Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: More Thoughts...  (Read 917 times)

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
More Thoughts...
« on: April 14, 2012, 03:27:24 pm »

First off, much respect for my opponent. I know how much time and effort it takes to get into the 40's in level. As I commented at the start of the match, I was having a good day (7-1-0) up to that point, and the last thing I wanted to do was play a level 44. :)

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/14/game-20120414-120624-31305b8f.html

I wanted to go with a straight 2 Merchant Ship strategy, but with his opening of 5/2 to my 4/3 I thought I was doomed right out of the gates. Still, I played with a very fast game in mind, thinking that if I got lucky, and we split the Provinces, my opening of Monument could make the difference.

Everything went pretty straight forward. We ended up with almost identical decks. Ben had a Crossroads (thanks to his 2 coin opening), and a caravan that I didn't have. He also had one more gold, and a few less silvers (maybe those made the difference?)

We both started greening at the same time (technically he was a turn ahead, from second position), and went 2x Province. He picked up his first Duchy over me on turn 13, but I was able to come back and answer with a third straight Province. We both followed up with a Duchy each, and he finished out turn 15 with his third Province, leaving him 1 Duchy up on me overall, and into a full on Duchy dance.

Turn 16 saw us both gain another Duchy, leaving just 3 in the pile. However, I knew that:
A) I was 2 points ahead in VP tokens
B) I had just reshuffled, meaning all 3 terminals were in my deck
C) He hadn't reshuffled since playing a Merchant Ship, AND his Monument

Given my strong draw on turn 17 then, which included a Merchant ship and 8 coins, I decided to risk breaking PPR and gamble for a straight win. I couldn't know that he had drawn a terrible hand obviously, but I thought my deck was set up at that time as good as it ever was gonna get. In the end, I bought my 4th Province turn 17, and my 5th on turn 18 to take a solid victory.

I recognize that, had Ben had 8 coins in hand, and bought that last Province, I would have lost by 1. I still would have been very happy with the overall game though. Perhaps, had I thought about it a little further, I should have realized that I was more likely to snag 2 of the last 3 Duchy's evening us out, and leaving me in the lead on straight VP tokens, with only Estates left (nothing he was likely to catch up on at that point). However, had I done so, and a reverse flip happened where he got two good draws and I was stuck floundering trying to find 8 coins, he very well could have ended on Provinces over me instead.

So, did I make the right decision at the time? It was, I think, a very well played game on both sides. I don't feel that I was overly lucky, although maybe I was. Who ever feels they actually are? So, any thoughts, comments, or ideas anybody here has, I'd love to hear them.

Cheers

Edit:
Quick question, and maybe there is no easy answer. We both had Merchant Ship and Monument collide in our hands twice. I played my Monument, thinking that giving up 2 coins next turn (and I especially believed this early, before greening began, turns 8 and turns 9 for me) was worth gaining 1 VP. Since I thought the game would be close, this seemed right. Ben played his Merchant Ship both times, turns 4 and 10. Given his level of experience, was I wrong?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 03:53:03 pm by Galzria »
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
Re: More Thoughts...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 08:46:26 pm »
+1

Monument/Big Money is very very strong. I suspect with 5/2 the right open is Merchant Ship, and I'm not quite sold on the crossroads. But I would actually prefer to open 4/3 on this board. Monument/Silver just feels like a stronger play. Intermediate play is right about when you learn PPR. But knowing when to break PPR is much more nuanced and advanced. I think the reasoning you laid out shows a good understanding of when breaking PPR can be worth it. Being aware of both your deck and your opponents is strong play. And skimming the log I'd say you played this well.

As for your edit, I'm on the side of Merchant Ship is likely the right play. If that $2 coins next turn bumps you up from estate to duchy or duchy to province, you've made up more than the 1 point from monument.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.