Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Dominion with all cards available  (Read 14770 times)

Diving Pikachu

• Navigator
  • ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion with all cards available
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 10:19:17 pm »

Perhaps there should be a rule that, once 10 different kingdom piles have been gained from (minus Young Witch), all other kingdom cards are out of the game. That way the 3-pile finish is still doable.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +275
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2012, 11:25:08 pm »

Also, the comment on 15 cards instead of 10 has me thinking...Might this actually be a useful exercise in building up one's ability to survey the Kingdom and determine the best strategy possible? I would love to see this as a feature in Isotropic in my dream world.

It doesn't just reduce the luck involved but actually changes the strategy 'round a lot too. Having said that, I don't really know that 10 is the optimal number for making gameplay funnest - there's some consideration to the cost of producing the actual cards.

I would doubt 10 to be optimal, it was just convenient in terms of being a nice round number, cost of production, and gameplay. However, considering us, the geeks of Dominion, probably don't care about how nice the number 10 is and most of us own all cards printed to date (except for some Promos - damn you Walled Village, Governor), I figure we could try IRL games with maybe 12 or 13 cards to see what number makes for the best gameplay. It certainly would make a 10 card Kingdom feel confined, but also would make it simpler and easier to analyze. I know I will try it out, for one.

gamesou

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +337
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 03:34:12 am »

It'd probably boil down whether or not it could beat KC/Goons/Masq.  Perhaps the question is more interesting if you got rid of Goons or Masq?

One should consider the baby version of the pin, TR/TR/Militia/Masquerade. This is much much faster to set up that the usual pin (open Chapel/Ironworks).
Designer of Chronos Conquest

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 07:10:29 am »
+2

NO strategy based purely on attack is going to work. (TR/KC/TR/KC-Militia/Goons-Masq)

NO strategy that isn't able to play strong attack counters (almost?) every turn (lighthouse, moat) won't work. (mostly mentioned 3 pile enders)

Strategy must have a huge draw. Mostly for gain card-draw card in same turn, being able to play critical cards every turn (lighthouse, outpost).

I would say quarry-fishing village is very very strong opening.
Possible further buys include: another quarry, workers village (prefer over fishing village, because of somewhat better draw and critical +1 buy), wharfs (or council room?), KC,TR (no comment), forge, outpost. That's how huge draw gets built fast. For defense vs. attacks - lighthouse.

In end phase bridge for mega turn or goons/watchtower for ''some'' VPs.

When a friend of mine sees a girl he finds attractive, he remarks how he'd like to "Throne Room" or "King's Court" her.
- Axe Knight

''Especially regarding such an iconic (and somewhat infamous) name that is known as ARTjoMS.'' - shark_bait is boosting my ego.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, 01:00:22 pm »

NO strategy based purely on attack is going to work. (TR/KC/TR/KC-Militia/Goons-Masq)

NO strategy that isn't able to play strong attack counters (almost?) every turn (lighthouse, moat) won't work. (mostly mentioned 3 pile enders)

Strategy must have a huge draw. Mostly for gain card-draw card in same turn, being able to play critical cards every turn (lighthouse, outpost).

I would say quarry-fishing village is very very strong opening.
Possible further buys include: another quarry, workers village (prefer over fishing village, because of somewhat better draw and critical +1 buy), wharfs (or council room?), KC,TR (no comment), forge, outpost. That's how huge draw gets built fast. For defense vs. attacks - lighthouse.

In end phase bridge for mega turn or goons/watchtower for ''some'' VPs.

Adding to this, I doubt that there is a single strategy that can be considered optimal from the outset.  With all cards available, every strategy is available, including every counter to those strategies.  The winner will be the player who can think two steps ahead of the others and building to counter their strategies while avoiding being countered himself (or herself).  Good luck would also be helpful!

bozzball

• Bishop
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2012, 03:37:42 am »
+3

Black Market would probably be unpopular.

bozzball

• Bishop
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2012, 03:38:05 am »

(apart from playing Coins in Action phase shenanigans)

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2012, 08:58:20 am »

It would be even more fun if you would play with all cards, but just one copy of each of them, like a giant Black Market.
A lot of cards don't make sense anymore (Treasure Map), but it would be fun to see what people go for.
How would you play Talisman?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2012, 09:04:48 am »

It would be even more fun if you would play with all cards, but just one copy of each of them, like a giant Black Market.
A lot of cards don't make sense anymore (Treasure Map), but it would be fun to see what people go for.
How would you play Talisman?

I would assume there's not just 1 of each Treasure card; so Talisman would still be good for picking up lots of Silver.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Avin

• Spy
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2012, 02:17:02 pm »

Band of Misfits would be pretty strong here.

jamuspsi

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2012, 09:16:28 pm »

Band of Misfits would be pretty strong here.

Especially since it can only copy things that haven't run out in the supply.  So maybe a more interesting variant would be, you start out with 5 bands of misfits and nothing else, with one of every card in the supply.  That way there's not a swingy rush on them.  Both players get to figure out how to play it, but buying a card would lock it out from the other player- but also lock yourself to only playing the one copy, and diluting your super-flexible deck.

I'd probably start with.. ironworks, ironworks (gaining bridge and throne room), fishing villiage, nomad camp, smithy (drawing bridge and throne room), throne room bridge.  With 5 money, 3 buys, 2 less cost, I'd buy king's court.

Or... (bom)Ironworks bridge
(bom) worker's villiage drawing bridge
(bom) throne room the bridge
(bom) throne room a (bom) ironworks

Screw it, here's your puzzle.  Can you gain and play a king's court with something useful on the first turn of this game?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2012, 09:40:05 pm »
+1

Screw it, here's your puzzle.  Can you gain and play a king's court with something useful on the first turn of this game?

Not sure if I made any mistakes here, since I am playing with new cards and using a contentious ruling re: Procession-BoM.

Starting with 5 BoM in hand, nothing else in deck...

bom-Crossroads
bom-Procession on bom-Bridge, lowering costs by $2 and "upgrading" bom into BV, gaining a Bridge.  (Alternatively, gain another $6 you want, like Goons, or gain BV and gain something <$6 that you want other than Bridge.)
bom-Feast to gain KC

At this point you have one BoM left in hand.  In discard you have KC and card(s) gained from Procession.

BoM Wishing Well, drawing one card and guessing correctly.

If you do NOT want perfect shuffle luck, then you should not do BV->Bridge or anything else from Procession.  Just get Goons and you'll know exactly what to wish for between KC and Goons, because there will only be one card left.

But assuming that you DID get a real copy of Bridge and you managed to get both KC and Bridge in hand:

KC-Bridge

Now you have played Bridge 5 times this turn.  Have fun.

I hope I didn't make any embarassing mistakes, because I tend to do that.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2012, 09:41:01 pm »

Would you always take Chapel? Always take Mountebank?
Assuming no 3-pile rule anymore I would say 1st turn advantage. with 3-pile rule probably 3rd person advantage or in 2player still first person advantage.
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.