Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #182: I Choose Nothing  (Read 4722 times)

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #182: I Choose Nothing
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2023, 11:21:07 pm »
+5

A twist on Mountain Village, Sunken City has higher highs (Lost City+ if you have good cards in your discard) and lower lows (Necropolis if your discard is empty). When you draw it at the start of your turn, you can decide if you want to sink your hand beneath the sea or not (which might help activate your other Sunken Cities).

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2023, 04:09:40 am »
+3

I like this a lot but I fear that it is a bit too good. One way to nerf it would be via the mulligan / Scout effect, e.g. draw only 4.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2023, 09:25:50 am »
+2

War Hounds - $2
Action - Reaction
+2 Cards
You may discard 2 cards to choose one: +1 Card; or +1 Coffers; or +1 Villager.
----
When another player plays an Attack, you may first play this from your hand.

Guard Dog variant. Unlike Guard Dog, War Hounds does not have the raw drawing potential, but it does have flexibility with its; optional discard for effect. Made the discard ability fairly weak to justify the cost and to make it something you don't always want to use. It may be a bit strong at $2. Feedback appreciated.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2023, 04:57:29 pm »
+12

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2023, 11:27:23 am »
+3

Kings feast: A throne room where you can make it become a Kings court by giving each other player a copy of the played Action card.

NOTE: lost the original card image generator file for editing, but have edited this per suggestion: refer to text in quote. sorry for hassle

Kings feast - $5 - Action

You may play an Action card from your hand twice. You may have each other player gain a copy. If all other players got a copy, replay the Action card.

A concern of mine is that a infinite loop may be possible with this, is that the case?

edited it so the kingscourt effect only triggers if all other players got a copy of the throned card
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 04:27:17 am by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2023, 11:47:17 am »
+1

Kings feast: A throne room where you can make it become a Kings court by giving each other player a copy of the played Action card.

You may play an Action card from your hand twice. You may give each other player a copy of that card. If you did, replay the Action card.

A concern of mine is that a infinite loop may be possible with this, is that the case?

For example, in 4-player game and only 1 King's Feast is left, can I give it to my left player to King's Court mine?
How about its empty supply?

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2023, 12:25:03 pm »

You may play an Action card from your hand twice. You may give each other player a copy of that card. If you did, replay the Action card.

For example, in 4-player game and only 1 King's Feast is left, can I give it to my left player to King's Court mine?
How about its empty supply?
edited the card to clarify it
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2023, 01:28:22 am »
+1

I'm a bit late this time, but here is your

24 hour warning!
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2023, 08:12:33 am »
+2

You may play an Action card from your hand twice. You may give each other player a copy of that card. If all other players got a copy, replay the Action card.

edited it so the kingscourt effect only triggers if all other players got a copy of the throned card

At best it's a Kings Court for you, so I don't think an infinite loop is possible, except for the ones KC already enables itself.
What do you mean by "give"? Does the copy come from your hand or the supply? I assume the latter, otherwise the card would be extremely weak.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2023, 12:10:41 pm »

An alternative formulation might be:

„You may choose that each other player gains a copy of that card.“

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2023, 12:55:14 pm »
+2

"You may have each other player gain a copy" if you want to rephrase it

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2023, 07:57:07 am »
+3

Contest closed!

The judging will now commence. Hopefully it won't take too long.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2023, 12:38:21 pm »
+4

hey faust you doing good
they/them

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2023, 03:25:17 am »
+4

hey faust you doing good
Sorry, had I busy couple of days. Hopefully the results will be ready later today.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2023, 05:20:08 am »
+5

Finally, it's done. Sorry about the delay; turns out judging two contests in a short span of time is a significant effort. There were some thought-provoking cards in here, which is cool but doesn't help with getting the judging done quickly.

4est: Sunken City
This is interesting, but it might be too good. If you have this in hand, and draw into another one on discard, You get double Lost City + discarding the worst card of your first hand. From there, all you need is some mid-turn gaining to make the rest of your turn absolutely insane. The effect is fun, but it needs a nerf. I might you as far as to just drop it to $3 and have it pull only a single card; maybe that's too close to Mountain Village though. Alternatively it could be raised to $5. 6/10

arowdok: Kale Cliffs
I think "discard your hand for X" needs some clarification on what what happens if my hand is 0 cards; did I successfully discard my hand then? It's clear that the intention here is yes, but intuitively I would say no when reading this, so the wording could be improved.
This quite cool I think. But I'm not the biggest fan of the guaranteed Province next turn if you play two of these, just seems a bit automatic. On the other hand, I don't know whether this would be strong enough if it required discarding at least one card. But that would still be a potential +$6 on a single card, so probably fine. 8/10

