Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Cache use?  (Read 9296 times)

paddyodoors

Re: Cache use?
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 06:05:19 pm »

I dislike this thread. Every time I see the title of this thread, I start getting hungry.

I stared dumbly at this comment for like a minute wondering to myself what cache has to do with food before it dawned on me. Nice.

And I didn't get it until you just said that right there...

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 06:28:50 pm »

Obvious one, but nobody's mentioned Watchtower. Don't want those coppers? Trash 'em.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2012, 06:54:23 pm »

Watchtower is actually pretty niche though. To get any benefit from Watchtower+Cache, you need to hit exactly $5 with Watchtower in hand ($6 could have just got a Gold for essentially the same effect). It might happen once every so often, but certainly isn't something to build your deck around. Especially if that Watchtower would have been better as a silver (hit $5+Watchtower, would have been $7 with a Silver - you don't top-deck the Gold but otherwise, the same).
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 07:06:48 pm »
+1

I dislike this thread. Every time I see the title of this thread, I start getting hungry.

You're nuts.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 07:22:34 pm »

Watchtower is actually pretty niche though. To get any benefit from Watchtower+Cache, you need to hit exactly $5 with Watchtower in hand ($6 could have just got a Gold for essentially the same effect). It might happen once every so often, but certainly isn't something to build your deck around. Especially if that Watchtower would have been better as a silver (hit $5+Watchtower, would have been $7 with a Silver - you don't top-deck the Gold but otherwise, the same).

But there are lots of other reasons to have a Watchtower, i.e. if there are Cursers out, for the top-decking. And Cache is superior to Gold vs. Noble Brigand. Or if Feast is out, it can grab a Cache with Watchtower in hand but not a Gold ... OK, so they're all pretty niche.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2012, 04:14:09 pm »

There are a few other places where cache works:
1. It can help set up a Hunting Party deck - silver, cache, copper, and a terminal silver works almost as well as gold; in slow games (e.g. militia) it can be better to get to an 8 coin combo sooner than buy another HP and wait to get your gold.
2. It can work okay with counting house. One that works surprisingly well is cache/counting house in a colony game. You can buy counting houses at the end of the shuffle, particularly cards that will miss the shuffle (like a typical turn 5 purchase) and caches early in the shuffle. This provides more juice for the counting house and a gold to work with as well. It still gets beat hard by a lot of other options, but can get better with any sort of sifting (discarding coppers for benefit becomes much more powerful).
3. Draw/bank also works well with cache. Something like margrave or council room doesn't mind the bloat and having more treasures helps the bank a good bit.
4. Strong trashing. Say you open cache/chapel. The cache requires that you burn another turn or two on trashing, but increases your buying power very quickly (particularly if you have a second shuffle collision of your buys) and decrease the odds of having a sub-silver turn. Likewise, if you build a strong draw engine (e.g. border village/embassy), you can often chapel away the coppers in one go.
5. Cache is good starter food a pricey golem deck. Normally you want to buy your actions at 5 in a golem deck, but if your actions are above the 6 coin price point (e.g. goons/BV/expand/forge), or you are going to run into colliding terminals (too many council rooms early is not that great) then cache can help boot strap up to the expensive stuff. Cache works especially well with golem/sifters.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2012, 01:09:02 pm »

I bought Cache the other day when my opponent was playing multiple Margraves per turn. When you only have a 3-card hand, Silver just doesn't cut it. The Cache allowed me to buy Provinces with only 3 cards.

I'd guess this would work against any discard attacks; though it's better against Margrave because the extra draw increases the chances that you leave yourself with 3 useable cards.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 20 queries.