Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Was the key here the second Amb?  (Read 1216 times)

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
Was the key here the second Amb?
« on: April 13, 2012, 02:22:15 pm »

I played a game not too long ago, that my opponent resigned from after it seemed he wouldn't be able to come back:

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120411-153714-b383db5a.html

Granted, I wasn't working some magically quick deck, but I didn't think (at the time), that I was THAT far ahead. In truth, at the outset, I had serious consideration to play almost the exact engine he went for (Worker's Village + University for Actions, Vault for +draw and discard, and Watchtower to bring the handsize back up). I decided at the last second though, that I wanted to try and keep it a little bit simpler. I opted instead for a Peddler rush (I know, usually not as strong on a Colony board), hence the unusual, and often bad, worker's village buy at the outset.

Actually, my theory behind it was: A) I wanted them for Cantrip +buy, and B) opening Amb/Amb might slow my economy down too much - Amb/*nothing* would give me a little bit of breathing room. I hadn't been planning on grabbing a second Ambassador at first, however with 3 coppers on turn 3, and knowing I could get a Silver turn 4, I decided to gamble.

However, now I'm not sure it was such a gamble.

Thoughts? Did I get lucky? Play well? What do you think?
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Re: Was the key here the second Amb?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 02:32:20 pm »

Answering your question.  Absolutely Yes!  In fact, I would probably open Ambassador/Ambassador.  With Hamlet as a $2 village, the chance to get 2 Ambassador plays and purchase the Hamlet before your second reshuffle is worth the risk of a collision.  Hamlet gives a +buy and also combos well with Watchtower.  But otherwise, I would have rushed the Peddlers like you did.

To expand on opening double Ambassador.  You don't need an economy in this set.  By spamming cantrips, you can get Peddlers to $0 and purchase them with your extra buys.  By buying cantrips instead of silver, you should be able to rush the Peddlers a bit faster as well.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 02:33:43 pm »

Well, without looking to closely at the logs, your first couple buys seem solid. Ambassador/Worker's Village with a quick second Ambassador and a goal of grabbing Peddlers looks smart to me. His university buy wasn't totally wrong--and University is a lot of fun with Watchtower--but yeah, probably not that great when you are just going to get all the Peddlers, and he doesn't have super strong options at the $5 level (no Torturer or Laboratory, just Vault, which isn't exactly University's best friend, or Colony's best friend).
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 02:34:55 pm »

Oh, yeah. Like shark_bait said, Amb/Amb with a quick Hamlet might have been better. But your instinct was good.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 20 queries.