Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Cache use?  (Read 9295 times)

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Cache use?
« on: April 11, 2012, 11:02:58 am »

What kind of decks benefit from Cache? Obviously decks that can handle the extra Coppers (e.g., Apothecary, Trader, Watchtower) are going to do just fine, and decks where Copper is a benefit (e.g., Gardens, Dukes) are no-brainers to pick up Cache. In the absence of those cards, though, what makes Cache viable? Is strong deck cycling/sifting like Warehouse enough? Stables? Other scenarios?

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
Re: Cache use?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 11:12:03 am »

absence of everything is enough.

BM-Cache beats BM

edit: That's also true for BM-Smithy, and I would guess for most drawers.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:18:12 am by DStu »

Papa Luigi

• Scout
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 11:15:07 am »

I think you pretty much covered it. It fills a role similar to Contraband, a cheaper $3 treasure that only costs $5 to buy, balanced by some disadvantage. Of course it's much easier to get $5 than it is to get $6 so the cost savings is a major point in its favor.

I suppose it could also find a niche if your opponent is buying/playing Noble Brigand a lot, since Cache is immune to it (unlike Gold). Unfortunately, the wording of the card makes you gain the coppers whenever you GAIN it, not just when you buy it, so no skirting around it using Remodel or something.

DStu - That's interesting... I'd think that without a way to trash the extra coppers, it would be worse than buying silver since you're getting an average of $1.67 per card ($5 / 3 cards). Same argument I've heard for Hoard not being very good (1 Gold + 1 useless green card = $1.50 per card). But I suppose it also increases variance.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:19:30 am by Papa Luigi »

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 11:18:53 am »
+2

I like it in tough games, like Sea Hag games, where you can't really get to $6 and the Coppers aren't that bad.  I also like it as an early pickup with Spice Merchant.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 11:29:25 am »
+1

DStu - That's interesting... I'd think that without a way to trash the extra coppers, it would be worse than buying silver since you're getting an average of $1.67 per card ($5 / 3 cards). Same argument I've heard for Hoard not being very good (1 Gold + 1 useless green card = $1.50 per card). But I suppose it also increases variance.

I don't want to look it up, but we had this discusson in some topic some months ago. Think it was about variance and Cache was an heavy example.
The point is, 1.67 is (a little) more than you need on average you need for a Province. And even more than the average/card you usually get to in optimized BigMoney, which is about $7/hand or $1.4 per card.
Silver gets you 1 card with average $2, but Cache gives you 3 cards with average $1.66. Both are about the average, but you add more cards with Cache. You add $5 to your deck in total with Cache, but only $2 with Silver.

Additionally, there is variance, which usually is a good thing, especially if your average money is below $1.6. Cache gives you a $3, and with a little bit of the rest of the hand adds to a Province, if not at least a Gold. Silver gives you a $2, from there it's harder to get up to $8, even to $6.

AND Copper is not that bad of a card for BigMoney, at some point you want to green, the more cards you have the less the green influences your deck.

And finally, Cache it not magic, it's like 55:45 for BM-Margrave (randomly opened in the background at the moment), and maybe 60:40 for others (don't know), so it's not a killer, but it's a slight improvement.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 11:31:17 am »

With trader in hand, it's basically better than gold, because you get two free silvers with it. It's quite good for alternate VP, apothecary, (coppersmith?) and other copper-friendly strats.

Kore

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 12:35:19 pm »

It's not a bad combination with a trimmed stables deck. Nothing worse than having to discard a silver or gold to your stables to keep the combo going and having a few extra coppers won't hurt you when you can reversibly draw most of your deck.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 01:00:34 pm »
+3

I think people generally overrate how bad Copper is for money decks. It's really not that bad. It's obviously terrible in engines where you're trying to draw multiple different cards together, but with money, it's meh. You don't want to buy it, but you don't want to go out of your way to trash it, and you don't care that much if you have to take it. Getting Gold (or the Cache card) is much more important, since hands with Gold almost always can buy a Gold or Province.

An example of how unimportant copper trashing is is that while Moneylender+money beats pure money, it hardly beats anything else. There's no optimized Moneylender bot in the simulator, but the optimal play can't be that far off from the computer-generated bot, which loses (pretty badly) to basically any other cheap terminal+money, including cards generally looked down upon, like Chancellor, Navigator, Fortune Teller, and Moat.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 01:46:05 pm »

I think people generally overrate how bad Copper is for money decks. It's really not that bad.

When gaining a copper is worse than gaining nothing, you just don't want it. With the cache the benefit of the 3 coins from the card itself does indeed compensate for adding copper do your deck. Buy the cache when you're happy to expand your deck and avoid the cache when you're trying to contract the deck.

randomdragoon

• Salvager
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 12:29:55 pm »

Try opening Cache/?? on a 5/2 split with no other strong strategy that pops out at you. It's much stronger than you might think. (And you don't have to worry about the ?? being a terminal, either. Use pawn's +1 card/+$1 without fear!)

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +597
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 12:38:35 pm »

Try opening Cache/?? on a 5/2 split with no other strong strategy that pops out at you. It's much stronger than you might think. (And you don't have to worry about the ?? being a terminal, either. Use pawn's +1 card/+$1 without fear!)

Duchess, of all things, might be the strongest $2 here. 

In fact, the presence of Duchess may make Cache more attractive overall, as she helps reduce deck-clog when you're leveraging all those Coppers into Duchy buys.

