Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 1 - Fewest turns  (Read 5288 times)

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
1 - Fewest turns
« on: April 10, 2012, 04:22:37 pm »

Hi!

Now with the new subforum available, I think of doing one or maybe more challenges in Ozle's spirit.
I don't want to copy his great idea completely, so let's make things a bit different: Your creativity is not only asked when coming up with the best strategy on a given board, but to create the kingdom yourself!

So without further ado:

Challenge 1 - End a solo game in the fewest number of turns. Ending is not resigning on any turn.

One entry (as a personal message) only per person, deadline Saturday, GMT+1 9:00 a.m. (a bit more time at first, afterwards maybe shorter periods.)
I don't know yet if I will do it similar with points and maybe bonus points and a ranking. Probably, if I have enough ideas for other challenges.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:14:33 am by def »

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: 1 - Fewest turns
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 04:47:11 pm »

Sent one in.  Shuffle luck is frustrating!

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 04:52:36 pm »

Sent one in.  Shuffle luck is frustrating!

Yeah, I gave up with trying to submit puzzle #1 solution after not being able to draw IW and Chancellor together turn three, let alone with three coppers. Tried for at least half an hour.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 05:40:46 pm by Thisisnotasmile »

def

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 05:37:43 pm »
+1

Didn't expect submits this early. :)
I knew that one funny guy (not theory though!) would come up with it, so: ending the game is not resigning on turn 1.
Since Puzzle 1 solution is widely known (and it's one thing I intended and hoped for), it's ok if we talk about it, but for other strategies, please don't post them. :)
I don't believe it's probable that anyone will come up with this 5 turn solution, unless I change the deadline to some day in 2013...

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 05:44:07 pm »
+1

"in Ozle's spirit."

Hang on, im not dead!

At least I didnt think so.....wait, if this is the afterlife its a bit dull, and why would I be hungry?
Unless the afterlife is all about always hungering...

/philosophical

And im not surprised you got entries this early! I always got one less than an hour after posting!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 06:55:07 pm »
+1

At least I didnt think so.....wait, if this is the afterlife its a bit dull, and why would I be hungry?
Unless the afterlife is all about always hungering...

It's not so much an afterlife, more a sort of aprés vie.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 12:56:55 am »
+4

I knew that one funny guy (not theory though!) would come up with it, so: ending the game is not resigning on turn 1.

You're still not precise enough
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/10/game-20120410-215632-2ee2b926.html

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 02:17:30 am »
+4

You're still not precise enough
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/10/game-20120410-215632-2ee2b926.html

Your use of Throne Room is genius. I never would have thought of that!

def

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 08:06:24 am »

One day to go.

Only a couple of entries so far. I hope there are more to come until tomorrow.

def

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 04:22:30 am »

Wow, I already thought I lost all my messages but one, since only one appeared in the mailbox. Turned out it was because my inbox got to level 2, page 2 I mean, which means I got quite a few more messages. Some of you were afraid that their effort wouldn't be enough to win, and while that holds true, it's not like they were far from it.

3rd place goes to theory, who sent me his attempt within 30 minutes after I posted the challenge. He went for Haven/Talisman/Ironworks in 11 turns.

2nd place is tied by pretty much everyone else. GendoIkari, Powerman and Schneau all went for an Chapel/Ironworks opening followed by more Ironworks, Great Halls and Islands. Still, there are minor differences in the ways to accomplish it.
ftl also got 9 turns, but took a totally different approach. He used all 10 kingdom cards, already having 5 different cards by turn 5.

And the winner is ... jonts26, who went for the KC-Bridge megaturn, helped by Chapel and Governor.

I'll go with a 4-2-1 awarding of score, with bonus points as I please. :P Since ftl gets one for, let's call it stylishness, the ranking is at follows:

jonts26 4
ftl 3
GendoIkari, Powerman, Schneau 2
theory 1

This means that the first round is closed, but the challenge is still open to everyone! If you come up with something better than 8 turns and/or manage to get something like puzzle 1 solution, please send me a message.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 05:14:06 am »

And the winner is ... jonts26, who went for the KC-Bridge megaturn, helped by Chapel and Governor.

That's quite impressive. I wonder how many tries were needed for it.

def

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 05:34:53 am »

Don't know, but he said that 8 turns were the best he could do, which probably means he tried it quite a few times.
Yeah, something with KC, Governor, Bridge seemed natural, but I especially like the use of Governor not for card-drawing only, but for gaining a Gold mid-turn which he immediately used for the first KC, and trashing Chapel into Bridge mid-turn, too. So all three options of Governor were used effectively.

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 06:57:17 am »

Ach, I figured that KC-Bridge would be faster, but I forgot that Governor with no opponent to help is better than Laboratory  >:(
A man on a mission.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 07:13:22 am »

I should have entered my 8 turn game that I'd posted on another thread a week ago :)http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/29/game-20120329-113844-58d359ea.html

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 10:10:50 am »

That's quite impressive. I wonder how many tries were needed for it.

Well I tried a bunch of other strategies before I settled on that specific one. I got 8 turns twice actually, before deciding I wasn't going to do better. But really most of my time was spent restarting after my turn 1/2 buys didnt fall just right.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.