Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Week 60: Season 6 Finale  (Read 1444 times)

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
Fan Card Mechanics Week 60: Season 6 Finale
« on: March 07, 2023, 01:51:22 am »
+1

It's Week 60, and we've already had some interesting mechanics in Season 6, so we're doing the finale. Here is the objective:

Create a card/landscape that uses at least 2 different mechanics from Season 6.

For your design, feel free to use any number of supporting cards/landscapes (and it is fine if one or both of the Season 6 mechanics are on those), and feel free to use any number of official and/or other fan mechanics.

As a reminder, here are the Season 6 mechanics:
Week 52: It only gets Charter Charters (Duration - Events)
Week 53: Climb Every Mount Mounts
Week 54: At the Border Border mat
Week 55: Jewelry Jewelry
Week 56: With Great Power Power mechanic
Week 57: Temp Worker Non-Supply Remodelers
Week 58: Be Resourceful Resource Cards
Week 59: Play now, Buy later +Buy Tokens

My main judging criteria is whether I would be excited to see the design in a Kingdom. Important factors for me are:
  • balance -- is the card useful, but not overpowering (both in general and in a variety of Kingdoms);
  • playability -- the card is fun to play and works in more than one type of deck;
  • simplicity -- this doesn't always mean fewer words; a card with lots of text that, once you understand it, can be easily and intuitively be played is better than one with four lines of text that is hard to understand;
  • topicality -- the card (or cards or landscape) uses and combines the mechanics in interesting ways;
The deadline for submissions will be 7:00 UTC / 2:00 a.m. Eastern/Forum time on Tuesday, March 14, 2023. Please let me know if you have any questions.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +173
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Week 60: Season 6 Finale
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 10:08:55 am »
+2

This uses Week 57 with a modified Temp Worker and Week 59 with the same future buy used on several of my fan cards. I included a Villager to be help ensure the Day Worker was able to be played on some future turn.
The point of making this a duration is to nerf the extra Buy since a duration could miss the shuffle on occasion. The Villager is there to help ensure the Day Worker has a chance to be played later.
The Day Worker provides better treatment to $0 to offer some small acceleration to junk. this would allow most junk to become Silver at least if there was not a better option. An alternative i decided against would be to have an additional Action costing $2 added to the Kingdom.

Kind Teacher
$5 Action - Duration
+1 Gopher
Gain a Day Worker.
At the start of your next turn, +1 Card, +1 Villager.
Day Worker
$3* Action
+2 Cards
Trash a card from your hand. If it ... costs $0, gain a card costing up to $3 more; otherwise, gain a card costing up to $2 more.
Return this to its pile. Not in the Supply.

previous version
Kind Teacher
$5 Action - Duration
+1 Gopher
Gain a Day Worker. You may do this up to three times: discard a card from your hand for +1 Card.
At the start of your next turn, +1 Card, +2 Villagers.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 01:29:54 pm by BryGuy »

czzzz

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +240
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 07:35:38 pm »
+2

It's too far away from the real cards for me to know what I'm doing. Please please give me feedback so I can make this idea work and properly price it. You can even PM me if you'd like.

The idea is it rewards you for gaining/trashing cheap-ish cards, so when you see it in your hand you might change your plan in order to maximize its value. (Thematically, you're building a mosaic out of the little pieces.)

I'm hoping for it to be priced around or -- I can raise the power spent per choice to weaken it, and I can raise the power earned or ease the threshold for power gaining if it needs a boost. Plz help :-[ thx

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1434
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2023, 02:02:36 am »
+3

Basically a middlegame Project. The greening stop exists to prevent decionless endgame play , e.g. "got $10, buy Provinces, get 2 tokens for free".
I considered a non-Copper restriction or price range stuff (e.g. above $2). If the Charter can be abused, it is only via Villagers, so getting rid of the Villager option is the better way to nerf the card if that should be necessary.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 02:05:45 am »
+1

This uses Week 57 with a modified Temp Worker and Week 59 with the same future buy used on several of my fan cards.
Kind Teacher
$5 Action - Duration
+1 Gopher
Gain a Day Worker. You may do this up to three times: discard a card from your hand for +1 Card.
At the start of your next turn, +1 Card, +2 Villagers.
Day Worker
$3* Action
+2 Cards
Trash a card from your hand. If it ... costs $0, gain a card costing up to $3 more; otherwise, gain a card costing up to $2 more.

