Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #180: Pay the Iron Price  (Read 3634 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #180: Pay the Iron Price
« on: February 28, 2023, 03:28:43 am »
+4

WDC #180: Pay the Iron Price

There is a new Plunder mechanic yet unexplored in these contests, and I am here to remedy that.

This week's contest is twofold. Each entry should be a pair of designs.

The first design should gain Loot somehow. Cards, Allies, Projects, Traits, etc. - pretty much anything goes so long as it gains Loot.

The second design should be an addition to the Loot pile. This should be a card that might well be included in Plunder - thus, it should not use any expansion-specific mechanics from sets other than Plunder.

Judgment criteria:
Other than the usual criteria like balance, fun to play with etc. there are some particular things to note here: As the design space for cards the gain Loot is wider, that entry will make up the bigger part of my judgment, roughly two thirds. When designing a Loot card, make sure that it fits well with the other Loots. Ideally, it would fill some sort of niche left untouched by the official Loots.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Ethan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #180: Pay the Iron Price
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 11:48:12 am »
+2

Siege -
Project
At the end of your Buy phase, add a token here, then gain a card costing equal to the number of tokens here from Supply or the Loot pile.
Map -
Treasure - Loot

+1 Buy
-
This turn, cards cost less.
In the process of sieging the city, keep plundering the wealth and eventually storm the city to get the loot. If you have a map, your plundering will be even more efficient.

BryGuy

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +157
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 12:05:59 pm »
+1

So after reviewing all of the Loots and Loot gainers, i noticed that there was no overt interaction with Silver. I went for a PickAxe variant, but modified to get a $4 price point since that is also not used.
Silver Plate allows you to either replace your Coppers or acts like a Trader. It limits to Non-Treasure to prevent Silver triplication.

Silver Trader
$4 Treasure
+1 Buy
You may choose one: gain a silver; or exchange two silvers from your hand for a Loot.
-
When you trash this, gain a Silver.

Silver Plate
$7* Treasure - Loot
+1 Buy
You may choose one to trash from your hand: up to two Treasures to gain a Silver per Treasure; or a Non-Treasure to gain a Silver per $1 it costs.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 12:10:03 pm by BryGuy »

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +148
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 03:09:19 pm »

The second design should be an addition to the Loot pile. This should be a card that might well be included in Plunder - thus, it should not use any expansion-specific mechanics from sets other than Plunder.

Quick clarification: what counts as an expansion-specific mechanic? Presumably anything that requires a physicial component (e.g. tokens, Exile mat) is out. But what about card types that were only used in one expansion but require nothing beyond the explanation in the rulebook, such as Nights and Reserves?

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 03:51:12 pm »
+5

Goldsmith
Action
$3

+1 Card
+1 Action

Bullion
Treasure-Victory-Loot
$7*

$3
+1 Buy

Worth 1VP for every 2 Loot cards you have (round down)

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 04:19:25 pm »
+3

Dominion has Loot, so how about some Loot Crates? Crate lets you play a little Monty Hall game and you can keep playing if you discard Silvers.

Don't like what Loot you got? Furnace lets you trade in your Loots for other Loots.

czzzz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2023, 04:46:42 pm »
+5

Lapidary is a soft terminal that especially enjoys getting played in the Buy phase, rewarding cards like Orb and Staff.
"Next time" was a key mechanic of Plunder, and there's quite a few cards in it that trash, so I figured Homing Pigeon would be a natural addition.

Originally Homing Pigeon was Boomerang and went to your hand when you trashed stuff. But I didn't want to be able to play it multiple times in one turn, so I settled on this.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 04:51:31 pm by czzzz »

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2023, 12:41:08 am »
+2

A Forge-Pickaxe-minigame thing that lets you gain Loot! Are said Loot giving you a bit too much money? It's alright, Watch buys you a bit of time.

Rules Clarifications
-You may only trash cards with Jeweler if their combined costs totals $7. If they cost any more or any less (including Debt and Potions), Jeweler will not trash them.
-Watch only stays out an extra turn if you fulfill its $2 unspent requirement.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 12:44:24 am by Augie279 »
they/them

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2023, 12:59:49 am »
+1

Gangplank
$5 - Action
+3 Cards.
You may discard three cards to gain a Loot if you haven't already gained one this turn.
(Originally was discard two cards for a loot, but that seemed strong compared to other cards that give Loot.)

