Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Highway/Bridge/Princess and Upgrade/Remodel/Expand  (Read 1941 times)

FireCat

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Highway/Bridge/Princess and Upgrade/Remodel/Expand
« on: April 13, 2012, 03:12:12 am »

Is there a general rule for what happens when you play a "Remodel" type card when another card (like Highway) has decreased the costs?

Can I play a Highway and Upgrade an Estate (original cost 2, current cost 1) to a JoaT (current cost 3)?

Or, if I can't do that, can I play 7 Highways, then Upgrade my Copper to a Province since Copper now costs 0 and Province now costs 1? That is, can I take advantage of the fact that costs can't be negative?

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: Highway/Bridge/Princess and Upgrade/Remodel/Expand
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 03:31:35 am »
+1

After you play the highway, the costs of ALL cards have changed; remodel type cards use the new cost, always.

Can I play a Highway and Upgrade an Estate (original cost 2, current cost 1) to a JoaT (current cost 3)?

No. If you play a highway, the Estate now costs 1, and the JoaT now costs 3. You can only Upgrade your Estate into something that costs 1 more than it; so, you would have to gain something that now costs 2. (Like silver).

However, you are correct that things can never cost less than zero, so Coppers are always worth 0. So...

Or, if I can't do that, can I play 7 Highways, then Upgrade my Copper to a Province since Copper now costs 0 and Province now costs 1? That is, can I take advantage of the fact that costs can't be negative?

Yes, you can do that.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Re: Highway/Bridge/Princess and Upgrade/Remodel/Expand
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 04:44:05 am »

This may confuse you, but you may run into this corner case so I'll just say it anyway: Quarry lowers prices for action cards only and you can put it in play and play more actions (like Upgrade) later because of the Black Market card which gives you an extra, intermittent buy phase.

So if you play: Village, Black Market (put Quarry in play, don't buy anything out of the Black Market deck), Upgrade, you can Upgrade an Estate (still costing $2, Quarry has no effect on it) to a Market (now costing $3 due to Quarry).

This is a very rare case though.

Another tip: For every Highway in play, costs (for every card) are lowered by $1. This means that if you Throne Room or King's Court a Highway, it will still only lower the costs by $1, not $2 or $3. The same goes for Princess. Bridge is different and if you King's Court a Bridge, you actually lower all costs by 3 * $1 = $3.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.