So this is a splitter that provides extra Buys, sifting, drawing and remodeling.
5 jobs seems a bit crazy. I mean, Saunavanto "merely" provides draw, splitting (to some degree) and trashing and it is beyond crazy.

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +173
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 09:33:36 am »

So this is a splitter that provides extra Buys, sifting, drawing and remodeling.
5 jobs seems a bit crazy. I mean, Saunavanto "merely" provides draw, splitting (to some degree) and trashing and it is beyond crazy.
So what is a "splitter"? That term is not in the wiki and searching here has not been helpful. Thank you for the constructive criticism.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 09:35:06 am by BryGuy »

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 01:01:25 pm »
+1

So what is a "splitter"? That term is not in the wiki and searching here has not been helpful. Thank you for the constructive criticism.

Splitter is an older term that means something like "village". There's a distinction between the terms, which I know was explained to me once, but I honestly don't remember what it is (I've only been actively playing / posting here since 2021).

Don't feel bad, you're not the only one who doesn't know what the term means.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 01:12:12 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2023, 01:48:26 pm »
+1

Same as village. It comes from physical play, where your strand of cards is split into two branches after you play a Village in order to help you with tracking.
I usually use village in the narrow sense of, well, any variants of Village, i.e. cantrips that provide an extra Action and splitter in the broader sense like e.g. Acting Troupe or Herald.

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +183
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2023, 11:03:55 am »
+2

Horde of Elephants
$3 Charter
Next turn, when you gain a card, +1 Worker.

J410

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: J410
  • Smile! =J
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2023, 12:53:28 pm »
+3

I was planning on making a Mount-Jewelry card, but ended up using three other mechanics from this season.
Storage Plan - $3 - Charter

+1 Power
At the start of your next turn, choose one:
+2 Workers, or +1 Card per Power and -2 Power.
Storage Plan* is a mix of Travelling Fair, Expedition and Sinister Plot. It provides flexible buys, though at a steeper cost and limited to once per turn. After some expensive buildup (depending on expected game length), you can buy a super-expedition, but be wary of diminishing returns each time you do so. You might want to save your workers for these turns.
*Name and artwork subject to change

Snorka

• Baron
  • he/him or they/them- no preference
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2023, 04:10:34 pm »
+2

A riff on Canal. The Workers soften the blow of losing your discount if you have the perfect chance at gaining that Province or need a 5-cost.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2023, 10:02:56 am »

24 Hour Warning!!!

I fell asleep without posting this, so I will extend the contest until this time tomorrow. Here's what I have for the submissions so far:

Kind Teacher (with Day Worker) by BryGuy
Mosaic by czzzz
Slave Trade by segura
Horde of Elephants by Will(ow|iam)
Storage Plan by J410
Span by Snorka

Please let me know if I missed anything.
he/him/his

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +629
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2023, 03:04:53 am »
+1

Work Elephant
$4 Action - Mount
Trash a card from your hand to gain an Action card costing up to $1 per Power more than it.

Mount: At the end of your turns, if you gained more than one card that turn, dismount; otherwise, +1 Power.
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2023, 11:00:35 am »

Contest closed

I will try to get the judging done in the next day. Here's what I have for the submissions so far:

Kind Teacher (with Day Worker) by BryGuy
Mosaic by czzzz
Slave Trade by segura
Storage Plan by J410
Span by Snorka
Work Elephant by Erick648

Please let me know if I missed anything.
he/him/his

Snorka

• Baron
  • he/him or they/them- no preference
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2023, 10:35:32 am »
+1

Could we get an update on any judging progress?

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2023, 08:31:19 pm »
+3

Sorry for the delay. Had family stuff. I'll get the results out tonight.
he/him/his

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2023, 11:56:54 pm »
+1

Fan Card Mechanics Week 60: Season 6 Finale

These were some interesting mechanics that definitely had good potential to combine in various ways. I appreciate the creative designs you all came up with.

Kind Teacher
$5 Action - Duration
+1 Gopher
Gain a Day Worker.
At the start of your next turn, +1 Card, +1 Villager.
Day Worker
$3* Action
+2 Cards

{Feedback}At first glance, this seems like a bit of a random mix of effects. To be honest, I'm still not particularly sure what the point of the Gopher (rather than a regular +Buy) is, other than the fact that, later in the game the remodeling will mean that your deck is much better, so you'll want the extra buys then.

