supply: Apprentice, Bank, Colony, Familiar, Ironworks, Moneylender, Platinum, Possession, Potion, Scrying Pool, Tournament, Walled Village, and Woodcutter

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120417-122605-d02b08b1.html

Interesting Kingdom. There is an Apprentice, Familiar, Possession, Scrying Pool and a Tournament.
I had a 5-2 split and decided to go for Potion – Nothing. I don’t know if that was the correct play there.
We both bought a moneylender,two Familiar’s and some tournaments. On turn 10 I finally bought a Apprentice. Tonks,with 3 apprentices, trashed a lot for cards and gained the first price which was a bag of gold. The right choice. Tonks was really crushing me. On turn 19 I bought a Possession thinking that it wouldn’t really mather any more. But, I get some really nice Possessions turns. On turn 25 I got a really nice possession  turn (1 colony – 2 Province and 2 duchies)  which brings me back with 4 points behind. But with 1 colony and two provinces left Tonks got $11 and bought the last Colony.

Some fun games and some boring games. Overall it was nice playing you Tonks, good luck with the rest of your games.

For the rest of the forum
You’re welcome to post congrats on my first win. ;)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 12:23:08 pm »

Masticore and I got the first two games in, 4 alchemy cards a set, with him having some serious connection issues. He ended up DC forfeiting on both, but was gracious enough to give them both to me (I think they were both pretty clearly in my corner, but nevertheless arguably not 100% certain). We're going to try to finish up tomorrow morning, when hopefully his connection will be better.

Here's the logs:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/17/game-20120417-152408-b07cce61.html
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/17/game-20120417-145635-754e75ac.html

Brief overview description: Game 1: He goes potion/chapel, I go Young Witch/Chapel (village is bane). He only ever buys 1 familiar with his potion before trashing it (scrying pool and alchemist also on board). The curse war is split, but I'm able to get rid of mine much much faster. I think the big thing here is that I go for lots of villages into wharves and build up a nice sized engine before turning green (this not only helps my buying, but also helps me to cycle and trash, and will help my resiliency in the long run). He gets one wharf and some money and then heads for green.

Game 2: He goes for caravans into a quick forge. I look to herbalist/Phil Stone. And pick up an early possession for some good luck, which is devastating to him (forge is much better in a possessor's hands).

Finished our match this morning. Videos being uploaded as I type this. First of all, the overall match score is 11 points (WW) to 3 points (Masticore) i.e. I won 5 games, Masticore won 1, and there was a rejoicing of a shared victory.

Logs will be up tomorrow - I've apparently neglected to save a couple.
Thoughts:
Game 3 - Potentially every single card is important here, no joke. I go for wharf with a little mining village support into IGGs and provinces. He goes for Alchemist/Lighthouse/golem/wharf with some mining villages, gravs some IGGs too. And a late oracle. Anyway, I get a lead in provinces, but he's able to keep up pretty close, I have second-player tiebreak, which ends up not directly coming up, but I'm able to squeak out a win.

Game 4 - Familiar and Ill-Gotten Gains. You know, these cards both came up a ton. Here, possession, smugglers and stash are all also potentially important. He goes for familiar, I go for IGG. He's able to split the curses this time. I go for stashes over golds, wanting to effective ability to get provinces over the long haul, but I'm not sure that this was right. He is able to leverage his extra turn into a 3-point win, going for golds much more conventionally.

Game 5 - Familiar, golem, vineyard, workshop, swindler, monument, quarry, nobles. we race for familiars, then nobles, pop a couple vineyards. He looks to be going for vineyards hard late. But we'd both had really bad luck with our swindlers hitting anything important, so I'm able to run out the estates with a lead for the third pile.

Game 6 - Familiar. Again. But we both get a 5/2 split, with embargo on board. Well, neither opens potion, and I backdoor later. He goes for apprentice and I go tribute. He then blocks the apprentices, I embargo caravan. He gets a second embargo after my potion and is able to get it down on familiar before I buy one, which I of course do anyway. Maybe should have gotten a second. Lots of embargo tokens go down. I slap two on province, wanting to stop him from going too far while I still have a big economic disadvantage. Eventually, the idea is, I'll run out the curses with my familiar. In the meantime, I build my economy, and we posture for duchies. Piles start to run low, though, and I get worried, cursing him sorta slowly. I eat some more curses, grabbing more provinces, and catch up. However, his deck is also strong enough to match my pace, and I buy out the last province to tie.

Game 7 - Familiar, and IGG. Also Haggler. So I go for a haggler into IGGs, he goes for familiar, and he goes down hard. I have lots of cash after the curses are dealt (he only has one efficacious play of familiar) due to haggler->gold+IGG, and I can keep this up with Haggler->Province+Gold, cruise to a win.