Augie279: Hillside Village
First I have rules issues. The way this is worded, technically, if I play a Stockpile with this and later on that same turn discard it from exile and play it again, the second play would still give me +Actions, but of course there's no way to track this. There's probably some wording fix for this but I can't think of one immediately.
Most often you'll probably use Coppers, but occasionally not. I have trashed Gold with Broker for +Actions before, and occasionally you'll want to play Gold for Actions here. Though Silver may be more of a sweet spot. Anyways, it's cute, fun and good. For extra fun, play a Diadem with this. 8/10

BryGuy: Secret Market
So this is... fine I guess. The trashing is a bit like Forager, but it can't trash Estates. The sifting is underwhelming. This seems like a pretty weak card. Also in terms of the challenge, if you choose to ignore both "you may"s, you just end up with Ruined Village, I don't think you want this too often. I feel like this a a case where you overreacted to criticism that your card is too strong and nerfed it into oblivion. 4/10

Chappy77: Hoarder
So Hoarder. Can I hoard sheep please? I want this with my Shepherd. Also a beast with Inheritance. Yes these are are just two combos, but these are some of the major other cards that interact with Estates. Other than that, it's probably alright. Maybe you could switch from Estate to Curse to make the insane combos go away and also to make pileouts with this a bit less profitable? 7/10

czzzz: Narcoleptic
On the face of it, this is not super exciting. But that's in keeping with the flavor, I guess? You get some scaled down Cellar/Candlestick Maker hybrid. What can I say? If you need +buy, you need +buy, and at least it's nonterminal. Ending your Action phase doesn't really seem a like decision on this; you will do it if and only if you have nothing else to do. It feels like we might as well get rid of the potential confusion of switching phases in the middle of resolving a Crown stack, like so "you may reveal a hand without Actions for +$1". Has the added benefit that it's thronable. 6/10

emtzalex: Foxfire
Foxfire is a twist on Hamlet, kind of, offering similar choices. However it would play very differently, being much more expensive and at the same time more restrictive. It can just be used for draw like Witch Hut. If you use the Village effect, its power level is probably not far off from regular Village, but the choices are what really push this ahead.
Minor pet peeve: I feel like the Treasure discarding might award +2 Buys. It is more aesthetically pleasing and memorable if all the numbers are multiples of 2, and it would make it a bit more unique. 9/10

fika monster: King's Feast
I worry that this gives excessive pileout control. If you go for a meagturn, King's Feast's downside compared to King's Court actually becomes an upside.
And outside of that, usually it just isn't worth it to give other players an Action if you just get to play an Action as a reward. An exception might be Cursers when the Curses run out with the extra play, but that's pretty narrow. So I don't like the megaturn enabling, and otherwise the card just doesn't seem very useful. 5/10

Gubump: Diviner
This is kind of just nonterminal Scavenger? I mean, it seems alright, maybe a bit underpriced when compared to Scavenger. But it got a lot of upvotes, which I don't quite get because it's not like this is a novel idea. 6/10

JW: Granary
So mostly this is a Village with a VP. I mean, any village in a storm, right? Losing the village split will be even worse than usual here, I'm not a fan of that. It's not exactly exciting. Then we have the discarding bit, which is just a bit gimmicky for my taste. There are some combos, though it doesn't help that both Trail and Village Green would combo here, both they are already villages, who needs that many villages? Ultimately... this isn't broken or anything but it's just a bit underwhelming. 5/10

LTaco: Cotillion
This seems rather niche. How often do I really want to get rid of my hand (not even discarding it mind you, just putting it back) just to turn each card into a Copper? It's good it I can then reliably draw my deck from a random hand of 3 cards. It can also act as payload if I have drawn my deck. So really this is like payload for overdraw. Which is kind of fine, but it doesn't excite me. 7/10

majiponi: Gravekeeper
This is a cute little effect, at its baseline it protects against trashing attacks but there are some neat tricks you can do with it. It's kind of sad that you need to trash it for the reaction, that limits its usefulness. I would rather see it with a discard (and potentially upping the price to $3 if it turns out that's too strong). 8/10