The fact that it automatically gains a Day Worker means that, except at the end of the game, each play generates a play of a Day Worker, meaning that the effect is inevitable. If you save the Villager you get for the Day Worker, it becomes a non-terminal remodeler, with a very strong bonus of turning a $0 Copper or Curse into a $3 at-least-a-Silver, which is much better than a $2 ususally-an-Estate. When you play KT to an empty deck, the +1 Card will increase the chances of getting the Day Worker sooner, which (somewhat) lessens the sting of it missing the shuffle.

Even with the Duration disadvantage and the delay in getting the Day Worker, this still strikes me as a bit too strong.

Note: Day Worker can just say "If it ... costs $0, gain a card costing up to $3 more"

Mosaic • $4 • Treasure - Jewelry
+1 Power per card costing $2 or $3 you gained or trashed this turn.
You may spend Power. For each spent, choose one: +$2, or +1 Worker.

Mosaic by czzzz

A good use of the Jewelry mechanics ability to be played either before or after buying: before, you can cash out and use as a source of $ or Buys; after, you get extra power from what you bought. This can also work in-between, as you can buy an inexpensive card, play Mosaic to get power from it, then spend the power right away for $2 or a Worker (which you can turn into a buy). It's also a nice combo of the Jewelry mechanic with the Power mechanic. Since you will have to charge then benefit, you need to be able to carry over the bonus to subsequent turns.

However, the fact that this gives both +$ and +Buy, and that you can cash out as much Power as you want on a single play of Mosaic, makes this a powerful megaturn enabler. Four Power gets you a Province, and each 5 you have in addition to that gets you another Province and the Worker you can convert into a Buy to get it. Getting 2 Province for 9 Power could easily swing a game. It gets even stronger when combined with Horse gaining, which will often allow players to add multiple Power per play of Mosaic. With Stampede and a little trashing, you could get to a state where every turn you play the Horses you previously gained, play 5 Coppers, buy Stampede, then play 2-3 Mosaics to get +10 or +15 Power. Given that 39 Power gets you 8 Provinces, this could build to a huge turn very quickly. On the other hand, an official card (Collection) is an even more busted combo with Stampede, so I can't hold that specific thing too strongly against you. Still, I'd suggest that you consider either limiting how many Power you can spend per play of Mosaic, or have it only gain Power from cards gained costing $4 or more.

Slave Trade - $4 - Charter
Until you gain a Victory card, when you gain a card, you may overpay for it. For each $1 you overpaid, +1 Buy token or +1 Villager.

Slave Trade by segura

This is an interesting design. While not (in most cases) game-changing, it provides a useful tool for getting +Actions and +Buys. It probably won't be enough to fuel an engine that is otherwise without +Actions, but the extra villagers can cover the occassional terminal collision, as well as providing (in many contexts) a source of +Buy. It reminds me most of Exploration, and I think it's probably well prived at $4 and giving one token per $1 overpaid.

I think you've got the syntax wrong. Even since the recent changes, Overpay still happens when you buy a card, not when you gain it (since you have to be paying for a card to overpay). Thus, I think it should say
Until you gain a Victory card, on your turns, all [non-Victory ]cards have "Overpay: Per $1 overpaid, choose one: +1 Buy token or +1 Villager."

Horde of Elephants
$3 Charter
Next turn, when you gain a card, +1 Worker.

While this wasn't explicitly stated, my presumption has been that Workers, like Coffers, can be played at any time, including immediately after you receive them. This means that, on the turn after you buy Horde of Elephants, cards don't cost buys, because when you buy a card, you will gain it, which will give you a Worker, which you can then convert into a Buy.

This also means that you can autopile any card in the Supply costing $0. In a game with Tower the first player to hit $3 (which, in about 95% of games will be the first player) can buy HoE on turn one, buy 1-2 Estates and all of the Coppers and Curses on turn 2, then buy the rest of the Estates on turn 3 to 7/8/9, always winning the game. With Guildhall, you can buy all of the Coppers and 5 Provinces, then keep buying Duchies. Triumph, Quarry, Ferry, and many other cards lead to all kinds of absurd combos.

This is an interesting idea, but it's clearly busted as is.

Storage Plan - $3 - Charter
+1 Power
At the start of your next turn, choose one:
+2 Workers, or +1 Card per Power and -2 Power.