Signet Ring
$7 - Treasure - Loot
+$3
Choose one: +1 Buy, or set aside an Action you have in play to play it at the start of your next turn.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2023, 04:16:05 am »

Quick clarification: what counts as an expansion-specific mechanic? Presumably anything that requires a physicial component (e.g. tokens, Exile mat) is out. But what about card types that were only used in one expansion but require nothing beyond the explanation in the rulebook, such as Nights and Reserves?
I would also count Nights and Reserves as expansion-specific mechanics.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2023, 11:54:39 am »
+3

My submissions:

Spelunker • $3 • Action
+1 Action
Reveal the top card of your deck and put it into your hand. If it's an...
Action card, +1 Action
Treasure card, +1 Buy
Spelunker, gain a Loot
Ornate Chest • $7* • Treasure - Duration - Loot
$3
+1 Buy
The next time you gain a Loot, put it and this onto your deck afterwards.

My submissions are Spelunker and Ornate Chest. For my Loot gainer, I made Spelunker, an always-cantrip which is conditionally a village or Market Square. If you can collide two of them, they can work together to find some Loot deep in those caves.

My submission for an addition to the Loot pile is Ornate Chest. In addition to the standard +$3 and +1 Buy, OC use the "next time" mechanic to topdeck both itself and the new piece of Loot. While keeping this out of your deck while it waits for another Loot gain can be a disadvantage, especially in games when Loot is infrequently gained (e.g. with Search), it also provides a strong bonus, not only getting you your new Loot more quickly, but also ensuring (absent handsize attacks) that you'll have 2 Loots in the same turn.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2023, 10:57:25 pm »
+2

Heist
Action - $5
Gain and play a Loot. Each other player may gain a Gold.

Circlet
Action/Treasure/Loot - $7
+1 Buy
Choose one: +3 Cards or +$3
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 12:46:36 am by NoMoreFun »

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2023, 06:47:02 pm »
+1

Prospector
$5 - Action
+2 Cards and +1 Action
If you have cards in play with a total cost in coins of exactly $10, $11, or $12, set this aside. If you did, return it its pile at the start of Clean-up to gain a Loot. 

Notes: If it gained the Loot immediately, it would typically be stronger than Laboratory. Gaining the Loot at Clean-up makes it weaker and forces more interesting tradeoffs, because on the turn you use it for draw you don’t yet have the Loot that you’d like to draw. You might also have to choose whether to trade Prospectors for Loot relatively early in your turn, before you know precisely how good your turn will be, or if you draw a hand of only Prospectors you might be forced to trade one or more in to continue your turn.

FAQ: The cost of cards you have in play will typically count this card itself.

Tapestry
$7 - Treasure Duration Loot
+
+1 Buy
At the start of your next turn, you may play an Action from your hand twice.

Notes:
I considered allowing it to also play Treasures twice, but that seems like it would make it too strong and too easy to integrate into any deck. I consciously chose it to have +Buy because there are games where whether your Loot has +Buy loot can be decisive. Sorry if giving only 2 coins messes up your planning! It seems on the strong side for Loot, but it’s weaker if you get it early because you don’t yet have the Actions to reliably support it.

Snorka

• Baron
  • he/him or they/them- no preference
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2023, 12:13:55 am »
+3

New versions:

Two cards doing similar things! I think they're mostly balanced but in games with lots of attacks Usurper might be too good.
Edit: Cards nerfed after Holger's criticism.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 06:06:08 pm by Snorka »

SignError

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: SignError
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2023, 01:14:25 am »
+2

Procurement
$5 - Night - Duration

At the start of your next turn, trash this and 3 Loots from their pile, then gain a Loot from the trash and play it.

Guildry Symbol
$7* - Treasure - Loot
$3
+1 Buy
This turn, when you gain a card, you may pay $1 for +1 Buy.

Procurement lets you hunt for specific Loots more easily.  At first I tried to come up with wording where you would reveal 3 Loots, pick one, and then put the others on the bottom of the pile (kind of like Black Market), but it was easier and more fun to use the trash.  It also lets you play a Loot at the beginning of your turn, which leads to some interesting interactions.  Notably Endless Chalice is a little better (you get the $1 and Buy both now and later this turn), and Prize Goat is a little worse (you might have fewer options for trashing).  Once Spell Scroll has been found, it is always an option.  Playing a Treasure at the start of your turn also has a very nice synergy with Landing Party.

Loots are often significant in kingdoms with no other +Buy, so it’s sad when you’re hunting for that and can’t get it.  Yet none of the existing Loots give you lots of Buys, so I figured I would do that. Guildry Symbol is the other half of Travelling Fair that Insignia didn’t take.  Originally I had it provide $4 and no initial +1 Buy, but I changed it to bring it more in line with the other Loots and focus its identity.  In the end, it’s a lot like Amphora and Orb.  Sometimes they can do something special, but often they are just +1 Buy and +$3, and I’m OK with that.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2023, 04:44:09 am »
+1

Two cards doing similar things! I think they're mostly balanced but in games with lots of attacks Usurper might be too good.

