Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: jsh357 vs PAX East (Tournament Report, long-winded)  (Read 15724 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: jsh357 vs PAX East (Tournament Report, long-winded)
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 11:23:23 am »

Congratulations on your victory!  Good to see you make the best of an imperfect situation.

Left to right: Keith, me (the 25 year old who looks 15)
Wow... yeah, dude.  Grow a beard... it was the only way I could stop being mistaken for a high school student... while teaching high school... at age 26.
The funny thing about the beard... when I do start growing one, everyone tells me I actually look YOUNGER because now I look like a high school student who doesn't know how to shave properly.  On the bright side, I met a guy at PAX who was 32 and looked even young than me.  Crazy world.

If you want to look older, my wife recommends a different haircut :)

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 11:38:11 am »

I can't speak for hairstyles, but as to Kirian's suggestion to grow a beard... that's just something that not all of us can do.  I'm 32, and after 2 weeks of not shaving, I end up with something that resembles a 15 year old's 5pm shadow.

On the flip side, I will also never be able to replicate the hair plumber crack, which was on display all over the place @ PAX. 

I skipped dominion this weekend because everything conflicted with the Penny Arcade panels, but I did get to play some Robo Rally!
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 11:39:47 am »

Congratulations on your victory!  Good to see you make the best of an imperfect situation.

Left to right: Keith, me (the 25 year old who looks 15)
Wow... yeah, dude.  Grow a beard... it was the only way I could stop being mistaken for a high school student... while teaching high school... at age 26.
The funny thing about the beard... when I do start growing one, everyone tells me I actually look YOUNGER because now I look like a high school student who doesn't know how to shave properly.  On the bright side, I met a guy at PAX who was 32 and looked even young than me.  Crazy world.

Yeah, I try to change that from time to time.  My hair is very insistent on staying this way for some reason.  (Gels have almost no effect)
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

ccasin

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 12:54:39 pm »
+1

Awesome write up!  I really enjoyed all our games together.  Your prosperity win was particularly epic, considering your position and all the attack cards in play.  And you're right that we misplayed bishop (especially me!), making it too easy for you to keep your deck thin without buying one.  Great game.

I was torn about playing in the finals - I had ranked first in Puerto Rico (by crazy luck) and felt bad bumping out the woman I was tied for fourth with to get into Dominion.  I'm glad I did, though.  It was a great, friendly game with lots of fun strategy discussion.  And I definitely wouldn't have won Puerto Rico!

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 05:11:16 pm »

If you think thats bad, I got ID'd while out celebrating my 32nd Birthday at the weekend, while my 21 year old brother standing next to me didn't!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

saturn

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2012, 01:03:28 am »
+2

I am totally going to start off by admitting that I found this by googling "PAX East Dominion Tournament", haha.

Anyway, I'm the girl you played in the first game & second-to-last game of the tournament! I bumped into Chris later and he told me you'd won, so I just wanted to say congrats! I was glad to hear you'd won :)

I had a blast playing with you guys. Going into it, I was seriously worried that I would do horribly/get laughed out of the tournament/feel like some super-awkward outsider, and pretty much the exact opposite happened. Thanks much for the great games!

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2012, 01:55:19 am »
+1

I am totally going to start off by admitting that I found this by googling "PAX East Dominion Tournament", haha.

Anyway, I'm the girl you played in the first game & second-to-last game of the tournament! I bumped into Chris later and he told me you'd won, so I just wanted to say congrats! I was glad to hear you'd won :)

I had a blast playing with you guys. Going into it, I was seriously worried that I would do horribly/get laughed out of the tournament/feel like some super-awkward outsider, and pretty much the exact opposite happened. Thanks much for the great games!

Thanks, I enjoyed playing you too.

Looks like I'm contributing to DominionStrategy SEO
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 10:02:37 am »

Welcome to the forum!  Stick around, play some on isotropic!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

saturn

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2012, 12:06:35 pm »

Welcome to the forum!  Stick around, play some on isotropic!

Thanks! I actually do play on Iso, but often just with my boyfriend at work where I tend to wander away a lot, so my score is pretty abysmal... haha. :)

Ribena

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2012, 08:20:17 pm »
+2

Hey, it's 'Sunny' here. Uncloaking to say that this is an awesome recap of an awesome weekend, and that I learned a bunch from reading this thread as well as from being severely outclassed at most of the steps along the way. Thanks for being friendly, helpful and tolerant of upstarts! Now I know what to do in at least a few more situations (e.g. buy that damn Masquerade).

Didn't manage to learn much about Zombie Dice though.  :)

ccasin, there is nothing to feel bad about...that said, if you do, let's play on Isotropic so that I can gather braaaains from you in a more productive manner?

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2012, 08:24:49 pm »

You make it sound like I'm a pro or something.  :p  I'm definitely not as good as a lot of the players on this forum.  Everything I know how to do in Dominion, I learned from playing on Iso, reading posts here or watching annotated videos.

Good to get more usernames of people I've met!  Watch out!

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.