Storage Plan by J410

A cool use of 3 different mechanics. I like that a player can wait until the following turn (seeing what they have in hand) to decide if they want to add to their Power and get the +Buy tokens or spend some of the power for +Cards. The fact that you get all of the +Cards for your Power but only lose 2 means that you can "spend" the power for +Cards more than once. This helps balance the fact that you have to spend $3 for each Power you have, and keeps it from being far weaker than Secret Plot (which only requires you to spend $4 once, ever). The Workers can both allow you to buy a storage plan (in addition to something else) and/or be a benefit on the major turns when you get +Cards. A really solid entry.

Span • $5 • Charter
The next time you gain a card costing $4 or more, +2 Workers. Until then, during your turns, cards cost $1 less.

Span by Snorka

An interesting combo of discounting and a source of +Buy. It gives you a temporary Canal, but only until you gain a higher-cost (i.e. should have cost $5+) card. When you do, it gives you +Buy tokens, which you can potentially use after your next purchase of a Span. However, at $5, it's a pretty high cost for a relatively limited benefit. Absent certain combos (e.g. Captain) or times when you are trying to hit something above $5 but don't want anything at $5 (which won't be the case in most games, which have strong $5 Kingdom cards), you will usually be better off just getting the $5 purchase.

Work Elephant
$4 Action - Mount
Trash a card from your hand to gain an Action card costing up to $1 per Power more than it.

Mount: At the end of your turns, if you gained more than one card that turn, dismount; otherwise, +1 Power.

A scaling remodeler, which gets stronger (using the Power mechanic) the longer you keep one of them Mounted. It's remodel function is limited to gaining Action cards. In a lot of games, the first one you gain will stay mounted until you use another copy, which, if you decide to open with a Work Elephant, then add to payload before getting another, could easily be 4-5 turns, or more. At that point, you're probably going to be able to remodel anything of your junk into most available Action cards.

Without the Action card restriction, it would be way to easy to let it get up to 6 or 8 power and just start turning your Coppers into Golds or Provinces. But having it can limit the card's usefulness, depending on what is available. Of course, if you do have 4 power, you can get anohter WE and Mount it (getting rid of the junk without adding to your deck), but it will (usually) only stay out until you play WE again. However, in a game with solid engine components, it can easily become a huge contributor to accellerating your engine building, by simultaniously removing dead cards and adding those that boost your engine. I also really like the use of both mechanics.

he/him/his

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2023, 12:00:45 am »
+1

Fan Card Mechanic Contest #60: Season 6 Finale

The Results

Thanks to everyone who participated. Here are the results:

Honorable Mention:

Mosaic by czzzz

Runner Up:

Storage Plan by J410

Winner:

he/him/his

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2023, 01:44:11 pm »
+1

So, after posting this, but before most of the submissions came in, I wanted to see if I could design some entries. Since there were an even number of mechanics, I decided to randomly pair them off, then design a card/landscape for each pair. Here they are:

Week 53: Climb Every Mount and Week 57: Temp Worker

Elephant • $5 • Action - Mount
+$3
Gain a Trade Envoy to your hand.

Mount: At the start of you turn, +1 Action. Dismount when you gain a Gold.

Trade Envoy • $3* • Action
Trash a card from your hand. If it's a Treasure, gain a Treasure costing up to $3 more than it. Otherwise, gain a card costing up to $2 more than it. Return this to its pile.

(This is not in the Supply.)

Week 55: Jewelry and Week 58: Be Resourceful

Seafarer's Necklace • $5 • Treasure - Jewelry
$2
Choose one: +1 Buy; or gain a Resource for each card costing $4 or more you've gained this turn.

Week 59: Play now, Buy later and Week 54: At the Border

Smuggler Market • $4 • Action - Night
If it's your Night phase, +1 Stall per card on your Border mat. Otherwise, choose one: gain a card costing up to $4; or gain a card costing up to $2 per Stall you spend.

Week 56: With Great Power and Week 52: It only gets Charter

Corrida de Toros • $4 • Charter
At the start of your next turn, choose one: trash a card from your hand for +1 Power per $1 it costs; or gain a Bull.

Bull • $4* • Action
+1 Action
Choose one: +1 Action; or +1 Card per Power, discard a card per 2 Power (round down), then return this to its pile.

(This is not in the Supply.)

he/him/his

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +629
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2023, 01:33:04 pm »
+1

Thanks, emtzalex.  I'm glad you liked the card.

I don't know if there's supposed to be a gap between "seasons," but unless someone tells me that there is, I'll try to get the next contest posted in the next couple of days---Saturday at the latest depending on my work.
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 21 queries.