Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 8 provinces in 21 turns with mountebank and jack  (Read 1187 times)

Jfrisch

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
8 provinces in 21 turns with mountebank and jack
« on: April 14, 2012, 12:26:10 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/13/game-20120413-211658-099b3202.html
So I just lost a colony game with mountebank against a province rush. I would have thought mountebank is a sufficient counter to stop a province rush from being viable but I got crushed with my opponent getting 8(!) provinces in 21 turns. Is there something deep going on here?  Does jack so utterly fight single mountebank (aided by a single counting house and upgrade) that it is necessary to ignore colonies on this board? (my opponent claimed that farmland acted as an accelerant but this doesn't make much sense to me because whenever he got a farmland he could have bought a gold which should lead to more province buying power than farmland (which, in essence, acts like a silver).

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
Re: 8 provinces in 21 turns with mountebank and jack
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 01:30:35 am »

I think rushing provinces with jack is probably stronger when an attack like mountebank on the board. Yeah, you'll slow down the jack player somewhat, but not as much as the colony player will get hit. And he didn't ignore mountebank himself so its not like this is an example of jack vs mountebank, but more like Jack and Mountebank going for colonies vs going for provinces.

I think jack solo should get 8 provinces in about 20-22 turns. With the slowdown from mountebank it's likely he got a bit lucky, but maybe not so much. Also I don't like his counting house buy at all. And you're right about the farmlands. It's not an accelerator. Every time you farmland a farmland, you could have bought a province had the farmland been a Gold. It just gives a few bonus points.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.