NoMoreFun: Burrow
I have to squint very hard for this to qualify for the contest. When I choose nothing with this, it's a Ruined Library.
Also, this feels a too powerful and swingy. +1 card, trash a card is already pretty decent at $3 (not Masquerade-level OP, but good). You can make it nonterminal in demand, even better. And then you have the option to... gain Provinces with this if there's Gold in the trash? Ok, at that point you lost me. 1/10

nyxfulloftricks: Benefactor
This doesn't really qualify for the contest, as the rules stated the card needs to give the choice to you, not your opponent. I'll give my thoughts nonetheless.
I do think this is too strong. In the first couple of turns, taking 2 Debt is almost as bad as skipping your buy phase for +2VP. You can already do that with Baths, and you basically never do. So I don't think other players would use the +2 VP option until at least the third play of a Benefactor bought in the opening. Which means you get a lot of value out of it for no effective downside, and that seems too good for me. 4/10

RovingBear: Merchant Ship
This also seems too good. Trash 2 cards is already a top-notch effect at $4. This lets you do that without hurting your economy on the turn you play it (since you get +$1, +1 card). And then it also conveniently either provides buy or gets rid of itself once done trashing. Too much.
And Merchant Ship is already an official card name. 4/10

SignError: Locksmith
Eh, I'm not a fan of this. Donald X. already stated that he regrets putting +3 card, +1 buy and handsize attack together in one card in Margrave. This is that but worse. For one, the attack is swingier. Margrave could also help opponents, but this makes whether it will help or hurt much more random. And then I also dislike when Attacks are their own counter. So no, this design just doesn't do it for me 3/10

silverspawn: Shrine
This certainly gave me something to think about. In general, I think the effect is quite cool and fun. The problem I'm getting to is if you use the trashing option, quite likely you'll use the gaining part to regain a Shrine (unless you don't want to trash/gain more cards). And that means the pile will run pretty quickly. And then it's just a bit swingy who will end up having trashed more before the pile is empty. Maybe this isn't as much as a problem as I anticipate, but it could easily be avoided altogether it this was just "choose one: gain or trash" (of course that would disqualify it from the contest, but it's never worth it making a design worse just to make it qualify). 8/10

weretheruler: Goldsmith
Goldsmith's effect is just kind of an insurance policy. At least you'll never do worse than $5. The problem is, I don't like insurance policies much, they're not fun.I would rather invest my money into something that actively makes my deck better than something that gives me recompense when my deck falls apart. Of course, a Smthy+ doesn't need to much to be viable, so balance-wise this is probably fine (if a bit on the weak side), but I feel like it's not very enjoyable. 6/10

Will(ow|iam): Tour Route
Tour Route gives you a crappy Guide each turn. This seems like a decent $4. I can see it leading to some frustration, as frequently you will regret the decision to discard; I don't mind that much, but for some it might take away from the "fun" factor. But otherwise I have nothing to complain about. 9/10

Xen3k: War Hounds
This is definitely too strong at $2. The fact that it can always be nonterminal means it's not too hard to spam these, and then it might get to a point where playing attacks gets bad. It also suffers from having too many options, I think. First you choose whether to discard, then you choose a reward, and this on a card that you'll probably play multiples of makes that gameplay pretty slow. I would definitely cut the Villagers option, maybe also the +card one and just make it discard 2 for +1 Coffers. 5/10

X-tra: Sanctum
I'm not entirely convinced we need to confusion that comes from playing Estates. I guess the major weird interaction is Inheritance, and you gave a ruling for that, so maybe not a huge issue? Of course a version of this that didn't play the Estates wouldn't need an FAQ, so there's that.
But more importantly, is this balanced? It seems alright. It has the potential to be strong but that takes some work. But we have to consider the challenge parameters, and I don't think this really qualifies here; seems to me that when you have an Estate in hand, you also want to use it, choosing not to play the Estate seems like a pretty fringe case if you've already invested in Sanctum. So some negative points for that. 6/10

xyz123: Depot
Depot is a neat card that sits in a nice niche. It's vanilla effect is just too strong for a $4 (being better than Conclave) and too weak for $5 (being worse than Festival), so it's a perfect candidate for a very situational added effect. And yeah, the effect is suitably situational. Delay an Action that you could be playing right now? Sometimes you choose such an option with Barge, but that's often when you worry about drawing stuff dead, and that's not happening with Depot. So you need a pretty specific reason to not want to play right now. I like this a lot. It could prove to be too situational, but I think Depoting another Depot is often enough a good move to not make it so. 10/10

Winner: Depot by xyz123
Runner-up:
Foxfire by emtzalex

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2023, 06:55:54 am »

Wow, thanks. Didn't expect that.

I will have a think about ideas and post the next contest later.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.