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 05:46:32 pm »

Rabid 5, Luliin 2

Thanks for the games, and apologies again for the saboteur game.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/18/game-20120418-134058-906564c6.html
Amb + peddler +  salvager my draws line up nicely for the win.
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/18/game-20120418-134717-154c28eb.html
My Alchemist + BM, beats transmute + vineyards, not enough cheap actions to boost the vineyards I think. 
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/18/game-20120418-135339-13a99b16.html
Luliins extra Ghost ship is key in this game, a solid win here.
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/18/game-20120418-141149-f7e0807e.html
Brutal 27 turn saboteur Game, Saboteur is unfair against cards with potion costs.
I play the mid game terribly, messing up scheme + alchemist, but with my opponents deck containing 19 copper + 9 Estates, I have lots of time to rebuild my economy claim 2 Provinces for the win.
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/18/game-20120418-142255-83b70e61.html
Strange Uni + Governor game that I win on piles on Turn 17, I guess I needed more gold?
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/18/game-20120418-142922-b791b889.html
My 2 Bureaucrat in to Gardens, beats Remake into gardens.
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/18/game-20120418-144035-4d8855b4.html
Excellent Uni / Conspirators / Islands / Vinyards play from Luliin,
I kept drawing $6 and buying gold, nearly got there with BM, but was just a few turns too slow.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 02:44:27 pm by Rabid »
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 10:47:27 pm »
+1

jonts26 over Young Nick
5 games to 2

This was a pretty wild series. Young Nick deserved better than 2 wins as parts of my play were just awful. But just as a quick recap we had a game where thief featured heavily, one where coppersmith was absolutely out of control and another where counting house picked up 20+ coppers. I did record videos for the series. Uploading them now. Though some of them are a bit embarrassing in how scatterbrained I was. First one here:

Game 1: Young Nick 51 - 23 jonts26 Video
University, Wharf with Golem and City support. Lots of power cards. I fall behind early and never manage to get back in the game.

Game 2: Young Nick 83 - 82 jonts26 Video
Vineyards, Fairgrounds, Dukes. All viable threats. Honestly I have no idea what to do, and if you watch the video you see me keep changing my mind on what to do. I'm pretty sure I played this terribly. Maybe WW can chime in. This seems right up his alley. I come very close to winning several times but ultimately just cannot close it out.

Game 3: Young Nick 18 - 55 jonts26 Video
Wharf, Village, Coppersmith. Coppersmith plays big when you're drawing your deck each turn. Also some wishing well and apothecary like each other.

Game 4: Young Nick 44 - 48 jonts26 Video

I'm pretty sure I didn't deserve this one. Colonies with Mountebank Cache and Counting House. I consider the latter two but never really pick them up going for more straight big money with a forge. One turn I miscounted and forged all my stuff into a $10 card. Young Nick has a turn picking up 20 coppers with CH.

Game 5: Young Nick 32 - 33 jonts26 Video
Another game where I'm just not quite sure about Vineyards. We both end up ignoring Familiar, going Trader, big money, hoping to get some free silvers with cache. He breaks PPR and I squeak out a win.

Game 6: Young Nick 19 - 40 jonts26 Video
Vineyards again. And this time it's absolutely the right play. We split the alchemists, but I win vineyards 5-3.

Game 7: Young Nick 34 - 47 jonts26 Video
A wacky game. I go for some scrying pool aided bridge/nobles mega turn. He tries something closer to big money. I fall behind 4-0 in the provinces but connect with my megaturn just in time. I'm pretty sure I played this somewhat poorly and know for a fact I could have been a turn or two quicker. But I guess I was quick enough.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 01:38:00 am by jonts26 »

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 11:41:07 pm »
+1

Without watching the videos, I will offer my commentary on this bizarre (or should I say Bazaar, hehe) series. Besides Vineyards and Apothecary, this series didn't have much of an Alchemy feel. Games were dominated by cards that I usually want to ignore, like Coppersmith, Thief, Wharf, Nobles, Cache, and Counting House. (Just kidding about one of those...)

Game 1 we had similar strategies. I was surprised to get such a comfortable win.

Game 2 was most exciting and I probably didn't deserve to win, especially after losing the Duchy split 5-3. I still am confused. Cutpurse or Milita? Apothecary or University? Vineyards or Province (yeah, that happened to me)?

Game 3 I just got destroyed. We both had similar strategies, but he correctly chose to get early Wharves for later Apothecaries while I went in the opposite order. As a result, I lacked the +buy I needed and struggles to pick up engine components.

Game 4 I expected to win. I took the penultimate Colony figuring his deck was relatively weak, when in actuality he had 4 (!) Platinums. I was disappointed with this one. 4 cards, three of them often used, made Copper relavent.

Game 5 was funny because of how both of us just ignored Familiar. It's not too hard when we each open 5-2 with no 2's. I quickly calculated my odds of 3+P opening P/- or P/Copper and realized it wasn't the move. With an extremely close game featuring Trader, I was hoping to break PPR for the win. I knew my deck was good enough, but as was the theme with the series, I managed to underestimate my opposition's deck. A demoralizing defeat.

At this point, I was fairly upset. Having won the first two games over the fourth best on Isotropic, I was feeling on top of my game. Nothing sends you back to reality like 3 straight losses. I wouldn't be surprised if my frustrations affected my play.

In Game 6, I might have been able to squeeze a 4-4 Vineyard split, but in reality, I was not going to win this game. His engine was simply better than mine, top to bottom.

Game 7 was devastating. I was up 4-0 on Provinces, feeling pretty confident having discarded his Oracle, Apothecary, and Potion via my first 3 Oracle plays. However, he transitioned to a Scrying Pool and Apothecary deck that allowed him to draw most of it every turn. I saw the monster slowly emerging, begging Lady Luck to grant me $8 1 or maybe 2 times before the mega-turn hit, but she coolly denied my pleas. I had dreamt of an Apothecary deck that played a Bridge to grab a Province and parts every turn, but possibly greened too early. I'm not sure what exactly was going on here. It was a strange game, for sure.

A great series all the way through, and Copper, rather than Potion, was the star! Thanks Jonts!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 20 queries.