Hks

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: HyenHks
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 01:24:54 pm »

It's useful in games with cache, salvager/spice merchant and no other +buys or gainers. Buy a cache, next turn trash them with salvager/spice merchant and you have 4 buys.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 01:31:10 pm by Hks »

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 01:31:53 pm »

It's useful in games with cache, salvager/spice merchant and no other +buys/gainers. Buy a cache, next turn trash them with salvager/spice merchant and you got 4 buys. Works with Border Village too.

What do you mean? Trash what next turn, the cards you just bought? How, when they probably aren't in that hand? And why do you have 4 buys?

Hks

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 01:40:31 pm »

It's useful in games with cache, salvager/spice merchant and no other +buys/gainers. Buy a cache, next turn trash them with salvager/spice merchant and you got 4 buys. Works with Border Village too.

What do you mean? Trash what next turn, the cards you just bought? How, when they probably aren't in that hand? And why do you have 4 buys?
Well, for example in games with king's court, where you can draw the whole deck. You have nothing to trash with the salvager/spice merchant, but they are the only sources for +buy. Instead of buying a province every turn, buy a cache, next turn trash cache and the two coppers, buy three provinces and another cache.

Papa Luigi

• Scout
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 02:10:29 pm »

Well, for example in games with king's court, where you can draw the whole deck. You have nothing to trash with the salvager/spice merchant, but they are the only sources for +buy. Instead of buying a province every turn, buy a cache, next turn trash cache and the two coppers, buy three provinces and another cache.
That seems like a pretty specific case. So Cache is good when the kingdom also includes King's Court, engine cards, and Salvager/Spice Merchant as the only source of +buy?

Hks

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 02:22:30 pm »

That seems like a pretty specific case. So Cache is good when the kingdom also includes King's Court, engine cards, and Salvager/Spice Merchant as the only source of +buy?
Ok, ok, maybe it was an too unusual case to be mentioned. It doesn't require king's court, that was just an example.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 02:31:01 pm »
+1

I've had some success with cache when you miss $6 for gold in BM-Vault games. A bit of bloat doesn't really matter and you just need to connect your vault with gold/cache for province.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 02:38:00 pm »

How about Cache with Philosopher's Stone?
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 02:49:54 pm »

I've had some success with cache when you miss $6 for gold in BM-Vault games. A bit of bloat doesn't really matter and you just need to connect your vault with gold/cache for province.
While Cache is generally better than Silver in BM games, the problem with the Vault situation is that you could also just buy another Vault with $5, so I'm not sure Cache gains you much, if anything. It probably becomes preferable after the third Vault which is a bit late to make a noticeable difference.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 03:03:07 pm »

While Cache is generally better than Silver in BM games, the problem with the Vault situation is that you could also just buy another Vault with $5, so I'm not sure Cache gains you much, if anything. It probably becomes preferable after the third Vault which is a bit late to make a noticeable difference.

In the game where cache/vault worked nicely, I actually did buy the cache after three vaults, but an earlier witch battle was slowing us down and making it a little tough to hit 6, even with vaults. After the cache buy, I had three province turns in a row, matching up my three vaults with my two golds and a cache (it also let me buy a province later) and the rest of the game I was greening with either duchies or fairgrounds. Maybe a bit situational, but it was a good buy for me there.

paddyodoors

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 03:34:28 pm »

... but an earlier witch battle was slowing us down and making it a little tough to hit 6, even with vaults. ...

Not sure what this means.  Aren't you guaranteed 6 every time a vault is in your starting hand for the turn?

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +597
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 03:39:00 pm »

In the game where cache/vault worked nicely, I actually did buy the cache after three vaults, but an earlier witch battle was slowing us down and making it a little tough to hit 6, even with vaults. After the cache buy, I had three province turns in a row, matching up my three vaults with my two golds and a cache (it also let me buy a province later) and the rest of the game I was greening with either duchies or fairgrounds. Maybe a bit situational, but it was a good buy for me there.

Sounds like the lesson there is to try to keep your Vaults and Golds in parity, and if you've more Vaults than Golds but are looking at a $5 hand, maintaining that parity (via buying Cache) is more of a benefit than those two extra Coppers are a detriment. 

It also sounds like the average treasure density in your deck may have been less than $1 (thanks to the Curses and green), in which case the Coppers themselves were overall an improvement.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 03:57:49 pm »
+5

I dislike this thread. Every time I see the title of this thread, I start getting hungry.
A man has no signature

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 04:43:24 pm »

I dislike this thread. Every time I see the title of this thread, I start getting hungry.

I stared dumbly at this comment for like a minute wondering to myself what cache has to do with food before it dawned on me. Nice.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2012, 04:58:28 pm »
+1

... but an earlier witch battle was slowing us down and making it a little tough to hit 6, even with vaults. ...

Not sure what this means.  Aren't you guaranteed 6 every time a vault is in your starting hand for the turn?

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120411-140700-b31a88f6.html

Here's the game. Don't ask me why my opponent was going for hunting parties and ironworks. I was able to get just one gold before my first vault. Used another vault to get gold but I'm pretty sure I had some collisions in there that kept me from using vault too much. The point is that I hit five more than six...I had three vaults but only two golds. On a turn when I hit just 5 and had no vault, I thought cache might give me that ideal (in my mind) number of three "golds" and three vaults to let me put them together for provinces. I probably had a little luck in my draws after this but it worked out, and I got three provinces in as many consecutive turns. I think buying cache was a lot better than just going silver or another vault, because then one of my province-buying vaults would have been used buying another gold instead.

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 21 queries.