Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tactics (new landscape type)  (Read 747 times)

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +148
    • View Profile
Tactics (new landscape type)
« on: March 02, 2023, 06:55:18 am »
+3

As Events to are to non-Duration action cards, and Projects are to permanent Durations such as Hireling, so TACTICS are to normal Durations. Like Projects, you place a cube when you buy one. Unlike Projects, you remove it when the effect activates or terminates. Projects and Tactics share cubes, meaning you are limited to two active Tactics/Projects at a time. You can't have both cubes on the same Tactic.

Here is an initial brainstorm of 10 Tactics which I hope to add to my landscape-only expansion. I still need to playtest most of them, but early feedback welcome!

Updated cards mentioned in comments: Security.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 02:42:45 am by Udzu »

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
Re: Tactics (new landscape type)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 10:25:33 am »

In general, i like this idea.  :)
Some of these could use some tweaking.
* Espionage should cost more, maybe $4 and come with a penalty like take your -Card token.
* Tourism should cost more, maybe $5. At $4 i'd include take your -$1 token.
* Nepotism: If you have $8, why would you not buy a Province? I'd price it at $7 and instead of two Duchies, i'd go with a Duchy and a card costing up to $3. That way instead of being flooded in Victory cards at the discretion of another player, you can gain another card to provide some balance to your Dominion.
* The others look good as presented.  :)

Udzu

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 11:18:09 am »

In general, i like this idea.  :)
Thanks!

Some of these could use some tweaking.
* Espionage should cost more, maybe $4 and come with a penalty like take your -Card token.
* Nepotism: If you have $8, why would you not buy a Province? I'd price it at $7 and instead of two Duchies, i'd go with a Duchy and a card costing up to $3. That way instead of being flooded in Victory cards at the discretion of another player, you can gain another card to provide some balance to your Dominion.
* The others look good as presented.  :)

Remember that with all these examples you're postponing when you're gaining the card. Espionage might not be for a number of turns (and you don't control what card you get or when). Tourism you can control, though you still need to be happy to pad our your hand with greens. And Nepotism lets you postpone adding one green now in exchange for adding two greens later (and possibly helps province juggling).

That said, I might bump Tourism to $4 and decrease Nepotism to $7. Actually I’ll try them as written first, then reprice if necessary.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 02:10:20 am by Udzu »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1438
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 02:17:49 pm »
+1

I would stick with the cost. If you are behind, two delayed (that matters a lot) Duchies for $8 is quite good.

But a Hoard effect for $4? That possible only happens at the next turn or later? Nah, $3 is fine for such a weak effect.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 03:25:49 pm »

In terms of the analogy, half of these are like regular Durations, and the other half are like Reserve cards.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 11:14:27 pm »
+1

Security seems annoying to track if the opponent is playing multiple Attacks per turn.

Indulgences is very close to turn 1 autoresign territory if you open 2/5 or 3/4 while your opponent opens 4/3 or 5/2, which happens 25% of the time and a separate 25% of the time for the opponent. So basically half the time Indulgences is in the kingdom, one player at random gets to start the game with what's probably an insurmountable advantage.

That would make it strictly worse than Borrow.

Tourism for $3 isn't strictly weaker than Camel Train, because sometimes you don't want the Camel Train itself in your deck and sometimes you don't have time to buy a Gold when you're in a hurry to green instead, but it certainly doesn't compare all that favorably to Camel Train either and Camel Train is a weak card. For $5, it would be like the weakest $5 in the game.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Udzu

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2023, 02:11:07 am »
+2

In terms of the analogy, half of these are like regular Durations, and the other half are like Reserve cards.

True. Though Reserves are just Durations in disguise :)

Udzu

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2023, 02:14:50 am »

Security seems annoying to track if the opponent is playing multiple Attacks per turn.

Indulgences is very close to turn 1 autoresign territory if you open 2/5 or 3/4 while your opponent opens 4/3 or 5/2, which happens 25% of the time and a separate 25% of the time for the opponent. So basically half the time Indulgences is in the kingdom, one player at random gets to start the game with what's probably an insurmountable advantage.

Security is actually written incorrectly. I meant it to protect against all attacks played but require just $1 per turn-with-attacks to keep (not $1 per attack). I’ve rephrased it so it works (hopefully).

You’re definitely right re Indulgences. How about this as a potential fix? (upping the price but also making it more flexible so less swingy)

« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 03:04:43 am by Udzu »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2023, 08:20:00 am »

You’re definitely right re Indulgences. How about this as a potential fix? (upping the price but also making it more flexible so less swingy)

It's definitely a lot less problematic, and probably still strong enough to get bought.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Snorka

• Baron
  • he/him or they/them- no preference
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2023, 10:37:17 am »

Security seems awful to track. It's also completely useless in games with no Attacks. The rest of these all seem pretty good.
Also, what makes these different from Charters?
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=gom6cs496p9ieabsivh93kv2i3&topic=21586.msg899037#msg899037
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 10:42:49 am by Snorka »

Udzu

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2023, 12:43:58 pm »

Security seems awful to track. It's also completely useless in games with no Attacks. The rest of these all seem pretty good.
Also, what makes these different from Charters?
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=gom6cs496p9ieabsivh93kv2i3&topic=21586.msg899037#msg899037

Very little as far as I can tell! I actually discovered Charters for the first time earlier today when I looked at the latest Mechanics contest, which refers back to them. Some good ideas in the contest (a few of them fairly similar to some of mine, but none identical).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.581 seconds with 21 queries.