I think Usurper may already be too strong on its own as you can trigger its second effect just by buying another copy of it yourself (until the pile is empty, but by then you'll have gained dozens of Loots).
Compared to Cutthroat, it gives an extra Throne Room after fulfilling their respective gain condition, which is a huge advantage.

Blood Crown is better than Platinum when you can play another Loot or a Gold with it, or a Grand Market+Throne Room when playing an Attack with it in your Action phase. But it might be fine since you wont always have such a collision.

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2023, 02:48:20 pm »
+6

Here is my entry

Omnibus
$4
Action
Reveal your hand. If the revealed cards all have different names, gain a Loot to your hand. Otherwise, trash up to 2 cards from your hand.
This card is decent trasher comparable to steward. The biggest upside to me is the option to trash either 1 or 2 cards not always just 2 cards. Other things that make this card weaker then Steward are this new card can never draw cards, it can not trash card when only unique cards are left in hand; so if players are down to 1 Copper and 1 Estate then tough luck. The huge upside vs steward comes with the first clause, a flat +$2 compared to gain a loot to hand. This card is less flexible then steward as players don't make the choice directly but more indirectly by and sculpting like Menagerie requires. Unlike Menagerie this card helps set it self up via trashing, also when played in multiples it shouldn't mess it self up like Menagerie's increased hand size tends to do. Overall the unique name theme seemed appropriate given loot's diversity of names. It am trying this card out a $4 to limit opening two of them, as might it be too fast. Also after a few play test I could see this increase the amount it trashes to 3 cards but trashers that do other things late game can be quite powerful.

Endless Horde
$7*
Treasure - Loot
$3
+1 Buy
-
When you trash this, you may play it.
This card is a bit narrow for a Loot as not all boards have trash so I considered expanding the trigger like Trail but the clean simplicity is too nice. It should pairs well with mine and remodel effects. It does a few strange things to Thief effects, mostly dodging them with not much other benefit beyond that, unless player can spend money during other players' turns via other custom cards.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 05:10:18 pm by arowdok »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2023, 03:08:53 pm »
+3

Omnibus
$4
Action
Reveal your hand. If the revealed cards all have different names, gain a Loot to your hand. Otherwise, you may trash up to 2 cards from your hand.

If you are doing something "up to" a certain number of times, you don't need "you may" because "up to X" includes 0. So this can just say "trash up to 2 cards from your hand." See Bat, Chapel, Cemetery, Secluded Shrine, and Souk.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2023, 05:07:46 pm »

Omnibus
$4
Action
Reveal your hand. If the revealed cards all have different names, gain a Loot to your hand. Otherwise, you may trash up to 2 cards from your hand.

If you are doing something "up to" a certain number of times, you don't need "you may" because "up to X" includes 0. So this can just say "trash up to 2 cards from your hand." See Bat, Chapel, Cemetery, Secluded Shrine, and Souk.

Thanks I will update

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2023, 08:44:55 pm »
+3

Repurpose - $5
+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand.
Gain 2 cards costing less than it. If you gained a...
Curse, gain a Loot.
Treasure card, gain a Spoils.
Victory card, +2 %.
Action card, gain 2 Horses.
Last Will - $7*
Treasure - Loot
Choose one: Trash this to gain a Duchy and a Silver to your hand; or +1 Buy and +$3.

Repurpose can only trigger each of the conditional effects once. So, if you gain 2 Curses off it, you only gain 1 Loot.

Edit: simplified the wording on Repurpose.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 10:50:59 am by Xen3k »

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2023, 11:57:02 pm »

Heist
Action - $5

Circlet
+1 Buy

Heist is just about strictly better than courtier.

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2023, 12:37:01 am »
+1

Billboard
$6 Project
When you gain a silver, you may exchange it for a Loot.

Succulent
$7* Treasure - Loot
+$3
+1 Buy
Put any number of cards from your hand onto your deck.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2023, 02:20:50 am »
+2

Heist
Action - $5

Circlet
+1 Buy

This is totally wrong as you ignored that Courtier has a fourth option, that not every Loot provides an extra Buy and that the other players get a benefit.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 02:22:11 am by segura »

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2023, 10:49:18 am »

Heist
Action - $5

Circlet
+1 Buy

This is totally wrong as you ignored that Courtier has a fourth option, that not every Loot provides an extra Buy and that the other players get a benefit.

Sorry. I was tired.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2023, 01:08:55 pm »
+1

Does platinum count as a seperate Expansion and thus this is disqualified?

Event: Dividend
6 cost
Gain a platinum. Each other players gains a loot.

And the loot:

Island treasure
Treasure loot: 7 cost*
$2
You may put this and a card from your hand aside for the rest of the game.
If you did, +1 buy and $2
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 21 queries.