Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: It's not pretty, but it's a win  (Read 2561 times)

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
It's not pretty, but it's a win
« on: June 30, 2011, 09:13:15 pm »

Just got done with the ugliest, worst game of Domion I've ever played.  The only reason I won was because my opponent was greener than the day is long. 

The board had chapel, potion, grand market, and familiar.  I, stupidly, thought "Cool, if I open potion/chapel, I can trash my estates, get my potion, and burn through the curse pile all while trimming my deck down to $6 non-coppers, and buying Grand Markets."

To pour gasoline on the wildfire of my stupidity, I chapeled my first hand - 4 coppers.  For those playing along at home and not terrible at the game, this meant I needed to do some major chappeling or get a really lucky draw.  All my opponent had to do was buy a familiar and I'd be really hosed.

Meanwhile, said opponent, bought islands and stewards, eventually getting up to grand markets, while I had two turns where I did nothing (potion, 2 copper, 2 estate - same hand, twice in a row on either side of the shuffle) and finally bought my familiar on turn 6 or 7.

I start pumping his deck full of curses, build up some silver, and go for Grand Markets.  My opponent uses steward to trash the curses, and uses his buys to get additional grand markets and islands rather than provinces (he generated $8+ a turn for several turns and didn't bother to buy one).  He buys out the grand markets, and passes the turn with 2 islands still out.  I generate $12 (the most my deck can generate), buy the islands and 2 estates.

Final score: 6-4.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 09:25:23 pm by Taco Lobster »

Superdad

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Re: It's not pretty, but it's a win
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 10:15:27 am »

Reminds me of the game (my 3rd or 4th game ever) where I opened 5/2 and thought... oh cool I'll open with mint and have a trim deck.

/trainwreck

ShuffleNCut

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 10:31:46 am »

Heh, I just played a game where I missed the fact that my opponent's first two swindlers hit BOTH my silvers and I bought a mint to bring me down to one remaining copper.  I then spent the next three turns wondering how I could fail to draw my silver three turns in a row in a seven card deck.

Whoops  ::)

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 10:32:44 am »

I'd chapel 4 coppers if given the chance, even if it left me with 3 estates, 1 potion, 3 coppers left.

You'll be able to chapel away the estates quicker this way, and a trim deck with a couple of familiars will really quickly sink an opponent who isn't also aggressively chapeling.

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 10:00:37 pm »

I'd chapel 4 coppers if given the chance, even if it left me with 3 estates, 1 potion, 3 coppers left.

Would you have opened chapel/potion on a board like this?  Just curious.  It seemed like an epic mistake, as I described above, and I don't think I would do it again.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 10:53:24 pm »

Yeah, I'd open potion/chapel and go for familiars, just as you did.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 11:22:58 pm »

I would actually consider opening silver/potion with an eye towards maximizing my chance of buying Familiar on Turn 3/4, and getting a Chapel then too.

But potion/chapel and hope you get really lucky is probably better.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 04:58:41 pm »

Interesting.  I appreciate the perspective - I thought I had made a huge mistake that only worked out because my opponent wasn't going for familiar and didn't start taking provinces soon enough.  It sounds as though the fundamental problem may have been shuffle luck - if my chapel hand had been CCCE or CCEE, things likely would've gone much, much smoother.

Superdad

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 09:49:42 am »

Indeed, this game will likely progress as follows:

Both players rush to Familiars, and try to mess over their opponents deck the fastest. Then both players try to clean up their respective decks and rush for buying power, then points. First one there wins.

I too would see this board and open Potion/Silver then Chapel when I can't buy a familiar. Then further purchase familiars to win the curse race, then money to get buying power.

I'm not sure going for grand market is going to be ideal though. It would be an interesting case to simulate. For example, after the curse war is fought, there is 1 empty pile. I think the best strategy may be to just clean up your deck, get buying power, get a few quick points and try to 3-pile the game, or province finish, depending on how your turn 8-14 (ish) draws pan out.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.